Upgrade my 09 CTS to a bluetooth VCIM
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Upgrade my 09 CTS to a bluetooth VCIM in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I want to put a bluetooth VCIM in my 09 CTS (non nav). I have read so many threads that ...
    rcssr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS COUPE AWD

Question Upgrade my 09 CTS to a bluetooth VCIM

I want to put a bluetooth VCIM in my 09 CTS (non nav). I have read so many threads that my brain is scrambled, but none seem to be case specific to my car. 2 connector, 3 connector, post 2011, pre 2011, Buick, Impala....UGH! Can someone tell me which one will 'plug in' to my car so that my bluetooth will work. Onstar is OK but I won't use it, that said I like everything to work properly if possible. Do I have to buy an antenna or does my car combine the existing one? I am ready to head to the salvage yards but I would love to know what is the correct fit. I know that the ideal fit would be out of a bluetooth 09 CTS but is that my only option??
    Thanks, Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale
    Yes get one out of any cts 3.6, and if it's after a 2011 then it will have just two antennas on it so you just don't plug in the onstar gps, if you have Nav. On start will still work along with on start app for your phone, on starr just won't be able locate you. What options does your car have

I Just seen its non nav. So you Should be fine getting any, 3.6 CTS. but if you get a 11+ then you will get the APP, and if you want OnStar to have your location then you will need to switch out the Antenna on the roof as it has the diplexer built in. mine had a free year left as it came off a new CTS So I just left the VIN never attempted to get it programmed. Remote door worked fine also. If you Have Remote start and want the app and get 11+ Get one from a CTS with Remote Start. Or else you will need the VCIM programmed to get the Remote start from your phone working

rcssr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS COUPE AWD

Re: Upgrade my 09 CTS to a bluetooth VCIM

Thank you soooo much for your detailed response. My car does not have remote start. If I get a VCIM from a doner with it, will I be able to upgrade that as well? The picture you sent is from an 09? I have not yet removed mine so I don't know what it looks like. Does my wireing look like the one in your pix? Not sure I understand about the antenna thing. I am a pretty good and savy wrench but electronics is not my thing. What is a multiplexer??
    Thanks again, Bob

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rcssr View Post
    Thank you soooo much for your detailed response. My car does not have remote start. If I get a VCIM from a doner with it, will I be able to upgrade that as well? Id Say it probably wont work but who knows The picture you sent is from an 09? That's my 08 With the 11 VCIM Mounted on the rear deck lid I have not yet removed mine so I don't know what it looks like. Does my wireing look like the one in your pix? Should be the Same Not sure I understand about the antenna thing. I am a pretty good and savy wrench but electronics is not my thing. What is a multiplexer?? It basically splits the 2 connections back out to two.Thanks again, Bob
    So If you want onstar to totally work then you would need the antenna off a 11+ (that's if your going after a 11+) But your mileage may vary on getting it programmed to your VIN if that's a concern for you.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2657408

Heres some more pics from that project.

danoh123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 Premium AWD

How much did you spend for this module? I wonder how much new antenna would cost??? Lastly, I wonder if the dealer would be willing to do this

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red
    I spent about $145 for a used '10 vcim. Does not matter if the car hadnav or not. Put it in my 08. Plug n play. BT works flawlessly with my nav. Never activated onstar. Handsfree and voice commands work great. Had to download an '10 instruction manual to get the command list. The bluetooth antenna came with my unit. Plugs into vcim which is under the rear window. $20+ dollars if you need to buy it. The 09 vcim had a software bug that iirc only involved the nav. The '10 mpdel has an update. The '11 model also has the smartphone app which is cool but that is where you get into issues with antenna on the roof as they changed the no. of wires going to it. I ducked that one.

I have the related vcim model numbers in my files if you want them. But I found them all online.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by leigh1322 View Post
    ... Never activated onstar. ....
    How does this all work without onstar activated?

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN

How does this all work without onstar activated?
    It simply adds the Bluetooth function to your car...Onstar isn't needed for that to work.

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red
    It uses the microphone and speakers from the onstar module, plus the voice command section. Since that stuff was already built into the onstar module, and it is very high quality there was no need to duplicate it, and they added the bluetooth function at that point in the hardware. So it is like an extra chip in the onstar module and the bluetooth antenna hangs out the back of that box.
    So you get high quality mic hardware yet the BT is real easy for us to add.

frais is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 3.6 DI

So i just came across this . Totally need this in my 08 3.6 cts with no nav. I just want the bluetooth. I attempted to read and understand what you wrote. But I drew blanks. What i got out of it is all i need is to rip off some electrical parts off a cts 3.6 that has blutooth and install it to my cts. then download the language and install some how.

Quote Originally Posted by frais
    So i just came across this . Totally need this in my 08 3.6 cts with no nav. I just want the bluetooth. I attempted to read and understand what you wrote. But I drew blanks. What i got out of it is all i need is to rip off some electrical parts off a cts 3.6 that has blutooth and install it to my cts. then download the language and install some how.
    I'm not positive about this but you may be able to just swap out your VCIM to get Bluetooth...I have the NAV but wouldn't think that would be required for Bluetooth. There's a great thread here that shows you what's involved. I added myself and it wasn't too difficult of a job...few hours and a lot of patience. Just to clarify, this will give you a Bluetooth connection for your cell phone. If you want to stream audio, you'll need to purchase a Bluetooth adapter with 3.5mm adapter for the center console.

frais is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 3.6 DI

So this wasn't too difficult? other than taking a chunk of your day. which is fine. Now all i need is a VCIM with bluetooth? If i can find a second gen cts with a VCIM with bluetooth, all i have to do is replace mine with this one? The above post says he had all the features so i think he might of gotten it with more available features.

Quote Originally Posted by frais
    So this wasn't too difficult? other than taking a chunk of your day. which is fine. Now all i need is a VCIM with bluetooth? If i can find a second gen cts with a VCIM with bluetooth, all i have to do is replace mine with this one? The above post says he had all the features so i think he might of gotten it with more available features.
    It's not for the faint hearted but not a bad job overall. Yes, I got a VCIM from a 2011 CTS, which disabled my onstar. Did the other guy(s) benefit by more features, no. (i only lost onstar which I cancelled anyway) You want the generation 8 VCIM if you want to keep onstar...I know others have installed different units without losing it but you'd have to search the threads for the model numbers. Lookup "2008 Gen 7 to Gen 8 OnStar" in this forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.