So I Go To Pick Up My New Car And....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, So I Go To Pick Up My New Car And.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So I finally traded in my problematic 05' CTS for a shiny new 2010 model. I am absolutely in love ...
    DarkN1gh7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

So I Go To Pick Up My New Car And....

So I finally traded in my problematic 05' CTS for a shiny new 2010 model. I am absolutely in love with this car, the only thing that really bothered me was that the dealer slapped stickers all over the back of it before I picked it up.

Valley Cadillac is probably the biggest dealer within a 50 miles radius of me. When I drove the car it didn't have anything on it but when I took it home they put a crappy white dealer logo right on the back of my all black car! Getting the car paid in cash apparently wasn't enough they had to put a ****in billboard on it to. (Excuse my french.)

Any way to get these off without damaging the new GM paint / clear coat and leaving adhesive outlines or should I just leave it alone and suck it up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08 CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 AWD

Re: So I Go To Pick Up My New Car And....

I myself would take it back and have them remove it...otherwise a hair dryer on the hottest setting will usually help.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

I have always pulled them off and removed any residue with acetone on a rag - never had any clear coat damage

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Not sure what u mean by sticker...

I have taken dealer emblems off that we're held on by double sided tape by spraying the area with soapy water and using a credit card to pry it up and off. Then gave it quick wax buff by hand.

thavil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry Cadillac CTS4

Bug and tar remover will work also.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Go back to the dealer. If you do it yourself and cause any damage your out of luck. Dealers often fail to tell you about your new "option" but I don't think they will refuse your request (at least I haven't found any).

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

First, I would tell the dealer to do it. If you don't want to go that route then this is what I have done many times.

Wash your car, or at least around the area you are going to work. You don't want dirt in that area because it will scratch your paint. If it is a vinyl sticker or a double sided sticky tape application, take a hair dryer, NEVER A HEAT GUN, and start warming up the area of the entire decal. It may take a good 5 minutes on the double sided sticky tape, so be patient. Less time for a vinyl decal. For a vinyl decal, just use your fingernails and start lifting the edges being careful not to tear the decal (makes life easier). If you have the other type, use dental floss and carefully work the sticky tape using a back and forth motion while moving forward and "cutting" the tape off of the paint. When done, use acetone or "Goo Remover" or the like and clean the area. When done to your satisfaction, wash that particular area.

Thanks for the tips everyone! The hair dryer method was what I was going to try.

Now if only I could figure out why XM refuses to activate. Have been on the phone with support for an hour and it will not load channels. My mom has a brand new 2012 CTS and the setup on that took 5 mins tops when I did it. My sisters car was the same. Of course I get the stubbornne one fml

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

DarkN1gh7, please add me to the list of those recommending going back to the dealer. If it's a concern for you and you were unaware they were going to add this, then bringing your CTS back to Valley and discussing your concerns would be a great next step. Please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to call Valley on your behalf. While I'm excited to see you're excited about your 2010 model, I'm very sorry to see that you were disappointed with the logo addition.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

jcortney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS Performance

Very, very simple. I have done it on one logo or another on the last four cars. Very lightly go over it with the hair dryer, but the secret to getting the stick-on letters off is dental floss. Comes right off in an instant and then goo off or something like it and you are done.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    DarkN1gh7, please add me to the list of those recommending going back to the dealer. If it's a concern for you and you were unaware they were going to add this, then bringing your CTS back to Valley and discussing your concerns would be a great next step. Please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to call Valley on your behalf. While I'm excited to see you're excited about your 2010 model, I'm very sorry to see that you were disappointed with the logo addition.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Thank you! I am going to give my salesperson a call tomorrow morning.

As for the XM, I am glad I didn't jump the gun on a refund. After giving up with their poor, outsourced phone support I went back to work. Went out to the car a little while ago and sure enough they were all there. Not sure what the deal is because they told me each time the signal should only take 5-10 mins max.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

GooGone should remove any residual glue without harming the paint or clear coat.

BTW, those sorts of stickers are almost unheard of anymore here in SoCal.

ByByBMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcortney View Post
    Very, very simple. I have done it on one logo or another on the last four cars. Very lightly go over it with the hair dryer, but the secret to getting the stick-on letters off is dental floss. Comes right off in an instant and then goo off or something like it and you are done.

Joe
    I agree, and WD-40 can also be used to remove the residue, works on road tar also.

Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

Mine had a chrome logo attached with 2 sided tape. Heated it up and used fishing line (similar to the dental floss suggestions) to "cut" it. +1 for the goo gone. Even though the average person will never notice, I can still see a faint outline even after waxing, etc. Thanks Coral Cadillac

The other thing I always do first is ditch the stupid dealer license plate frame with their name on it.

Topless vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

hair dryer, then clay bar it after to get the crap off. then a little buff job with some detailer

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.