Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a cadi
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a cadi in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Does any one know of a roached out CTS anywhere? Im thinking about taking a v6 CTS make it a ...
  1. #1
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10

    Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a cadi

    Does any one know of a roached out CTS anywhere? Im thinking about taking a v6 CTS make it a V and do a 6 liter conversion with some AFR 245s and a 88mm turbo... just hunting around looking for a donor car to start the process


    any thoughts , concerns or criticisms
    If this is anywhere close to what my cobra was then it should fly for a cadi

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    why?

    Why not start with a V?

  4. #3
    mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    19

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    Why is it that whenever someone comes on here talking about taking a V6 CTS and "upgrading" it to something similar or closer to a CTS-V the answer is always - "why not start with a V"?

    What's wrong with someone wanting to take a great car and improving the drivetrain? Sure you could always start with a "V", but there are a lot more non-V CTSs floating around for reasonable prices. Does anyone know how much it would cost, and what if the person doing the "upgrade" already has the drivetrain or can get one really cheap and just needs the car?

    I'm sorry, it just frosts me that the typical reply is so cold and dismissive. We are all adults here and rather than putting someone down for having an idea or wanting to undertake something as a project, why don't we try and be supportive or actually help out with any real information we have. Who knows what kind of previously unknown information can be uncovered that none of us had thought about during such a project?

    While I don't have any information on a viable car to start this project with, I wish Dan success in his endeavor should he decide to undertake it. It's people who have ideas like Dan's that help the rest of us in the long run.

  5. #4
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    I could start with a V however why waste the money on a V when im going to trash most of the car? I did this with a 04 cobra and bought it new to boot! I want to have a car that shows what we can do so why I chose not to start with V and insteed just do a V6, gut it upgrade it, turbo it, and change it to a solid axle and put all the V visuals on it. I dont have an issue distroying a V (lord knows i have done this to a lot of cobras and shelbys) however I would have though that you would want to keep as many of these on the road as possable. So i just figured to start with a base line and make a street stomper.. this is what i should have done with all the cobras as well. but i didnt.

  6. #5
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    First, I wasn't putting Dan down. My rationale is if you want to start out with a regular CTS, upgrade the transmission, the suspension, the brakes and the powerplant be my guest. My bet is that it would cost more than if he were to start with a V. It might not be as satisfying I agree, but it will be easier and more cost effective.

    As far as being adults here, have you read your comments to me? You have a rather dismissive attitude yourself, and coming from all of three posts why don't you look before you leap? I generally don't put folks down that are really trying something or want to contribute.

    If a customer of ours were to ask for us to do a project and I could save him money, I would. We do this regularly with our customers instead of just taking the money and running. It is our nature to help out with better suggestions and alternatives. Personally, I believe it is the right thing to do.

    If Dan were to go ahead with his project and had some questions that I could help him with I would gladly help. I don't care if it's a stupid question or a technical question, if I had the capability to help I would. I just wanted to ask him why he would undertake a project such as what he described when perhaps a better donor car might help his cause. And if you wish to flame me, please have the courtesy to question me in private instead of you being exactly everything you said in your post that you didn't like about me.

  7. #6
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    Obviously you have a good knowledge of what it takes as well as you have the capabilities. That is what I wanted to hear so I understand where you are coming from. Totally rational. And I do want to hear about your progress if you go forward. As a matter of fact, if you did this you might want to not put on V stickers. What a sleeper!

  8. #7
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    First, I wasn't putting Dan down. My rationale is if you want to start out with a regular CTS, upgrade the transmission, the suspension, the brakes and the powerplant be my guest. My bet is that it would cost more than if he were to start with a V. It might not be as satisfying I agree, but it will be easier and more cost effective.

    As far as being adults here, have you read your comments to me? You have a rather dismissive attitude yourself, and coming from all of three posts why don't you look before you leap? I generally don't put folks down that are really trying something or want to contribute.

    If a customer of ours were to ask for us to do a project and I could save him money, I would. We do this regularly with our customers instead of just taking the money and running. It is our nature to help out with better suggestions and alternatives. Personally, I believe it is the right thing to do.

    If Dan were to go ahead with his project and had some questions that I could help him with I would gladly help. I don't care if it's a stupid question or a technical question, if I had the capability to help I would. I just wanted to ask him why he would undertake a project such as what he described when perhaps a better donor car might help his cause. And if you wish to flame me, please have the courtesy to question me in private instead of you being exactly everything you said in your post that you didn't like about me.
    im all reality if i started with a V i would trash the trans , motor and all the int along with the rear end. Im planning on a 427 with a 88mm single turbo or twin 76s. The rear end would do me no good i would make a 9 inch 40 spline with a ladder bar set up. The trans would have to be a built auto like a turbo 400 with a neal chance converter. This is why i wanted to start with a CTS base model.. more feasable to me

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Obviously you have a good knowledge of what it takes as well as you have the capabilities. That is what I wanted to hear so I understand where you are coming from. Totally rational. And I do want to hear about your progress if you go forward. As a matter of fact, if you did this you might want to not put on V stickers. What a sleeper!
    I personally cant stand K mart upgrades. I dont like badging something that it is not. Call it my inner Cobra ford self but i think that the car should be what it is. Ill do the visual but would never badge it as a V i would leave it badgeless This project is more less to show that even a dealer can build fast fun cars that people can relate to.. hence the reason i want to start with a car that is popular to start with that way when they see it they could relate ...." Hey i drive a cts too " Im hopping that this would draw attention to the car and to our dealership and show that at our dealer, we do offer performance.. Ie something different and out of the norm

    ----------

    So the hunt begins on searching for a roach CTS or a crashed one.. ( now taking any donations lol ) If you have one that is a parts car or what not let me know. I want to be in to this as little as possable so i can add the money where it belongs ... in the go fast department.. I see some AFR 244s coming my way

  9. #8
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    I didn't realize you were with a dealership. You have the complete package to work on a vehicle such as this as well as financial backing (I hope).

    I hope you do it.

  10. #9
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    This would be out of my own pocket.. I have done builds like this before and yes I work for kachina Cadillac here in phoenix AZ. I want to do this for a fun project i have gotten out of the car world for the last 3 years but still a gear head at heart.. We offer all the CTS V upgrades and packages and work with D3 on a lot of it but i want to take it to the next step. I want to build something that when you walk up to it you are expecting one thing but when you see it you get a total different experance... just a strait up jaw dropper. I just hit up a few vendors we have and they said they are on board to join in on this venture with us, or should I say me.

    ----------

    here is my last car
    I had pictures here but i guess some members were offended and that was not the intention. i will keep only cadi stuff here and no other brand thanks

  11. #10
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    edited due to non cadillac vehicle

  12. #11
    Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    I want to make this CTS a seriously wild car

  13. #12
    CharlieB's Avatar
    CharlieB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS Base, 2000 Chevy Corvette, 2006 CTS Lux/Sport
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    35
    Posts
    725

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoupe2002 View Post
    Why is it that whenever someone comes on here talking about taking a V6 CTS and "upgrading" it to something similar or closer to a CTS-V the answer is always - "why not start with a V"?

    What's wrong with someone wanting to take a great car and improving the drivetrain? Sure you could always start with a "V", but there are a lot more non-V CTSs floating around for reasonable prices. Does anyone know how much it would cost, and what if the person doing the "upgrade" already has the drivetrain or can get one really cheap and just needs the car?

    I'm sorry, it just frosts me that the typical reply is so cold and dismissive. We are all adults here and rather than putting someone down for having an idea or wanting to undertake something as a project, why don't we try and be supportive or actually help out with any real information we have. Who knows what kind of previously unknown information can be uncovered that none of us had thought about during such a project?

    While I don't have any information on a viable car to start this project with, I wish Dan success in his endeavor should he decide to undertake it. It's people who have ideas like Dan's that help the rest of us in the long run.
    I'm surprised that you're dismissing this obvious answer with a long-winded response that won't constitute anything else? The fact of the matter is simple, so much so that Cadillac had already thought of it. If you want a supreme speed machine, while still holding onto the "CTS" qualities, then you buy the CTS-V. If you want to save on money (or can't afford it) and get a softer ride without all of the extreme power, then you stick to a Non-V CTS of your choice. I guess you can say that it "frosts me" that people would argue for those who wish to add serious performance to a car that was already built by the same company to *have* serious performance.

    Whether you feel it's a "cold" and "dismissive" answer to me, IMO, isn't relevant. It's the truth. If it wasn't, Cadillac would simply ask Lingenfelter to create modifications for its CTS brand and never release the "V" models.

  14. #13
    mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    19

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    tinman, my statements were not meant as a direct attack on you, rather on the overabundance of comments I have seen coming from the members of the forum in general on this subject. Again, my comments were not to *you*, but I can see how they could be construed as such, and since you viewed them as such, I offer my apologies to you directly.

    It is great to finally see a discussion on the topic and I personally hope to learn as much as possible about this idea as possible. I personally have considered pulling my 3.6DI engine/tranny out and replacing it with an LS3/6L90 combo if time and money permit me to do so. My goal is not to recreate a V, but simply to transform the car into something different while hopefully maintaining driveability, decent gas mileage, and overall feel. I looked for a V and in my area it would have cost me $15K - $20K more than what I paid for my 2008 and it would not have had the interior color I wanted.

    Dan, I sure hope you continue to post on the progress of the project. Please keep us informed.

  15. #14
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    mrcoupe2002, I appreciate your clearing up the air and with that I personally accept your apology. Thank you for that. And I understand what you were saying now with greater clarity.

    Like you, I also want to see what Dan can do with this machine. It would be absolutely awesome!

  16. #15
    CharlieB's Avatar
    CharlieB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS Base, 2000 Chevy Corvette, 2006 CTS Lux/Sport
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    35
    Posts
    725

    Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoupe2002 View Post
    tinman, my statements were not meant as a direct attack on you, rather on the overabundance of comments I have seen coming from the members of the forum in general on this subject. Again, my comments were not to *you*, but I can see how they could be construed as such, and since you viewed them as such, I offer my apologies to you directly.

    It is great to finally see a discussion on the topic and I personally hope to learn as much as possible about this idea as possible. I personally have considered pulling my 3.6DI engine/tranny out and replacing it with an LS3/6L90 combo if time and money permit me to do so. My goal is not to recreate a V, but simply to transform the car into something different while hopefully maintaining driveability, decent gas mileage, and overall feel. I looked for a V and in my area it would have cost me $15K - $20K more than what I paid for my 2008 and it would not have had the interior color I wanted.

    Dan, I sure hope you continue to post on the progress of the project. Please keep us informed.
    Hi mrcoupe, I swear I am not sniping you, but I really would like to have this conversation with you. In this most recent statement from you, you mention that many have already given others flack about how they want to upgrade their Non-V CTS models with serious performance, then you go on to say that you do so because you want to maintain the "driveability", have decent gas mileage and "overall feel", you don't think that is exactly what the CTS-V does? I'm confused by this statement a little.

    You then go on to state that you want to pull out your 3.6L and 5L60 (I believe) and replace it with an LS3 and 6L90. Are you certain that the aforementioned combo will not cost you upwards of $15K-$20K? Not including installation, shipping ETC?

    Perhaps I am wrong here, but I would love to hear what you have to say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting