Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a cadi - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a cadi in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by CharlieB I'm surprised that you're dismissing this obvious answer with a long-winded response that won't constitute anything ...
    mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
    I'm surprised that you're dismissing this obvious answer with a long-winded response that won't constitute anything else? The fact of the matter is simple, so much so that Cadillac had already thought of it. If you want a supreme speed machine, while still holding onto the "CTS" qualities, then you buy the CTS-V. If you want to save on money (or can't afford it) and get a softer ride without all of the extreme power, then you stick to a Non-V CTS of your choice. I guess you can say that it "frosts me" that people would argue for those who wish to add serious performance to a car that was already built by the same company to *have* serious performance.

Whether you feel it's a "cold" and "dismissive" answer to me, IMO, isn't relevant. It's the truth. If it wasn't, Cadillac would simply ask Lingenfelter to create modifications for its CTS brand and never release the "V" models.
    I'm sure Cadillac had its' reasons for building the "V" the way they did. However, as the aftermarket and individuals have proven time and time again, there is more than one way to skin a cat. While I would love to have a "V", I do fall into the category of not being able to afford it. That does not mean that I can't build up from what I have. If everyone simply decided to only buy what the manufacturer provided as serious performance cars, how would companies like Lingenfelter have ever gotten started?

CharlieB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS Base, 2000 Chevy Corvette, 2006 CTS Lux/Sport

Re: Just a though, I have done many fast fords and i think it would be cool to do a c

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoupe2002 View Post
    I'm sure Cadillac had its' reasons for building the "V" the way they did. However, as the aftermarket and individuals have proven time and time again, there is more than one way to skin a cat. While I would love to have a "V", I do fall into the category of not being able to afford it. That does not mean that I can't build up from what I have. If everyone simply decided to only buy what the manufacturer provided as serious performance cars, how would companies like Lingenfelter have ever gotten started?
    You do bring a good point to the table, except Lingenfelter deals with vehicles that are already built for the purpose of speed. The only angle I thought you would take would have been 1 of 2 things:

1. Cars like the V6 Camaro and Base Corvette have a heavy aftermarket dedicated to improving performance and maneuvering.
    2. There are cars out there (i.e. Civics etc) that were not originally built for the purpose of speed, however, have a heavy aftermarket.

However...

1. Even the V6 / Base Corvette variants were actually built for some sort of speed and do not have the "correct" performance due to pricing differences. However, in the eye of the public, they are racecars by default and therefore makes sense to upgrade their original performance standards.

2. These cars are not meant to be improved, however, the average age of the buyer craves speed, thereby making a market for performance products. In addition, the vehicles themselves promote the use of performance-based aftermarket products due to the weight of the vehicle and inexpense.

The Cadillac CTS does not fall into either of the above-mentioned categories. As a matter of fact, they fall into the polar opposite of both above-mentioned categories. So what does that leave us with? A heavy car that is meant for the 50+ year old age group that holds the title of "Sports Sedan" mainly due to its sharp appearance (and in some cases, suspension). Sure an aftermarket is available for the CTS and yes, people do purchase aftermarket performance products from them, it's true. But does this help you understand why others so quickly dismiss those who post regarding performance upgrades without the "V"?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

...But does this help you understand why others so quickly dismiss those who post regarding performance upgrades without the "V"?
    This led to my asking Dan "Why?" He had a good, no, great, explanation as to "Why". Even better than expected.

mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Hi mrcoupe, I swear I am not sniping you, but I really would like to have this conversation with you. In this most recent statement from you, you mention that many have already given others flack about how they want to upgrade their Non-V CTS models with serious performance, then you go on to say that you do so because you want to maintain the "driveability", have decent gas mileage and "overall feel", you don't think that is exactly what the CTS-V does? I'm confused by this statement a little.

You then go on to state that you want to pull out your 3.6L and 5L60 (I believe) and replace it with an LS3 and 6L90. Are you certain that the aforementioned combo will not cost you upwards of $15K-$20K? Not including installation, shipping ETC?

Perhaps I am wrong here, but I would love to hear what you have to say.
    First, my apologies to Dan for sidetracking/hijacking your post.

CharlieB, I don't see you as sniping me, you are simply joining the discussion and trying to understand another point of view. I only hope that I am open minded enough to continue to do so as well.

My desire to perform a drivetrain swap simply comes from a dream of doing something differently than the rest of the herd. I came into my CTS from a C5 Corvette and found that I really like LS-based engines. Sure, there are several existing aftermarket power adders and other improvements already available for the CTS. I might take advantage of some of them, but I also want to explore ideas outside of that box.

If I was to do the swap, I would not be simply putting a crate LS3 into the car, it would probably be a used engine that I would rebuild and setup with the parts that I would like to have in it and do my own tuning. The 6L90 would probably also be used. Mainly this would be a project to derive enjoyment from over a period of time and to learn/explore. I agree that it would not make sense to spend substantially more on such a project than it would have cost me to buy a "V" in the first place. If doing my research indicated to me that it would not be worth spending the money on, chances are I would not do it.

Seeing others undertake special projects like this helps me with my research and hopefully gives me insights into obstacles I may encounter as well as possible solutions to them. It also allows me to acquire knowledge and ideas that I may use to contribute to someone else's project.

Dan@kachina is offline Cadillac Owners Member

no worries man. I just want to do something that the normal person walking by does not pay too much attention to, then have them get close and be like WTF!

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@kachina View Post
    no worries man. I just want to do something that the normal person walking by does not pay too much attention to, then have them get close and be like WTF!
    Yeah, sure...like that Mustang?!!!

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Interesting thread...I would suggest that you find a nice cheap salvage CTS. I don't know why I looked at them a few months back, but some were in decent shape and most of them were cheap! Can't wait to see the finished product!

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@kachina View Post
    ----------

[/COLOR]here is my last car
    After we finished the cage

here is in the shop after the first week

about a month later

month later
    Eek. To each their own, i guess.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.