Question on the NAV screen and OnStar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Question on the NAV screen and OnStar in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just bought this 2012 CTS Premium Coupe a week ago and am trying to learn some of the features. I ...
    Gtwatson77459 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Premium Coupe

Question on the NAV screen and OnStar

Just bought this 2012 CTS Premium Coupe a week ago and am trying to learn some of the features.

I tried 3 times to get OnStar to download a trip to my Nav screen. The first 2 I was sitting in my driveway with the engine off and key in the Acc position. I talked to OnStar Rep and told them my destination and they said it would be D/L and I needed to just hit the GO button. I looked all over the screen but no green go button. The second time I hit the DEST button but no trip was there.

The 3rd time, I had the engine running and it seemed to work. So I guess my question is, does the engine have to be running to get the D/L from OnStar? The OM does not say.

My second question is about the maps. I live in a relatively new subdivision and the streets are new but my address shows up on Mapquest and Google Maps but on my NAV screen when I turn off the main street into the subdivision, no streets are shown. It looks like I am driving in a field.

I went on the GMNAVDISC.com site and the new disc for my car is out of stock and would cost $200 when available. I just paid $$$ for a new (leftover) 2012 CTS Coupe and the map is out of date and I have to pay $200 so my street might be on the new map??

I've got a free App on my Android phone that shows my street.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    The easiest way is to download the Onstar Remote link to your phone, then send directions to in-dash nav or turn by turn. When you raise the nav screen it will ask would you like directions there now. It may take a few minutes.

On the latest nav update, do a search on this forum. Someone posted the latest version number and how to tell if you have it.

----------

Here's how to tell if you have the latest version:

Push "NAV"
    CONFIG
    MAPA DATABASE INFO

If you have the following, your database is up to date:

App Version: 4.11.0000
    Database Version: 14.104.22.05311.24

Re: Question on the NAV screen and OnStar

The D/L to phone then bluetooth to the NAV seems too complicated. I got OnStar for free for a year and it is not too bad to use. I think I have to have the car running to use the D/L.

On the Maps, I found out how to check my version and it is 4.11.0000 and the DataBase version is 14.104.22.053111.24 so I wonder when a new map might be available that has my house on a street?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459
    The D/L to phone then bluetooth to the NAV seems too complicated. I got OnStar for free for a year and it is not too bad to use. I think I have to have the car running to use the D/L.

On the Maps, I found out how to check my version and it is 4.11.0000 and the DataBase version is 14.104.22.053111.24 so I wonder when a new map might be available that has my house on a street?
    Your phone/tablet does not need to be paired to your vehicle for the Onstar App to work. You can even start your vehicle to get it warmed up or cooled.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

There is a problem with mapquest and google maps downloading to NAV as it used to. Now it only downloads to Turn by Turn. If you want directions sent from an Onstar rep, you MUST tell them to send it to your NAV. By default they will send it to Turn by Turn. Sometimes they dont hear you. There is nothing special you need to do. Normally you would be in your car with motor running and NAV screen up and radio on. If they send it properly, you will see the process proceed on your NAV and then save it or GO to begin Navigation. However if they send it properly, it will download once you turn your radio on and you will be prompted to raise screen for download. Just emphasize with REP to send to NAV.
    Doesnt matter what mapquest or google maps have. Your directions will be based on the map which for your car, as with my 12 Coupe, is from last year - May 2011 - from the update this year. Maps are always a year old when released. It takes at least a year for new roads to get collected up into the map database that we get. So if the area in question was built after or around 2010, you may not see them. You will get a compass and GPS location info when you are in a 'dead zone' so to speak.

You most likely have the latest update on your coupe as I had when I bought mine in May of this year - from 053111 - May of 2011. Use CONFIG button and NAV tab to see database info.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

DATA BASE VERSION : 14.104.22.053111.24

MAP DATA BASE APPLICATION : 4.11.0000

GRACENOTE: 3489.0

These are the latest.

Thanks for the replies. On the map issue, it looks like I have the latest map. This is my first car with a Nav of any kind (no Nuvi, garman, etc) so I am getting used to it. I mostly know where I am going and don't really need all the map help but I can see the advantage of looking for the closest POI Chinese Restaurant. It would be nice to get a map version that has my street on it.

On the OnStar D/L issue, I am pretty sure the reason the first 2 tries failled was because the engine was not running and only on ACC power. Maybe the NAV D/L does not retain the D/L when you start the car? If I hit the OnStar button I have asked to D/L to the NAV and the last time it worked, so this issue should work out OK.

I do have another issue with dialing my cell phone through the car's handsfree, but I'll start a new thread.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Thanks for the replies. On the map issue, it looks like I have the latest map. This is my first car with a Nav of any kind (no Nuvi, garman, etc) so I am getting used to it. I mostly know where I am going and don't really need all the map help but I can see the advantage of looking for the closest POI Chinese Restaurant. It would be nice to get a map version that has my street on it.

On the OnStar D/L issue, I am pretty sure the reason the first 2 tries failled was because the engine was not running and only on ACC power. Maybe the NAV D/L does not retain the D/L when you start the car? If I hit the OnStar button I have asked to D/L to the NAV and the last time it worked, so this issue should work out OK.

I do have another issue with dialing my cell phone through the car's handsfree, but I'll start a new thread.
    You should not need to have your car running.

I have never had OnStar send the directions, but I have used the mobile app.

I would search for the destination (at work) on my iPad, and then send the directions to my car from within the app.

At the end of the day, when I got to my car and started it, the destination was waiting for me on the NAV screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    You should not need to have your car running.

I have never had OnStar send the directions, but I have used the mobile app.

I would search for the destination (at work) on my iPad, and then send the directions to my car from within the app.

At the end of the day, when I got to my car and started it, the destination was waiting for me on the NAV screen.
    I'll give it a try. Is there an OnStar app for the android? I got MyCadillac App and it is OK. What is the App name you used? And how do you identify your car? I have a Samsung Infuse Android.

TIA

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

I'll give it a try. Is there an OnStar app for the android? I got MyCadillac App and it is OK. What is the App name you used? And how do you identify your car? TIA
    I know there is one for Andoid too. It's called OnStar Remotelink.

You will have to set up an online profile on the OnStar website. Then, when you download the app, you will log into it using the user name/password you set up on the website. . You will be prompted that your device has not been authorized and if you wish for an authorization code to be sent. Say YES.

An authorization code will be sent to your email. Enter that authorization code in the app (you'll be prompted), and you'll be all set.

The myCadillac app doesn't really do much, it's the OnStar Remotelink app that is pretty cool.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

I know there is one for Andoid too. It's called OnStar Remotelink.

You will have to set up an online profile on the OnStar website. Then, when you download the app, you will log into it using the user name/password you set up on the website. . You will be prompted that your device has not been authorized and if you wish for an authorization code to be sent. Say YES.

An authorization code will be sent to your email. Enter that authorization code in the app (you'll be prompted), and you'll be all set.

The myCadillac app doesn't really do much, it's the OnStar Remotelink app that is pretty cool.

Good luck!
    I got the app last night and was able to get it linked to my car. I selected a destination and sent it to my NAV and it was there this morning as I drove to the bus stop. It worked OK.

The other features looked neat.

I got the app last night and was able to get it linked to my car. I selected a destination and sent it to my NAV and it was there this morning as I drove to the bus stop. It worked OK.

The other features looked neat.
    Glad you got it to work, much better and easier than talking to OnStar. Another tip, you can just type in the name of the destination (store, restaurant etc....) with the city and state and you get directions that way instead of entering the address.

Thanks for the tips. I still kind of like talking to the reps so I will probably do so occassionally.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Gtwatson77459 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I still kind of like talking to the reps so I will probably do so occassionally.
    And remember that they can download directions to the NAV - just make sure they do it correctly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.