Best Aftermarket HID Kit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Best Aftermarket HID Kit in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; The tech at my local mod shop is after me to install aftermarket HID headlights. What is the best kit ...
    Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Best Aftermarket HID Kit

The tech at my local mod shop is after me to install aftermarket HID headlights. What is the best kit for the job? Will there be a heat problem causing damage to the headlight lenses? Will there be a problem when flashing to pass? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ajazolino is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Ddmtuning.com offers decent kits for cheap. I'm running 55w 12000k in my highs and lows. Heat is no problem for me and the brights take about 15 sec to get bright. Other than that they are great. Attachment 98572Attachment 98573

alex08cts-di is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts di

Re: Best Aftermarket HID Kit

I have an o-nex hid kit the real one not the counterfeit brand had them for 4 years 2 n my silverado and a lil bit past 2 n my cts not a problem at all I heard of 55w ballast melting lights I have 35watts running 6k perfect all year around

Thanks. I will post the kit he has in mind.

Mamas.Pearl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Pearl (Wife's car)

Ok.... I've been doing alot of reading and researching for some FOG LIGHT HID kits. I found some interesting info, and also came up with a few additional questions. Hopefully I can contribute something to this forum. So here we go.

Ballast information.
    -35W and 55W
    *The 55W ballast WILL wash the color out of the bulbs. Explination: Colors will seem more WHITE. A 4300K 35W set up will look the same as a 4000K 55W setup. A 5000K 35W swtup will look the same as a 5500K 55W setup. *NOTE* This is for WELL BUILT ballasts. Meaning the ballast actually puts out 35W or 55W. Quality does have it's benefits!!!

Slim Ballasts = Digital Input Ballast / Regular Ballast = Analog Ballast
    *As technology progressed the digital ballst is preferred. Not saying that analog is bad by any means. A well constructed analog ballast is better than a crappy digital ballast.

Slim Ballast(Digital)- All connectors/feed throughs are SEALED, this stops water, dirt, grime, etc from causing issues with connections over time.
    Regualr Ballast(Analog)- All connectors/feed throughs are RESISTANT, this resists water, but is not as good as sealed. A few simple thing can help this, WD-40 (Prevents and removes water, is electrically friendly, prevents corrosion.) Electrical grease (Same as WD-40, just stickier, I prefer WD-40 as it does not hold dirt,grime, etc.)

Slim Ballast - Slightly faster to Fire, also has built in EMI filters. This prevents static from interfering with control of the BULB Burn and your car radio etc. Produces a bit less heat=slight more efficient. Has better control of the burn rate/burn temperature of the bulb which extends the bulb life and prevents color changes of the bulb as bulb life progresses.
    Regular Ballast- Slightly slower to Fire, *NOTE* a well built analog ballast will have EMI filters built in. Produces a bit more heat=slightly less efficient.
    *The most simplified value to look at is initial power on Amperage draw and static state Amperage draw. A well built Analog Ballast should draw very similar to a Digital Ballast.

Bulb Information

There are alot of variances in bulbs, this is mainly due to the inconsistencies of the SALT (What makes the light when hit with current) inside of the bulb. Certain bulbs have more consistent SALTs and colors. Top brands (Phillips, Hella, PIAA) also read as MOST $$$. The standard color match to the HIDs on the CTS seems to be 4300K-5000K. Yes I know some ppl will say no, blah blah blah. On a good bulb ( Phillips, Hella, PIAA, etc) 4300K-5000K is going to match what you have on the CTS with HIDs.

-From my research, any manufacturer that uses Laser Corrected/Aligned Phillips Glass also seems to run a quality SALT for the inner bulb. This will have quality and duplicatable colors and light output. Also this will mean longer bulb life and constant color throughout bulb life. This is important if a bulb fails/crakcs/breaks/etc. and you replace 1 of them... they will still match in color and light output.
    -The top quality bulb (read most $$$) seems to be German Phillips Bulbs based H11 ( P/N 85122 or 85122+ ). Roughly $65 per bulb.
    -Most quality bulbs are rated to 60W of power or more. The ballast determines the wattage output that the bulb recieves.
    -55W ballasts makes the bulb put out more heat. This may melt the bulb housing in some areas in some conditions. Such as, 55w ballast (a quality ballast that actually puts out 55W), in Savannah GA in summer (100 + degrees) sitting in traffic. I'm betting it's going to melt. On all quality equipment I've noted warnings about 55W ballasts/bulbs in small (fog light) housings may melt due to heat.

I have not reviewed every kit out there. I simply started looking for quality components. Quality manufacturers give you MORE information about there components, this is for a reason. The devil is in the details! What cheap systems don't show you is mostly what they don't want you to see. This is where the cost difference comes from. Please do not get offended about your set-up. MANY MANY MANY ppl are surely running ebay kits, pieced together kits, etc with no issues. I've very happy you are happy. But this is simply just informatin about quality and performance over a lifetime of system use.

I will be glad to post conversion kits that I've found that use quality components. If anyone would like. I'd be glad to look over the data of a kit anyone suggests if they would like. I hope this info is helpful to some people. And by all means please add any additonal data that you find.

r1concepts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

DDMtuning.com- Can't go wrong with lifetime warranty.

ajazolino is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    When it comes down to it I just ignored the warranty considering a pair of bulbs is $15

Thanks Mamas.Pearl - ..........Reminds me of James May....LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.