OnStar - Is it really worth it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, OnStar - Is it really worth it? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Want to get some feedback. I'm on a three month OnStar trial including directions and connections. When the trial ends ...
    Boxer 6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

OnStar - Is it really worth it?

Want to get some feedback. I'm on a three month OnStar trial including directions and connections. When the trial ends the subscribtion is not cheap. The car already has navigation and I have a cell phone. Am I missing something or just throwing money away?

Thanks

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: OnStar - Is it really worth it?

I had the trial subscription. I never touched it. Like you, I have nav both in my car and my cell phone, so...why spend the money?

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

If I ever wreck my CTS in a desolate location,
    and I’m unable to use my cell phone for whatever reason,
    only then will I regret not having OnStar; that is, if I’m still alive!

Rollin' the dice......and if I'm not still alive, I won't care!

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Well, I do not carry a cell phone. Therefore, I find Onstar pretty convenient. Moreover, the best part is the automatic cash response - an added security when on the highway traveling alone. Add to that the Emergency services, monthly or on-demand vehicle diagnostics, stolen vehicle assistance, remote door unlock...
    Each time I renewed my Onstar was because I was able to reach a good deal. The first year I bought the car, Onstar was included with turn by turn navigation which I never used. The last two years, I paid $148 a year plus 100 hands-free calling minutes for the Safe & Sound plan. It was not always easy to get them give me these deals, but spending 5-10 minutes back and forth with them was well worth it IMO.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

I've always kept my "Safe & Sound" plan active. I figure it offers good piece of mind and is one more way I can get help if I've forgotten my phone, am outside my AT&T coverage area (OnStar uses Verizon), etc. I also find it much easier to be a good samaritan and report road hazards using OnStar than calling mobile 911 and waiting on hold for long periods of time. (The last time I tried calling CHP/mobile 911 -- mid-afternoon on a weekday -- I arrived at my destination before anyone even answered, so I just gave up trying to report the tire I'd seen in the middle of the freeway.)

The calling minutes, turn-by-turn directions, weather forecasts, and traffic information are all pretty useless, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by like2drive View Post
    Well, I do not carry a cell phone. Therefore, I find Onstar pretty convenient. Moreover, the best part is the automatic cash response - an added security when on the highway traveling alone. Add to that the Emergency services, monthly or on-demand vehicle diagnostics, stolen vehicle assistance, remote door unlock...
    Each time I renewed my Onstar was because I was able to reach a good deal. The first year I bought the car, Onstar was included with turn by turn navigation which I never used. The last two years, I paid $148 a year plus 100 hands-free calling minutes for the Safe & Sound plan. It was not always easy to get them give me these deals, but spending 5-10 minutes back and forth with them was well worth it IMO.
    In your case I wholeheartedly agree. And that is a lot cheaper than a cheap cell phone monthly plan.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

FWIW

Anyone needing cell phone for light use and/or emergency only, feasible alternative to OnStar might be prepaid renewable AT&T GoPhone ($19.99), annual operating cost less than $100 ($23.95 for 250 minutes, 90-day expiry, unused carryover up to 500-minute limit).

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

On star was nice on the G8 GT, where I didn't have blue-tooth or Nav.

Directions and connections worked through the DIC, and the phone was awesome.

in the CTS, it's useless. You're not missing anything except that some phones are getting finicky with the NAV being 5 years old at this point.

The value in the service for the CTS is the crash response imo.

Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've had to use it twice. When I first got my car, it broke down twice. So, I simply hit the OnStar button, and they were able to tell me which part of the car was wrong and pull up diagnostic codes. One time it was something simple that they came out and fixed, and the other was a major problem. They were able to locate me easily and tow me to the dealership.

Boxer 6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

Thanks for all the feedback. If I can get a decent deal on the safe and sound package, I'll probably do that. However, like some of you, I don't see the cost versus value in the turn by turn package in these cars.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

OnStar can unlock you car when it accidentally gets locked with the key inside -- something that is not supposed to happen but, believe me, it does.

Also, I write it off as part of my actual auto expenses.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer 6
    Thanks for all the feedback. If I can get a decent deal on the safe and sound package, I'll probably do that. However, like some of you, I don't see the cost versus value in the turn by turn package in these cars.
    Agreed. (especially if you have the NAV) Stick with the safe and sound plan if you're going for it. As others have stated, I kept it for the piece of mind. I also forget to grab my phone before heading out to the office quite often...the minutes are cheap and the signal the car gets is much greater due to the higher wattage! Overall, I'm satisfied with the service...after negotiating the price if course

Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

Safe & Sound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•$18.95 per month

•$199.00 per year
    12% Savings

•$359.00/ 2 years
    21% Savings

•$499.00/ 3 years
    27% Savings

Not worth it to me as I don't spend much time on desolate roads, blue-tooth works great, and I have a Garmin when GPS is needed. YMMV.

Same with XM radio. I have an ipod classic 120GB with 15,000 songs on it. I just can't pay for radio.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

FWIW - there is an Onstar focus community called ConnectOn that is regularly surveying new features and services with Onstar. Some look to be worthy just as long as the enhancements come soon and dont cost more $$. I have kept my D&C plan even though I have a NAV and dont like the TurnbyTurn. I rarely use the Onstar calling minutes and keep rolling them over each year but now you can buy them cheap with the advent of Bluetooth phones commonplace. Knowing someone will be there in an emergency and having access to roadside assistance and diagnostics are important to me. However having said that, $299 is a lot of money for something I hardly use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.