OnStar - Is it really worth it? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, OnStar - Is it really worth it? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I used it one time after coming back from Europe on a Saturday night where the key was stuck in ...
    smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

Re: OnStar - Is it really worth it?

I used it one time after coming back from Europe on a Saturday night where the key was stuck in the ignition and engine would not turn off. They connected me to Cadillac service and the guy was out in under an hour.

mightypizu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD, Crystal Red
    They should do a la carte. I'd pay for remote door unlock service as I've used it once when I had it and then needed it again when I did not. Why I am able to lock my keys in the car is for another discussion.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Be very careful agreeing to Onstar discounts with your insurance company. To see where there are going Read This

Insurance Companies are teaming up with Onstar to track you. Where will it end? Will you pay more insurance unless you agree to be tracked by your insurance thru onstar?

Some wonder what State Farm and Progressive will do with the information gathered in pursuit of discounts -- and worry that privacy could be compromised if the information is passed around.

Boxer 6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Be very careful agreeing to Onstar discounts with your insurance company. To see where there are going Read This

Insurance Companies are teaming up with Onstar to track you. Where will it end? Will you pay more insurance unless you agree to be tracked by your insurance thru onstar?
    This is scary. It's "Big Brother" and I'm not liking that; Even with a discount. Doesn't OnStar have a non disclosure?

Mark

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

If you guys read Internet everybody is talking about "big data analytics". So they need to get this data from somwhere....and it is scary what is happening now....pity young generation does not care about privacy anymore....

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

As a child of the '60's I have learned to question authority. I still do, even when I get questions pertaining to my business that I own. I am very careful as to what type of information I give to anyone, especially random callers and internet inquiries. My 30 something son gives me grief about my questioning the questioner.

blacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    As a child of the '60's I have learned to question authority. I still do, even when I get questions pertaining to my business that I own. I am very careful as to what type of information I give to anyone, especially random callers and internet inquiries. My 30 something son gives me grief about my questioning the questioner.
    Points well taken Tinman>>>The onstar folks have finally, I think, quit calling and writing me to subscribe....I probably crazed the onstar folks because I never activated onstar by pushing the little blue button when I bought the car new and have recently removed the onstar fuse....I guess that means I don't have to wear the tinfoil hat anymore? 'Question Authority', yes!

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Ahh, yes, the tinfoil hat. That keeps out the rays from Alpha-Centauri, correct?

jcortney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS Performance

Speaking of tin-foil. My wife actually had to use this trick last week. Ever since my C6 Corvette (walkup sensors) I have taken the spare fob, wrapped it in tin foil and hidden it in the car. Last week, my wife lost her fob while at a trade show. Onstar opened the car and she remembered I hid the fob. Big problem, easy solution. Made my onstar subscription worth it.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I do the same thing -- if I were to lose my fob or if it were to stop working, I figure that I can always call OnStar to unlock the car, but unless the spare fob is hidden in the car, I wouldn't be able to start it.

However, to avoid the possibility of a valet or car wash attendant finding it and stealing it for later use, or to prevent someone from breaking the window, finding the fob and stealing the car, I keep the foil-wrapped spare fob locked in one of these, which fits nicely in the lower portion of the center console, $21.02 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-54...words=key+safe
    Attached Images

jcortney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS Performance

Great idea, just ordered two.

Thanks,

Joe

One thing to know -- you have to remove the metal key from the fob to fit the fob in the little safe so that you can close it. The key also fits in the safe.

Vanilla Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

Use my OnStar all the time. Drive alot and my CTS does not have navigation, so Turn by Turn is used often. Also come in handy when you are looking for a particular store or restaurant. Just call OnStar and ask for the nearest Red Lobster, WalMart or gas station and they guide you to it. I definitely think it is worth it. But that is just my opinion.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    For those who are paranoid about OnStar knowing where you are.

Face it, your location is public knowledge. Just about every smartphone today will give away your location.

Here in Michigan a kid was implicated in killing his father. The police traced the cell phone pings from the kid's smartphone during the time the dada went missing and that led them to where the kid dumped the body.

Even if you turn the GPS function off on your phone, the police can still triangulate your location from the cell tower pings.

Bottom line, unless yogurt off the grid, people can always tell where you've been .

"yogurt off the grid"? I assume you mean "you go off the grid."

My guess is you're using dictation software and are worse than I am at proofing! ;-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.