CTS seats uncomfortable
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CTS seats uncomfortable in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just purchased a brand new 2012 CTS sports sedan premium with heated and cooled seats and my wife says she ...
    Madejafly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 3.6L Premium

CTS seats uncomfortable

Just purchased a brand new 2012 CTS sports sedan premium with heated and cooled seats and my wife says she feels like she is sitting on two boards, headrest does not feel good. She said no way will she do a long trip, her 2012 XLE Camry is way more comfortable. Took it back to the dealer and they said they have never had any complaints, are they B.S. me? Does anybody else have this problem with the seats?

Mark

Memphis TN

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    This is a common complaint, especially for the models with cooled seats. My coupe has them and while the seats are a little firmer, I have no complaints.

I have to wonder, all of you folks complaining about the seats AFTER the purchase - did you test drive the car BEFORE buying it? Did you bring your spouses with you?

When we purchased our CTS coupe, it was going to be my daily driver. I test drove it and brought my wife with me and had her drive it as well, even though I'll be driving the car 95% of the time.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Re: CTS seats uncomfortable

Many people have said that. I took me 4-5 days to get used to it. Although my car does not have cooled seats.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    This is a common complaint, especially for the models with cooled seats. My coupe has them and while the seats are a little firmer, I have no complaints.

I have to wonder, all of you folks complaining about the seats AFTER the purchase - did you test drive the car BEFORE buying it? Did you bring your spouses with you?

When we purchased our CTS coupe, it was going to be my daily driver. I test drove it and brought my wife with me and had her drive it as well, even though I'll be driving the car 95% of the time.
    Well put...I believe most are getting caught up in the moment during the test drive and just flat out ignore the overall seat comfort. I used the "hard seats" as a bargaining tool when I was ready to buy After I purchased my CTS, I also got used to the seats in a few days.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    I agree everyone who cries about the seats.... It's the same seats you sat in during the test drive. And yea you may get caught up in the moment. In that case do your part, do some research about the car before you blindly go and drive it.

These are valid points and I agree with them.....however, in this situation, I was able to take a CTS without the cooled seats home, test drove it with the wife, no issues. Once back at the dealership, they offered us a premium model at a discount. We didn't know the seats were different and only I test drove it for a short run, not knowing there was a difference. Had the salesperson told me there was an issue with stiff seats with the cooled option, I would have test drove it longer and certainly with the wife. I feel the dealer knew it and was just trying to get rid of the last 2012 on the lot.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Madejafly, the seats in the CTS are one of it's biggest design flaws. The padding is too thin and they are not bolstered enough. Cadillac called this "thin seat technology" back in 08. Hopefully this "technology" has since gone the way of the cassette tape! '08s and 09s start creaking after a while too! The seats are better on later models, but still a poor design. For me, the seats were not uncomfortable but at the same time, they weren't exactly the most comfortable seats either if that makes any sense. It took me quite a while of playing with the seat control to find a decent position. Like others have said, I guess I got used to them and they didn't bother me too much. In hindsight, when buying a car of this class, one should not have to get "used to" the seats though. I seriously doubt your dealer is going to do anything about it as you did buy the car. Good luck on finding a satisfactory resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Madejafly
    These are valid points and I agree with them.....however, in this situation, I was able to take a CTS without the cooled seats home, test drove it with the wife, no issues. Once back at the dealership, they offered us a premium model at a discount. We didn't know the seats were different and only I test drove it for a short run, not knowing there was a difference. Had the salesperson told me there was an issue with stiff seats with the cooled option, I would have test drove it longer and certainly with the wife. I feel the dealer knew it and was just trying to get rid of the last 2012 on the lot.
    Your dealership was slick there...

@pdabs - Agreed. I found that the seats were stiff weeks before I test drive it thanks to this forum!

My wife thinks they did a bait and switch on me, I feel knee high to a curb........

test
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009 View Post
    Madejafly, the seats in the CTS are one of it's biggest design flaws. The padding is too thin and they are not bolstered enough. Cadillac called this "thin seat technology" back in 08. Hopefully this "technology" has since gone the way of the cassette tape! '08s and 09s start creaking after a while too! The seats are better on later models, but still a poor design. For me, the seats were not uncomfortable but at the same time, they weren't exactly the most comfortable seats either if that makes any sense. It took me quite a while of playing with the seat control to find a decent position. Like others have said, I guess I got used to them and they didn't bother me too much. In hindsight, when buying a car of this class, one should not have to get "used to" the seats though. I seriously doubt your dealer is going to do anything about it as you did buy the car. Good luck on finding a satisfactory resolution.

Thanks for all the good information!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009 View Post

My salesperson even asked me if I wanted to trade it in? I have not even had the car a week or 100 miles on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madejafly View Post
    My wife thinks they did a bait and switch on me, I feel knee high to a curb........

Quote Originally Posted by Madejafly
    That's understandable but don't feel like you were taken. The CTS is a very nice car overall and is a blast to drive. Personally, I find the seats in my CTS BETTER on long trips due to the "stiffness". I've heard others complain about their backs because of the seats in the CTS...to each his own I guess.

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

This has been brought up numerous times before. I had a 2010 sedan and it felt like there was a horizontal bar across the seatback right where my back hit the seat. I have a 2012 coupe now and for some reason the seats are more comfortable. Maybe they tried to fix this problem or maybe it's all according to who put the seats together at the factory. I did bring the sedan in and had the service dept. look at it and they found nothing but the service tech and I looked on cadillacs website for service bulletins or something and interestingly enough he found something that told them specifically to not put additional foam in the seats. So, Cadillac was well aware of the problem.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Lots of folks with the CTS-V opt for the Recaro seats.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.