Investigated Door Lock Actuator for Repair/Fix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Investigated Door Lock Actuator for Repair/Fix in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello Everyone, (I'd like to start by saying that I am a professional helicopter mechanic and very capable of modifying ...
    condork464 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Investigated Door Lock Actuator for Repair/Fix

Hello Everyone,

(I'd like to start by saying that I am a professional helicopter mechanic and very capable of modifying items to work properly)

I have decided to tackle the door lock actuator issue. Many people are wondering if they can simply repair their door lock actuators instead of buying a whole new assembly. The answer is....most likely, but it's just not worth it. I took my "weak" actuator out and went to town. There are two rivets/pins that sandwich the assembly together with two metals plates. (By the way: I'd love to show you some pictures, but my actuator is in pieces.) In addition, two lever assemblies are riveted as well. Anyhow, after grinding the rivet heads off i found it ridiculously difficult to pry the plates apart. When the plates did come apart, i thought to myself, "okay the hard part is over"....NOPE! There were about eight torx screws holding the assembly within a plastic housing. As soon as i opened the housing up i heard that awful noise of springs letting loose! Well, I continued anyways, bound and determined to prove that a repair could be done. Upon my inspection I found that everything looked perfect! So, what does that leave us? ...the inside of the electric motor. Yup, i took it apart too and found an absolute ton of black residue. The contacts were completely covered and it was no wonder the motor didn't stop working completely! I thought to myself that the "average joe" is not going to take apart this little motor and attempt to clean up these contacts. It's simply too easy to mess something up or loose a piece. So I searched for a replacement motor at easy to find locations like radio shack. Sorry, but this is not a common motor. Even if you did find the proper motor, you still have to think about putting the assembly back together which would consist of tapping into the rivet/pins because the rivet/pins have specific shoulders on them to hold components in place. Essentially, just go purchase the assembly from your local dealer. I picked mine up for $79 & change.

For the disassemble refer to this youtube video which explains the important parts. Anything else can be easily figured out. (I believe in you!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFNcsSXeWE

I hope my curiosity has saved you lots of time and aggravation. Please heed my advice or you will be driving to the dealership with a "jerry rigged" door to prevent it from flopping around at stops. If you are dumb enough to proceed and fail, tie the inside door handles together for maximum effect and minimum damage.

Thank you,

Teddy Byrd III
    teebo, teebo and bezzi44 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Re: Investigated Door Lock Actuator for Repair/Fix

You could have just asked me, I used to be a door latch engineer . Exploratory surgery is always fun though!

To reiterate, most modern door latches are not designed to be taken apart. It is a key safety component for a vehicle, and the springs/rivets/etc do not allow for disassembly.

condork464 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

Exploratory surgery is always fun. And it is even more fun when you accomplish something that few others have.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    You could have just asked me, I used to be a door latch engineer .
    so it's all your fault. Gotcha.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    so it's all your fault. Gotcha.
    Yes! Except I worked for a "competitor", lol . Let's just say even after the "customer satisfaction campaign" to address freezing latches in certain 08-09 CTS's my driver's side latch still had to be replaced due to the actuator freezing up in colder temperatures.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    Yes! Except I worked for a "competitor", lol . Let's just say even after the "customer satisfaction campaign" to address freezing latches in certain 08-09 CTS's my driver's side latch still had to be replaced due to the actuator freezing up in colder temperatures.
    For that problem there is an easy solution - move South!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Good thread, gave me a little laugh this morning!

jhschlak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6 DI

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have a part number for the door lock assembly? Mine is the driver's side which just went bad on Sunday.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Jhschlak, are you still seeking this information? I can check my resources for you; please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN and I'm happy to investigate.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

zeevert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

My driver's door lock stopped working.
    I'm going to try and replace the latch/lock.

Update: This is a used lock / latch. But it is NOT correct for my 2009 CTS. It has a 3-hole mounting pattern

Here are pictures from the Actuator Door latch / lock from my 2009 CTS drivers door (key start system).
    p/n 25876534
    Note: 2-hole mounting pattern

According to a GM Parts Website, the 25876534 is superceded by 22791029

Tried to order Latch 22791029, but order cancelled by dealer after VIN number check.
    New Latch ordered - 22862244.
    Way too many part numbers associated with a 2009 CTS... maybe an indication of a quality or design problem?
    Eventually, I'll get this figured out.

Removing the inside door panel and replacing the doorlatch/lock on my 2009 CTS.
    This car does NOT have the push button start.

Make sure the door window is all the way up. Once the door panel is removed, it is almost impossible to activate any of the electrical stuff on the door.

Remove the small plastic cover behind the inside door handle.
    Remove Phillips head screw behind the cover.

Remove the plastic cover on the inside pull handle. This one is difficult, but it does pull straight off.
    Remove the Two Phillips head screws behind this cover.

Before you pull the door panel off, you might want to get a box or something to set the door panel on, while you wrestle with disconnecting the cable. Your speaker will be exposed, so be careful you donít poke it with the alignment pin from the door panel.
    There are about 8 or 9 plastic clips holding the door panel tothe door. I like to start at the front/lower corner, and pull the panel straight off the door, and unhook it from the top and lift over the door lock button.
    The electrical connectors are built into the panel, and ďautomaticallyĒ plug and unplug.
    Set the door panel on your box. The door handle cable needs to be disconnected from the door panel. There is also a yellow clip holding the cable to the door.

Peel back the plastic cover and pull the cable from the hole in the cover.

Unscrew the two torx screws in the door jamb that hold the latch.

The door latch/lock is now hanging loose from the 3 rods and the electrical connector.
    Remove the rod to the outside door handle first. Unlock the yellow clip. It is real easy, but you need to push/pull the right tab.

Next, unplug the electrical connector. This is a little tricky (sorry, no photo). The burgundy/red clip pulls SIDEWAYS to the connector. As you pull on red clip, the connector will slide off the latch connection. Itís pretty easy; donít force it, no tools needed.
    Finally, the last two rods are connected with hooks. These hooks are connected to the inside and outside door locks. You can turn and twist the latch assembly and both hooks will unhook. This is a good time to pay attention to which rod is hooked where. Be gentle, go slow. Itíll come off.

Reassembly is almost the reverse of disassembly.
    I like to connect the two lock rods first. Make sure you donít ďtrapĒ the 3rd rod behind the latch.
    Push the electrical connector on, WHILE pushing the red/burgundy lock clip back in.
    Attach the latch to the door with the two torx screws.
    THEN you can attach the 3rd rod by closing the yellow clip. You need to do this connection AFTER attaching the latch to the door.
    Push the cable thru the plastic inner cover and connect the yellow clip to the door.
    Connect the cable to the door panel / door handle.
    Now you need to be careful and gentle. There are two long, white alignment pins on the door panel. I managed to break one of them, and I broke the plastic trim around the inside door lock button.
    Hook the door panel over the door lock button and the window ledge.
    Gently align the two alignment pins in their holes, then firmly press the door panel to the door on the 8-9 clips.
    Now you can actually test your door lock and latch.
    Install the three Phillips head screws, and the two covers.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Nicely done, zeevert.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.