3.6 V6 timing chain replacement - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 3.6 V6 timing chain replacement in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; was at gym today, a mechanic said their was a problem with changing the timing chain, and expensive to work ...
    carlrugby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 deville

Re: 3.6 V6 timing chain replacement

was at gym today, a mechanic said their was a problem with changing the timing chain, and expensive to work on and a common problem. Yet consumers reports said a good engine as far as reliability all years except the 08. has anyone else needed to replace the belt/chain prior to 100k

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

'08' 3.6DI @ 55K mi. - no issues to report on mine. Had reprogramming done at 40K

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

carlrugby, yes, 2008-09 CTS timing chains are a common problem and expensive repair; otherwise GM would not have chosen to extend warranty coverage to 10yrs or 120Kmi, whichever occurs first, for all 2008 and most 2009 3.6L timing chains.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

We do these steady.....99% for preventive maintanance, but this is very common and most dont know it is an issue until it jumps timing, and then most often it is piston to valve contact and damage is severe.

Smokeys427 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

WOW, this one is a scary one!
    Mine makes a sound when starting cold. the sound is hard to describe. It almost sounds like a diesel for about a half second then is all OK. No drivability problems at all and she runs great. When you start it hot the sound is not there at all. Do you have to take the car in to get this extended warranty on the timing chain? Mines an 09 caddy with the standard V6 with about 70K.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Hi Smokeys427,

Rich fuel mixture and a bit of "diesel" engine sound is normal at cold start.

Extended timing chain warranty has been assigned to affected VINs within the GM/Cadillac/Dealer data system, and it's my understanding that all 2009 CTS, excepting very late production, are included. If you didn't receive a letter of notification from GM, then you can ask your local dealer or Cadillac Customer Service reps on this forum to confirm your vehicle's warranty status.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I think a better description of possible cam chain problems might be labeled 'not uncommon'; when 'common' is used it almost sounds as cam chain failure is almost inevitable (at some point in time), which is a gross inaccuracy and exaggeration. (of course, if it happens to you, then it's 100%) I think, preventively, warming the engine prior to 'hard use' (which would be advisable for any engine) would be prudent, along with maintaining proper oil level, that we could see a drastic reduction of these occurrences. Just an opinion (on this issue).

Thanks 928 for the info. What is that "diesel" sound attributed to???
    Love my CTS though. I have been shying away from GM cars for the last few years because of quality control problems but my CTS is my first GM back since then. I think GM has come back and knocked it out of the park with the CTS.
    The only problem I seem to have with this car is the warping rotors.
    Thanks again and this board with all the great info
    Smokeys427

I agree with C&C....not uncommon is far better wording. We see so many for this issue is why I used common.

The rattle when cold is the time it takes for the tensioner to fill properly with oil to take up the slack. There is no backup spring like traditional OHC engines and this is a warning sign that the chains (3 of them) tesioners, and guides are worn.

These motors are amazing great motors so dont be discouraged...we have made over 700HP with one, and we have them making 450-500 all day long with over 20 super charged and turbo charged holding up great. ALL manufacturers have weak points, the important part is that they address them.

OK now I'm confused. SC2150 Are you saying the "rattling" is the same as the "Dieseling" sound I'm hearing is the same noise? If so, does this fall under the 100K power train warranty Cadillac?If it does I'm going to get it in ASAP

Dieseling is a "rattling" sound, unless it is a different sound like the pressue relief valve rattling in the bottom of the oil filter housing. I'm not sure about the warranty....every warranty writer makes those decisions so I cant answer that. We just build and rebuild them and do product development for the aftermarket performance crowd.

Thanks again SC2150!
    I just called our local Caddy dealer and he acknowledged that they did have a problem with the cam chains and it SHOULD NOT make any sound at cold start up. If it does, and if this is the problem, it does fall under the powertrain warranty. I set up an appointment for me to bring it on in Monday or Tuesday. I'll be sure to follow up with you guys here in the forum on how this all turns out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256270

Here is a thread on one we are finishing today....but we did just a little more to it.

WOW!! Just looking at those pic's shows there is a lot of chain in there! As long as that chain is I don't see how it wouldn't stretch over time and cause a problem at some point. Is that just plastic pieces that the chain slides on?

dburkart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Sarah,

I saw your note on the Cadillac forum from 10-16-12 about checking the status of the cam chain issue with specific vehicles. I am looking at a 2010 CTS Sportwagon with a 3.6 to purchase and the cam chains certainly concern me. The last eight of the VIN are : A0105528. I would appreciate if you could check the status of this vehicle. I can be reached via email or phone 973-256-6644.

Best Regards,
    Dave Burkart

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello folks,
    If you have timing chain concerns and want for us to check into this further with your dealership, we're available to you. Please contact us either via private message or email (katie_lucille@gmexpert.com) with more details (including your name and contact information, as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN). Those of you writing from Canada, you can reach GM of Canada at 1-888-446-2000 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).
    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.