2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; at take off, you can hear a knocking noise from underneath the car. I already have it diagnosed and know ...
    ajnasrah20083 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4

2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise?

at take off, you can hear a knocking noise from underneath the car. I already have it diagnosed and know what it is, but can't find exactly what I am looking for. It's the Drive shaft center carrier or something of that nature. The problem is, I can't get it alone, I have to pay $500 for the whole driveshaft. Does anyone know where I can get just the carrier I need? It's a pretty common problem. This car is AWD.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: 2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise?

^ The problem you face is likely the prop shaft (in vicinity of the CV joint) or the AWD transaxle making contact with the driveline tunnel/vehicle frame at times of high driveline torque, which typically occurs at take off. I had the issue on my previous '08 CTS4. The grounding problem on your vehicle will most likely be fixed by the application of shims. Find a competent dealer and have them look for the likely point of contact on the underside of your vehicle. Be aware the point of contact may not be super evident - if evident at all. As info note the driveline rotates in an elliptical manner at times of high torque. This particular problem, set up to occur by an unfortunate stacking of manufacturing tolerances, occurs mainly on 2008 and 2009 cars. The problem is often made to occur or is worsened once the engine/drivetrain reaches normal operating temperature (i.e. at the point of maximum component 'growth'). 1 or perhaps 1 1/2 hours of labor and the cost of shims should fix your issue. Good luck.
    I've included below 2 document images in connection with the same/similar issue experienced after delivery of my '08 CTS4 in Sept. 2007.

ajnasrah20083 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4

you can hear the noise even at cold start, plus the problem isn't constant. It is very light noise that you can hear at take of for a second or two. Forgot to mention all that, thanks for the help!

blackonblackNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

I think I have the same issue, had to drop mine off today at the dealer...but they won't look at it until Monday. Is the reason that you have to pay for it because you're out of warranty? I'm expecting that mine will be covered given that I've still got a few months and 5,500 miles left on my vehicle.

Also @RAB, is this unique to AWD? Thanks!

Thanks!

blackonblackNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

I think I have the same issue, had to drop mine off today at the dealer...but they won't look at it until Monday. Is the reason that you have to pay for it because you're out of warranty? I'm expecting that mine will be covered given that I've still got a few months and 5,500 miles left on my vehicle.

Also @RAB, is this unique to AWD? Thanks!

Thanks!

Seminara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI AWD

I just dropped my 2008 CTS AWD off at the dealer today. I heard a knocking noise and lifted the car to find that one of the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the tranny had broken and fallen out. The knocking was coming from the metal bracket (#6 from image posted by RAB). I would've just replaced the bolt but after a quick test I realized that a quarter of the bolt was still inside. I am just under the 5 year 100K drivetrain warranty so I am hoping that they cover it. I've never seen anything like this, I am now wondering if there is something broken in the driveshaft that caused it to move around and break a bolt and how another one of the bolt was walking it's way out.Driveshaft-1.jpgDriveshaft-2.jpgDriveshaft-3.jpg

ArmyJoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 CTS coupe 10 SRX

Its funny that this came up. Yesterday while driving my 11 CTS coupe on the highway I heard a loud bang right below the center of the car followed by a metal on metal gridning sounds. The problem: the failure of those two bolts (part number 6). It took two days to repair and the car seems to be handling better much better now. The Cadilalc Tech said he had a simular situation on another CTS earlier. Have your tech recheck those bolts.

rulison is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I tend to have a clicking noise when accelerating It's definitely coming from the back seat area underneath the center area. Possibly the drive shaft. I wonder if this the same problem? Any thoughts ?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Seminara, I hope you'll let us know the dealer's diagnosis when you get the opportunity. And if you would like assistance contacting your dealer to follow up on your vehicle's status, then please let me know! I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Seminara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI AWD

Got the car back yesterday. The dealer replaced all 6 bolts. They had to drill and retap three of the six. I expressed my concern with the tech because my powertrain warranty ends in February and they had never seen this before. This leaves me again wondering if I should expect this to happen again. I've heard of couplers going because people drive like jerks but never anything like this.

Bloated ComputerTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can't thank you guys enough for posting this info! I had been hearing an intermittent ticking noise when slowing down and coming to a stop. Then last week or so I was getting a mild vibration at around 45mph. I saw this thread, put my car up on ramps and was SHOCKED with what I found!
    cts coupling.jpg
    Just have to wait until Wednesday to get it to the dealer.

Does anyone know of any of this work is covered under warranty?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

rulison,
    If you were to send the last 8 of your VIN our way, we can get you information on the specific warranty parameters on your vehicle and details on what is covered. We can be reached via private message or email (katie_lucille@gmexpert.com).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Took my cts to the dealer today. They are replacing the driveshaft due to the problems. Covered on the drivetrain warranty.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Bloated ComputerTech View Post
    I can't thank you guys enough for posting this info! I had been hearing an intermittent ticking noise when slowing down and coming to a stop. Then last week or so I was getting a mild vibration at around 45mph. I saw this thread, put my car up on ramps and was SHOCKED with what I found!
    Attachment 101514
    Just have to wait until Wednesday to get it to the dealer.
    OK, let's revisit an old thread to add more color commentary, and hopefully help me figure out what I want to do going forward.

I had the same issue as Bloated, a ticking noise when coming to a stop. More predominately on a downhill. I first suspected a wheel bearing, but it wasn't a constant noise. I thought it might be a problem with the brakes since I noticed it when applying the brakes, and I do have hot spots on the front rotors causing some pulsing. When I got home last night, I was able to reproduce the noise in the driveway moving the car no faster than you would if you were pushing it. So we listen carefully, and the noise is NOT coming from any of the wheels. It's coming from underneath the car in the middle. So some searching and I find this post, and Bloated's symptoms are the same as mine. So I'm thinking I've got bolts backing out or maybe even broken off.

Today I took it to the dealer and informed them of my self diagnosis. The service adviser took the car in and called me a couple hours later. They report no issues with the bolts, joint, shafts, bushings, or transfer case. All of that is OK. The problem is diagnosed as front tires that are "cupping". I'm told this is not a problem with alignment or anything on the car itself, and that this is due to an issue with the belts in the tire causing the cupping. They put the wheel/tire on their road force balancer and the balancer identified that there was a cupping issue and the tire could not be balanced. They were doing this to measure the wheel/tire to see if it was a wheel or tire issue.

So I'm told this cupping problem is an issue with the tires, and I'm told I need to replace all 4 tires to solve the problem. The dealer says I can let it go for a little while if I want. The dealer said the clicking noise is the transfer case, but it won't damage the transfer case. It's just going to be more of an annoyance than anything else.

So, that's my story and I'm looking for folks to weigh in on the issue at hand. Could the problem really be cupping of the tires? Will putting 4 tires on fix my problem? If the final deal is to put 4 tires on the car, what brand and model of tire to put on? I currently have Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires on it right now.

Thanks All

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.