2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Unless the shocks are so bad that they allow the tire to bounce as you go down the road, it's ...
    SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Re: 2009 CTS-4 Driveshaft flap/knock noise?

Unless the shocks are so bad that they allow the tire to bounce as you go down the road, it's the tires. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are a good choice in a max performance summer tire. Very good grip and they wear pretty good too.

Bill

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    OK, let's revisit an old thread to add more color commentary, and hopefully help me figure out what I want to do going forward.

I had the same issue as Bloated, a ticking noise when coming to a stop. More predominately on a downhill. I first suspected a wheel bearing, but it wasn't a constant noise. I thought it might be a problem with the brakes since I noticed it when applying the brakes, and I do have hot spots on the front rotors causing some pulsing. When I got home last night, I was able to reproduce the noise in the driveway moving the car no faster than you would if you were pushing it. So we listen carefully, and the noise is NOT coming from any of the wheels. It's coming from underneath the car in the middle. So some searching and I find this post, and Bloated's symptoms are the same as mine. So I'm thinking I've got bolts backing out or maybe even broken off.

Today I took it to the dealer and informed them of my self diagnosis. The service adviser took the car in and called me a couple hours later. They report no issues with the bolts, joint, shafts, bushings, or transfer case. All of that is OK. The problem is diagnosed as front tires that are "cupping". I'm told this is not a problem with alignment or anything on the car itself, and that this is due to an issue with the belts in the tire causing the cupping. They put the wheel/tire on their road force balancer and the balancer identified that there was a cupping issue and the tire could not be balanced. They were doing this to measure the wheel/tire to see if it was a wheel or tire issue.

So I'm told this cupping problem is an issue with the tires, and I'm told I need to replace all 4 tires to solve the problem. The dealer says I can let it go for a little while if I want. The dealer said the clicking noise is the transfer case, but it won't damage the transfer case. It's just going to be more of an annoyance than anything else.

So, that's my story and I'm looking for folks to weigh in on the issue at hand. Could the problem really be cupping of the tires? Will putting 4 tires on fix my problem? If the final deal is to put 4 tires on the car, what brand and model of tire to put on? I currently have Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires on it right now.

Thanks All
    Hello HurstGN,

I apologize for the vehicle issue you are experiencing. I see you have been working with the dealer and the consensus is to replace your tires. I am sorry if the clicking noise won't be able to be resolved and I understand how it will be an annoyance to you. I see another forum member already offered advice of which tires are good to replace them with. If you have additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

OK, so if it's the tires, then what is causing the cupping of the tires? I just want to wrap my head around how this happened. This is my first AWD car and I'm not sure the cost of replacing 4 tires yearly justifies the AWD in the winter. My Pirelli's are only 1 year old with about 15K miles...and have about 75% of the tread left. I really expected more from these tires. I've never had to trash 4 tires with tread like this.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Poor tire construction that results in what looks like little scoops taken out of the tread. It tends to affect the front tires more than the rear because the the front tires handle steering loads in addition to the loads they have in common with the rear. Hard to say if it's a bad design or just a bad batch.

If the rear tires are ok, then you might be able to get by replacing only the front tires. You could gamble and hope it's just a bad batch and buy new Pirellis or you could go to a different tire for the front. Bear in mind that a different tire in the front from the rear might well cause the car to drive a bit differently if you drive aggressively or do something sudden.

Bill

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Well, I'm going to do 4 new tires because of what I've read on the matching of tires on an AWD system. My biggest concern is that I'm just addressing the symptom by replacing tires and not fixing the root cause of the problem. This is the "old" me coming through... I've never experienced this with any other car I've had. But this is the first AWD. Till now it's been either RWD or FWD.

I'm ordering tires and will see how this all plays out over time.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm adding this to the list of "experiences".

stevenhorowitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1937 fleetwood 3729 4 door convertible sedan, 1978 Eldo Biar

Last week our 2008 CTS AWD starting a constant loud ticking noise suddenly. Today we put it up on the lift and saw those same 6 bolts coupling the rear drive shaft as the problem. One was actually missing and 5 were very loose. We tightened the five with a T-45 torx bit by using a long socket wrench extension from behind, and the noise is cured. I checked with my dealer today to get the sixth bolt, and he said my car is just out of warranty. We bought the car brand new and have no other problems, and have had the car serviced at the dealer regularly, but it seems this is a common problem that the mechanics should routinely tighten those six bolts before they fall out. Can Cadillac Customer service do anything?

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    Well, I'm going to do 4 new tires because of what I've read on the matching of tires on an AWD system. My biggest concern is that I'm just addressing the symptom by replacing tires and not fixing the root cause of the problem. This is the "old" me coming through... I've never experienced this with any other car I've had. But this is the first AWD. Till now it's been either RWD or FWD.

I'm ordering tires and will see how this all plays out over time.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm adding this to the list of "experiences".
    I'm skeptical about the tires, I don't believe the story the dealership is trying to sell you. I think what I'd do
    is buy the new tires from the dealer and if the problem isn't cured, then it's in his lap and on his dime. thanks, douglas

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenhorowitz View Post
    Last week our 2008 CTS AWD starting a constant loud ticking noise suddenly. Today we put it up on the lift and saw those same 6 bolts coupling the rear drive shaft as the problem. One was actually missing and 5 were very loose. We tightened the five with a T-45 torx bit by using a long socket wrench extension from behind, and the noise is cured. I checked with my dealer today to get the sixth bolt, and he said my car is just out of warranty. We bought the car brand new and have no other problems, and have had the car serviced at the dealer regularly, but it seems this is a common problem that the mechanics should routinely tighten those six bolts before they fall out. Can Cadillac Customer service do anything?
    Hello stevenhorowitz,

I am more than happy to help look into this for you and see what I can do. Please private message me and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealer you have been working with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

bmoe718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

CTS4drivelineimage.gif

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Whenever I'm stopped at a stoplight or stop sign, once I accelerate, I get that 1-3 seconds of knocking and vibrating under my 2009 CTS. I took it to Midas and the diagnosis was the CV Joint (Number 5) on my driveshaft is bad. There's a rubber piece inside the CV Joint that keeps the driveshaft in place. Without that rubber piece the driveshaft rumbles and knocks around while the car is in motion. I have a rear wheel drive CTS so I've called dealerships and autobody shops and they all say that you can't just buy the CV Joint, you have to completely replace the driveshaft. I was quoted and just over $1000 for the repair (parts and labor) at Midas. I have an after market warranty and the warranty is covering the repair (but they did have to send an adjuster out to verify what repairs were needed). When my car is fixed and all is said and done, I'll post an update.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.