Steering wheel rubbing sound:
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Steering wheel rubbing sound: in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

Steering wheel rubbing sound:

A very noticeable rubbing squeak, sounds exactly like a wet thumb rubbing against glass or rubber , on every turn.
    At 3/6/12 I complained about hissing in the steering wheel when I drive in a quiet parking garage but the dealer said hissing sound is normal in the CTS. Few months later the hissing turned louder and started to sound more like rubbing and very noticeable.
    On September 31st I took my CTS to the dealer again and they try to repair it according to bulletin #PIC4604 but didnít fix the problem.
    On August 8th I took the car back and they removed the steering wheel lower panel out for more inspection; the intermediate shaft has been replaced and lubricated at bearing (according to a Doc. ID# 2009199 at steering intermediate upper shaft seal making noises) and that didnít fix the problem either.
    According to the latest work order shows that my dealer called T.A.C (Technical Assistance Center) for advice and replaced an order for a steering column. On Friday August 10 I had my car back; now Iím expecting a call from my dealer when the part will arrive.
    From reading this website I found out that all the rubbing sounds on CTS were treated with replacing the steering rack not steering column.
    Has anyone else had the steering column replaced because of a rubbing sound and the problem was fixed?.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Re: Steering wheel rubbing sound:

As you read on this forum, the steering rack was replaced last week on my '09 CTS. It seems to have taken care of the rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

I had it done on my 08 CTS for a rubbing sound when cornering slowly. Have since traded car in. Replaced Rack and Pinion. Had to take it back due to a groaning like sound when pulling forward under low speeds. Fixed - caused by manner in which power steering components re-installed with rack work. No further issues.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

The sound I was hearing *really* sounded like it was from inside the car (i.e. steering column/steering wheel rubbing, etc.) when turning at very low speeds. Mine was very intermittent. I just happened to luck out and have it make the noise when I had the service manager in the car with me to address a different issue.

The mechanic was convinced it was the steering rack, so I let them replace it under warranty. The noise definitely went away and hasn't come back after about 10,000 miles. There must have been a TSB or something that led them to believe this was the problem -- they were very certain that was the cause of the problem.

I mentioned previously that, since the steering rack replacement, I've noticed that turning the wheel when moving very slowly results in more of a skipping/grating feel. I'm hoping that's due to my original tires wearing out and getting close to needing replacement and that it's not a sign of more serious trouble brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    The sound I was hearing *really* sounded like it was from inside the car (i.e. steering column/steering wheel rubbing, etc.) when turning at very low speeds. Mine was very intermittent. I just happened to luck out and have it make the noise when I had the service manager in the car with me to address a different issue.

The mechanic was convinced it was the steering rack, so I let them replace it under warranty. The noise definitely went away and hasn't come back after about 10,000 miles. There must have been a TSB or something that led them to believe this was the problem -- they were very certain that was the cause of the problem.

I mentioned previously that, since the steering rack replacement, I've noticed that turning the wheel when moving very slowly results in more of a skipping/grating feel. I'm hoping that's due to my original tires wearing out and getting close to needing replacement and that it's not a sign of more serious trouble brewing.
    Besides the rubbing noise I had a steering wheel shudder/vibration when I turn the steering wheel very slowly, I think that what you mentioned "skipping/grating feel".
    According to the dealer work sheet:
    ĒThe cause was: Suspension & alignment. The part: flushed the power steering completely and bleed the system: which fixed problem at this time. Test drove car ok nowĒĒ
    But the rubbing sound is still there and sounded like it is from inside.
    Iím still under bumper to bumper warranty until the 21st of this month

I took my CTS twice for service to fix the steering wheel rubbing sound at July 31 and August 8 with a total of 5 days at the dealer shop. Now Iím having my car back waiting for parts since last Friday and according to my service advisor itís going to take at least till 8/21, because Cadillac doesnít have the parts in the warehouse, which by then my bumper to bumper warranty will be over by one day. I bought my CTS 8/21/08.
    I'm skeptical and looking forward for advice.
    Thanks.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I'm glad there's a thread on this. I had the rubbing sound and the dealer said it was the rack. I had already had the intermediate shaft replaced. After the rack was replaced, I started getting a shudder in turns as if the tire on one side was skipping. I took it in once and they said it was normal. It doesn't seem normal and this week in a hard uturn the rack groaned and I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I guess I'm not alone.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Elo_mcfeelo, have you contacted our Customer Assistance Center at any point during your frustrations? If you haven't, I can set up an official service request (case) for you that would associate your contact information with your specific concern. This case would enable me to communicate with your dealer to follow-up on your behalf and work with you all towards a resolution! Please contact me via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to explore this option with you.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

exm22psu, your shudder sounds alot like mine. Making a slow speed, fairly sharp turn like in a parking lot or neighborhood and it does it(or did it). Almost feels like a tire is flat for a moment. I got told twice by the dealer it was "normal for AWD" then when I continued to insist it's not, they started replacing parts. Steering gear, front control arms, and rebuilt the rear diff with new clutch packs. Problem still existed. There was a low "wot wot wot" type noise that would accompany the shudder. I never had the rubbing sound that others have described. Good luck on getting it fixed! After 5 service visits, I finally fixed it by trading the car.

In an attempt to prove my shudder was not normal, I found my car's twin(same year, color, wheel size, AWD, and nearly identical mileage) at our Land Rover dealer so I drove my old car over there and acted like a customer and asked for a test drive. Low and behold, the salesman let me and my girlfriend take it without him. I quickly took it to a nearby parking lot and neighborhood to do some tight, slow speed turns(same place I had taken the service manager when he rode along with me in mine) and see how this one behaved. Guess what, no shudder but it did make some type of a rubbing noise that sounded like it came from the steering column. The seats also squeaked, although maybe not as bad as mine. Surprisingly, the sunrood shade on it was silent. Now, here is the kicker! When I was talking with the salesman about the car, he informed me he had sold Cadillacs at what used to be our locally owned Cadillac dealer for nearly 20 years, literally up until the day they closed in 2010. He went on to tell me how much warranty the CTS had left at that the Chevrolet dealer could do any repairs needed in or out of warranty. Trying to act like a customer with no knowledge of the CTS, I asked him why not a Cadillac dealer. He grinned for a moment and said he went to work at that Cadillac dealer after the original one closed and left shortly after. He went on to say "I trust the Chevy dealer if you know what I mean". This told me all I need to know about and confirmed what I had been experiencing at the Cadillac dealer. Too bad they are the only one in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Elo_mcfeelo, have you contacted our Customer Assistance Center at any point during your frustrations? If you haven't, I can set up an official service request (case) for you that would associate your contact information with your specific concern. This case would enable me to communicate with your dealer to follow-up on your behalf and work with you all towards a resolution! Please contact me via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to explore this option with you.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Thank you Katie for your response, Iím feeling much better that youíre offering me help during my frustrations. My concern is my warranty will be over when the steering wheel parts will arrive to fix the problem, but Iíll wait for another week and give my dealer a chance to finish the job he started before the end of the warranty, and hope that the parts will arrive and the rubbing squeak will be fixed; otherwise Iíll email you and request to open a case.
    Thanks again

Mine's in the shop for the steering shuddering ... I'll let everyone know what it ends up being ...

sand_surfer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI AWD (NAV)

I have the same issue as all of you described. Rear differential was my dealer's diagnosis... whodathought, right?

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Seems like a lot of folks like me have had this rack and pinion issue on their 08s with over 30K miles indicating a possible systemic problem. For my case, replacing something as vital a component as the rack and pinion draws concern over the effects on the overall handling - something which is at the core of the CTS and one of its major engineering features.

When reproduced with the tech at the caddy dealership, he said, it might be the steering gear ... I will let you know what it ends up being ... yes, I am concerned about overall handling and overall reliability after warranty expires ...

Smokeys427 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

My 09 does this same thing. When turning slowly you can feel like a skipping feel. I'm out of my bumper to bumper so it looks I'm at the point of caddy's wrath. I agree this problem should be covers in a product recall since so many of them have this problem and can affect the steering of the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.