Steering wheel rubbing sound: - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Steering wheel rubbing sound: in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I had the rack and pinion changed about a month ago as well as the front right bearing. Two weeks ...
    like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Re: Steering wheel rubbing sound:

I had the rack and pinion changed about a month ago as well as the front right bearing. Two weeks back, they changed the front right shock assembly, including the front right upper control arms because of a creaking noise. After a good four-wheel alignment, the car now drives better than new!! So far, I'm very happy of how it turned out - especially that I was also worried about such major parts replacement.
    to my dealer!

elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

I took my 08 CTS back to the dealer today for the steering wheel problem, it looks to me that the steering wheel vibration/shudder is associated with the rubbing sound, even though the mechanic said before that they're two different issues. I called my dealer yesterday and I was told that the steering wheel parts they were in back-order for over a week and a half ago have just arrived; my service advisor left me a message then to let me know that he has a steering column in order, but when I was talking to him later he said it could be the steering gear or he might have to replace the rack and pinion.
    My car has only 20,767 miles as of today, such a disappointment to have a major steering wheel problem with a very low mileage. Now I'm back to square one crossing my fingers hoping "Third Time's a Charm"
    I'll keep you updated of the outcome.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I ended up having to call Cadillac Customer Assistance to open a case. The dealer was unable to resolve the issue with the shudder/binding when turning on AWD models. Evidently, this is a known issue. I can't understand, however, how it is related to the replacement of my steering rack. Before it was replaced, there was a rubbing sound. After it was replaced, the rubbing sound was gone but the shuddering/binding issue surfaced. I do hope Cadillac Customer Assistance can do something. My car has been to the shop so many times since I bought it in 09, I lost count. I want to say it's had over 80 problems since it was new, from defective seat frames and defective coils to static on bluetooth, squeaking screen and leaking boot on the axle. The list goes on and on and on ...

My 08 CTS still in the shop since Wednesday on the top of the 5 days already been in service during August for the same steering wheel rubbing sound. I too had many problems with my car, some were just recalls but the vast majority were problems shouldn't been there.
    Today I got a phone call from my service advisor telling me that they already changed the rack and pinion besides the many other parts were changed but the rubbing sound is still there, now they ordered a different part, will come on Monday, and they'll also try to adjust the steering wheel position.
    According to my service advisor they're now in direct communication with Cadillac Technical Support trying to find a solution for my steering wheel.

I got my car yesterday from the dealer, it was in the shop from 8/22 to 8/28. The rubbing sound has gone and no vibration/shudder in the steering wheel, many parts were replaced including steering column, gear, rack and pinion and re-alignment of the steering wheel.
    Thanks for the support.

Less than a month later and after numerous visits to the shop and replacing every possible component in the steering wheel (under Cadillac technical support guidance according to my service advisor) now the vibration/shudder in the steering wheel is back whenever I turn the wheel in very low speed or in stand-still to park the car.
    I'm taking my 08 CTS again to the shop this Tuesday morning.
    My B2B warranty is over, I assume they have to fix whatever they left during the warranty period.
    I believe CTS has serious problem with the steering wheel and many threads besides mine were recorded in this and other forums revealing the same frustration.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

elo,
    I just came across a TSB from GM/Cadillac regarding the steering binding:

Bulletin No: PIC-4986-C

Date of Bulletin: 02/07/2012
    Summary Description:

CADILLAC: VEHICLE MAY EXPERIENCE A BINDING OR EXCESSIVE TIGHTNESS CONDITION SIMILAR TO BEING IN 4WD WHEN STEERING WHEEL IS IN FULL LOCK POSITION EITHER DRIVING FORWARD OR REVERSE. *PE

Just thought this could help!

Thanks like2drive for the TSB .
    Last Tuesday, 10/2/12 I took my CTS to the dealer and I demonstrated to my service advisor and the mechanic the steering wheel shudder, it's excessive, more like "jerking" steering wheel with a knocking sound on low speed or stand still turns when transmission is on drive or reverse especially on a smooth pavement like a multi levels parking garage, on my own home garage or the dealer's driveway (it doesn't do it on neutral or park). My dealer contacted GM technical support then they ordered another rack and pinion steering was due for same day delivery. The next day the car was ready, and I was told that they replaced the steering gear instead, and my service advisor gave me a copy of a Bulletin No: PIC5511 Steering Shudder Feeling During Slow Steering Input At Idle - (July 26, 2011). I signed the work invoice and I had my car back, I took it for a test drive and the excessive "jerking" in the steering wheel on slow turns was still there; I went back to my service advisor and I had him ride with me then the service manager talked to me and contacted GM technical support again, and I was told that GM will send a Steering Wheel Technician to work on my CTS.
    My CTS' still in the shop since then.
    Last Tuesday & Wednesday I had a loaner 2012 CTS with NO SHUDDER, then on Wednesday evening they gave me another loaner 2013 CTS, which I still have, and I felt the steering wheel shudder that I can live with, but mine is excessive.

Strange thing ... my steering shudder disappeared ... just like that ... gone ... I have no idea why ...

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by exm22psu View Post
    Strange thing ... my steering shudder disappeared ... just like that ... gone ... I have no idea why ...
    Did it get colder in your area?

Not really, somedaycts. It was there one day, took to the dealer for them to look at it again, and when I got it back, it was gone. They said they couldn't reproduce it and had done nothing. I'm lost but glad it's not there.

I finally had my car back from the dealer on Friday 10/12/12, after checking and replacing numerous parts again including steering gear, changing the steering fluid, wheel alignment, removed and replaced a new power steering pump...etc. The job was monitored and approved by GM technical support. The shudder is still there (which more like jerking and knocking) when I turn the steering wheel on smooth surface and the car on stand still or low speed and the transmission on Drive or Reverse only, the shutter doesn't happen on Neutral or Park.
    GM Field Engineer went to my dealer and test drove my car for 24 miles and gave it every possible test especially on low speed, stand still, turns on smooth pavement on Drive and Reverse. Here's the final conclusion, according to the Repair Order Invoice:
    "10/11/12 Field Service Engineer examine vehicle, compared to numerous vehicle of same year, all vehicle have the same shudder in steering, symptom is to be considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle. No additional repairs are required."
    Ironically, I never felt any shudder or heard a steering wheel rubbing sound when the car was new. If shudder is "normal characteristic of the vehicle" and numerous vehicle have the same shudder problem in steering, I think GM has problem with the design and they should've had a solution for it by now. My 08 CTS has only 21,230 miles and I started noticing the steering wheel abnormality at around 18,500 miles, since then every steering wheel part has been checked, verified and replaced under GM technical support supervision, I took my CTS to the dealer for steering wheel problem 7 times, and it stayed in the shop from 2 to 10 days each visit.

blacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by elo_mcfeelo View Post
    I finally had my car back from the dealer on Friday 10/12/12, after checking and replacing numerous parts again including steering gear, changing the steering fluid, wheel alignment, removed and replaced a new power steering pump...etc. The job was monitored and approved by GM technical support. The shudder is still there (which more like jerking and knocking) when I turn the steering wheel on smooth surface and the car on stand still or low speed and the transmission on Drive or Reverse only, the shutter doesn't happen on Neutral or Park.
    GM Field Engineer went to my dealer and test drove my car for 24 miles and gave it every possible test especially on low speed, stand still, turns on smooth pavement on Drive and Reverse. Here's the final conclusion, according to the Repair Order Invoice:
    "10/11/12 Field Service Engineer examine vehicle, compared to numerous vehicle of same year, all vehicle have the same shudder in steering, symptom is to be considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle. No additional repairs are required."
    Ironically, I never felt any shudder or heard a steering wheel rubbing sound when the car was new. If shudder is "normal characteristic of the vehicle" and numerous vehicle have the same shudder problem in steering, I think GM has problem with the design and they should've had a solution for it by now. My 08 CTS has only 21,230 miles and I started noticing the steering wheel abnormality at around 18,500 miles, since then every steering wheel part has been checked, verified and replaced under GM technical support supervision, I took my CTS to the dealer for steering wheel problem 7 times, and it stayed in the shop from 2 to 10 days each visit.
    ...elo_mcfeelo>>>have you tried disabling your traction control and stabiltrak to see if that has an effect on the shudder? guess my CTS4 is 'abnormal' because it doesn't shudder but then I drive with the nannies off most of the time....you might also, when you turn and it shudders, try stopping and going to reverse for about 10ft. and then forward again>>this might free a binding limited slip or clutches in the transfer case of the AWD system..just a couple thoughts...good luck

----------

Hey elo..scratch my comment on the AWD...my old eyes read AWD for your RWD....sorry 'bout that

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

I thought I would revise this thread. On my 2010 I had a new steering column installed to correct a tilt steering issue in the spring of this year. Now I seem to be developing a rubbing noise in the column that sounds like a metal shaft rubbing against a rubber bushing or bearing. Seems to be more pronounced when the outside temperature is warm/hot and noticable when the vehicle is warmed up and while I'm driving through the parking garage. It doesnt do it when I leave for lunch only when I come back and the engine compartment is hot and I am doing low speed turning in the garage. The fear I have is with fall coming on the dealer will not be able to duplicate it due to the cooler weather. Any suggestions?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    I thought I would revise this thread. On my 2010 I had a new steering column installed to correct a tilt steering issue in the spring of this year. Now I seem to be developing a rubbing noise in the column that sounds like a metal shaft rubbing against a rubber bushing or bearing. Seems to be more pronounced when the outside temperature is warm/hot and noticable when the vehicle is warmed up and while I'm driving through the parking garage. It doesnt do it when I leave for lunch only when I come back and the engine compartment is hot and I am doing low speed turning in the garage. The fear I have is with fall coming on the dealer will not be able to duplicate it due to the cooler weather. Any suggestions?
    Hello blankster,

I am sorry for the rubbing noise in the steering column that you are experiencing. I see your concern due to colder weather approaching. If you are willing to work with a dealer, I would recommend bringing your vehicle into the dealer as soon as you can. If you would like our assistance throughout this process in locating a nearby dealer and setting up an appointment, please let us know. We can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.