09 Vibration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 09 Vibration in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Im a lurker but have yet to post, I have searched the forums and haven't found anything. I have a ...
    matthewsimmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 09 Vibration

Im a lurker but have yet to post, I have searched the forums and haven't found anything.

I have a 09 CTS 3.6SI. I love the car however I have a vibration that I'm not totally sure how to fix. It happens between 42-45mph, and yes its that specific. Once I start to feel it I look down and am guaranteed to be going 42. This probably rules out the unbalanced wheels/tires because I would assume it would get worse as my speed increased not simply go away. I also have been able to rule out the wheels/tires because if I let off the throttle, 8 times out of 10 it will stop. With this little bit of observation it I've decided to must be something with either the driveline/engine.

Have any of you experienced this or read anything about it. I thought possibly there could be a TSB about it but have yet to discover it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Re: 09 Vibration

I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that this type of vibration may come from the drive shaft. Others might remember better....

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Sounds like one of your wheels are out of balance. Getting a vibration at a specific speed that goes away when you go above or below the speed in which the vibration manifests itself is typical of an out of balance wheel.

Go to your local tire shop and have the wheels rebalanced.

Now, if the vibration occurs when you press the brakes, it is usually indicative of a warped rotor.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Go figure lol I was thinking for sure it wasn't an out of balance wheel and I may have been wrong. I'll go to my local shop this week to get the wheels checked out.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Go 43mph, downshift and maintain speed, if the vibration stops/ changes you can rule out tire balance.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Does the vibration happen all the time at that speed, or just first thing in the morning? How long is your commute? The reason I ask is that I will occationally get a vibration in the upper 40's to low 60's first thing in the morning. It goes away after about 7-8 miles. I've had the tires balanced a couple times on different machines and they check out. I've also watched the balance the tires, so I know there is no bent wheel or out of round tire.

What I'm starting to think is that the tires are getting what amounts to a flat spot over night sitting in the garage. I park it with hot tires, they cool overnight and then seem to take a few miles and a little heat to iron out the "flat spots" I use a tire block in the garage and I wonder if that tire does't get the issue the worst since it sits partly on the block at times?

I know mines not brake related because it goes away when on the brakes. It's also not gear dependant because the range is wide enough that it happens over at least 3 gears while comming up ot cruising speed.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewsimmons View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Go figure lol I was thinking for sure it wasn't an out of balance wheel and I may have been wrong. I'll go to my local shop this week to get the wheels checked out.
    Matthew, please feel free to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you have any concerns after going in for service. I see you've already received great DIY advice from the community, and I look forward to your updates!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

sberl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI, 2008 CTS 3.6, 2002 Escalade 6.0

I believe I have the exact same issue. The car pulsates back and forth between 36-40mph, and it's worse when the car is cold. The shifter even moves back and forth. I took it into the dealer and it won't do it when the tech is in the car. However, they assured me it isn't "bad", and told me to go +/- 1 mph.

Here's my old thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-coasting.html

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    Go 43mph, downshift and maintain speed, if the vibration stops/ changes you can rule out tire balance.
    Or throw it in neutral and coast.

Sorry guys long day at work, I'm getting my wheels balanced tomorrow. The reason I was so sure it wasn't the wheels though is that this vibration will go away if I get off the throttle. It's almost like it's a vibration from the engine from being at such low RPMs. I think the car just shifts into 6th around that speed which made believe it could be driveline/engine related.

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    I will try this and see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Does the vibration happen all the time at that speed, or just first thing in the morning? How long is your commute? The reason I ask is that I will occationally get a vibration in the upper 40's to low 60's first thing in the morning. It goes away after about 7-8 miles. I've had the tires balanced a couple times on different machines and they check out. I've also watched the balance the tires, so I know there is no bent wheel or out of round tire.

What I'm starting to think is that the tires are getting what amounts to a flat spot over night sitting in the garage. I park it with hot tires, they cool overnight and then seem to take a few miles and a little heat to iron out the "flat spots" I use a tire block in the garage and I wonder if that tire does't get the issue the worst since it sits partly on the block at times?

I know mines not brake related because it goes away when on the brakes. It's also not gear dependant because the range is wide enough that it happens over at least 3 gears while comming up ot cruising speed.
    To work is about 30 mins. City for 5-10 mins, highway for 15 then city for 5-10min but once I get off the highway I still notice the vibration. So I don't think it's flat spots on the tires. For a split second I thought it could be because currently on the vehicle are Pirelli P Zero Nero's and my previous vehicle had these same tires which were prone to flat spots.

rhigg1959 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

If you look throughout the posts, you'll see that the vibration is a common complaint in both the 2008 and 2009. I call it an acceleration vibration. My dealer tried several updates including the exhaust hanger brackets, dampners between the body and frame and finally a computer update. These updates made it better but mine still has it. The dealer finally gave up and said that's all they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by rhigg1959 View Post
    If you look throughout the posts, you'll see that the vibration is a common complaint in both the 2008 and 2009. I call it an acceleration vibration. My dealer tried several updates including the exhaust hanger brackets, dampners between the body and frame and finally a computer update. These updates made it better but mine still has it. The dealer finally gave up and said that's all they can do.
    Hmm I feel that I might have the same issue. I noticed today that regardless if I downshift the vibration is still there. It's also still there even if I let off the throttle. The only time I noticed it was gone was if I accelerated quickly. If I did that then it was smooth as butter.

I have an appointment Wednesday to get the tires/wheels balanced. I noticed the vehicle had Michelins on the front and Pirellis on the rear which I completely forgot until I was looking over the wheels today before work. Anyway since it has Pirellis on the rear the previous owner must have had a flat tire. Maybe one of the wheels is bent or slightly out of whack.

dklswh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem, dealer did the force balance ($120), then they replaced driveshaft, vibration is still there same speed as yours and only under load.

dklswh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem, dealer did the force balance ($120), then they replaced driveshaft, vibration is still there same speed as yours and only under load. I think it is a problem with the angle of the diff to the driveshaft.

sberl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI, 2008 CTS 3.6, 2002 Escalade 6.0

I've been through a set of tires and still have the same issue. However, I got the car used and the wheels have curb rash (which would slightly throw off the balance), could that be the root my issue?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.