New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello, I just purchased a pre-owned 2008 CTS and noticed that it appears the previous owner has never updated the ...
    met_in_ky@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RWD 3.6L DI

New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)

Hello,

I just purchased a pre-owned 2008 CTS and noticed that it appears the previous owner has never updated the firmware, Navigation and etc. The local dealer doesn't seem to know anymore than I do about it even though I'm brand new to the GM family.

here is my current version:

Application Version: 1.04.0000
    Database Version: 8.63.12.022807.19
    Windows 5.0

This seems to be outdated though I don't really have any complaints I don't want to miss out on any added functionality I may not be aware of. Can anyone offer help as far as what I should update to and what functionality and or glitches would be fixed in doing so? Also, how can I get these updates? I'm not interested in the Nav updates for $200 (that's just ridiculous) because it seems all that gives you is new POI and maybe some additional newly added roads. if I am wrong please let me know. I am somewhat interested in the Gracenotes if it works? How does it work? Does it analyze the song and find it in a database then name the file accordingly? I have 1,000's of MP,s from back in the Napster/Limewire days that aren't tagged.

In short I want to know about radio/firmware updates and/or any other updates I may be unaware of and how to update for free if possible and what the benefits I should expect to see from doing any updates.

Thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)

There is over two tons of information about Nav Disc updates, and pretty much none of it good. The latest 2012 update is "not currently available" from GM/Helm, and that is because it is a fiasco, one of the biggest cluster-funks ever created. Some folks have had their complete navigation system removed with a new one installed courtesy of GM. Do a simple search and you will be horrified.

Re: New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)

Not that I am trying to put a scare into you, I am only trying to make sure your eyes are open if you go the update route. I did it ( a successful update ) and it is an improvement. But I did it after getting a third disc and inserting that one about 80 times (yeah, 80 times!) before I got past the 94% hang-up. A good read and if you read all about it that will keep yo off the streets for a while, lol!

Meanwhile, Welcome Aboard. We are glad to have you with us, met in Kentucky.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you can go to the Global Nav Disc Center and when you plug in your car's info it will show you all the options for discs available

the 2012 disc should say 'out of stock but click here to be notified' and then take you to a form to submit your info so you can be notified

an alternate option would be the 2011 disc ... i wouldn't go that route unless they were selling it cheaper (sometimes they sell the older discs for 25% or 50% off)

aboard
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I did the "click here to be notified" form fill. They never contacted me. Gotta love "Customer No-Service".

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

So far the only user able to load the current 2012 NAVDISC w/o any problems from www.gmnavdisc.com has been one with a config as yours - never updated. But to be on safe side you can order the 2011 update - part number 22790324. You will benefit greatly from updating from your level.
    Your choice - add additional features and map accuracy as well as fix a lot of problems and pay the $200. Or dont update and continue to use an outdated NAV. Add the Gracenotes update for the NAV system and it will recognize more titles - thats about it.
    p.s. at your level I would bet your NAV system fails to recalculate your route when you exit the route for gas, etc.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

met_in_ky, if you'd like me to follow-up on your firmware concerns at any point (or locate alternative dealers in your area), just send me an email. I'm available at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Welcome!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

I'm not interested in Nav updates and as i mentioned I dont seem to have a search button. Thanks for the reply though.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. Are you saying the way to update the radio or firmware is to get a disc? Those are not offered on the gmnav disc site as far as i can tell.

I have been to the site- all I saw were gracenotes and nav updates this is not what I want.

Thanks for the offer- maybe you can answer my questions then? see OP.

Thanks- so based on the info I sent you can confirm that my system has never been updated? I only suspect that it hasn't- I don't know for sure so it would be helpful to know if that is something you can tell from the versions I provided.
    I am not interested in NAV updates at this time unless that is something required to update the others (Radio, Firmware,etc) and since the 2012 disc is out but not in stock it seems silly to buy the 2011 disc. Am I wrong in thinking there are updates for the firmware or radio or anything other than gracenotes and nav? If I'm not, these are the updates im inquiring about.

Thanks everyone---sorry if some of my replies seem short or snappy (i'm multitasking at work)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the only way to get a nav firmware updates are to get the nav map update disc
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Sorry, met_in_ky! I wasn't aware you were replying and was just now alerted to thread updates.

In regards to your Gracenote question in the OP, Gracenote Database allows the radio to record an audio CD to the HDD and store the content using song, artist, album and genre information. Newly released audio CDs as well as some less common audio CDs may not be found in the Gracenote Database stored on the HDD. If these audio CDs contain CD-text, the radio will use the CD-text information when recording the content to the HDD. If an audio CD is not found in the Gracenote Database and it does not have CD-text information, the radio will record the audio CD with all song, artist, album and genre names as “NO INFO”. Hope this is helpful! There is even more detailed Gracenote information in your owners manual, page 3-96.

I'd recommend consulting with a Cadillac dealership for an official diagnosis on the state of your updates; having a technician look at the CTS firsthand would be very beneficial. I realize you've stated your local dealer hasn't answered these questions for you, which is why I'd suggest visiting an alternative Cadillac dealership in your area. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to send me an email!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

thanks again for the reply. So Gracenote rely's on text info already present on the mp3 correct? I didn't know if it used a sample of the audio to capture info a kin to how Shazaam works or not. So basically if i have MP3's with no text data Gracenote will be no help? I'm trying to avoid having 1000's of songs listed as "No Info."

I tried the link you supplied and unfortunetly there are no other dealers near by!

Can you help me with my firmware/Radio updates?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.