New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; no, gracenotes will be used when there is no cd-text for more info on what gracenotes actually is and does ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)

no, gracenotes will be used when there is no cd-text

for more info on what gracenotes actually is and does see the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracenote

normally your computer will just go to the internet and use the current gracenotes database to match up with but in your car you have no internet access so that's what the gracenotes cd is for ... and you can purchase a new database each year

truthfully i don't think that this is very useful (yes it is useful, but not very) as most cd's will have the cd-text and not need to access gracenotes

that, plus who uses cd's still and hasn't converted their discs over to digital already?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

met_in_ky@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RWD 3.6L DI

Re: New here and cant seem to figure out how to search.... (Firmware update 2008 CTS)

Maybe i am using incorrect terminology - Are/were there updates other than navigation related? I know I have read there was an update that fixed an issue of the radio coming on when you start your car. Was this a Nav update, firmware update, radio update...are they all one in the same? I dont think they are.

met_in_ky@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RWD 3.6L DI

My motivation here is correcting MP3's I've downloaded over the years that have no text. If Gracenote doesnt use text than does it work like Shazamm by playing a sample of the song and using audio recognition to match to a database? I get the concept of the need for the disc as there is no internet connection.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yes, that's kind of how it works ... more detail in the wiki article i posted

shazam is on a song by song basis, gracenotes is on an album basis ... you insert a disc and it analyses the disc and determines the disc and pulls the track info down from the database

it's not analyzing the songs individually but the album as a whole
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Frontman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I tried to upgrade my 2008 CTS nav system in 2012 after getting lost in Vancouver, Canada. I got the $200 disc from Helm, and it failed at the 94% mark, just like others reported. I tried it a few more times but it finally locked up the system altogether. I took to the local dealer and to make a long story short, they had to replace the entire head, which would have been around $1800 just for the part if I had to pay for it. But the dealer and Cadillac were cool and took care of it (I bought the car used). Of course, it should not have happened in the first place. The dealer had me order a new replacement disc, which took a few weeks to arrive, then the dealer did the upgrade. It took the entire day...I dropped the car off at around 9 AM, and it finished at 4 PM. But it worked, and as an added bonus, the Sirius XM system, which had never worked, was also repaired. So overall, a happy ending. However, as much as I love this car, and I really do, the sound system sucks! I have the upgraded 10 speaker system, and on some recordings it sounds great, but it is mind-boggling to me that the player doesn't have the features that a cheap MP3 player has, like EQ and Search, Loudness, etc. Also, the USB port is limited to 32 GB drives, and cannot read a 64 gig drive. And the internal hard drive is a joke...40 gigs. but only 9 usable? Really?! I would really like to replace it with a 250Gb solid state drive, but I'm told by the dealer it is not possible to replace the HDD. All these things are very disappointing to me....I don't understand why Cadillac doesn't offer an upgraded music player. After all, it's Windows based, not a big deal to upgrade it...or at least it shouldn't be!

Sorry for the rant!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

You are not alone, Frontman.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.