Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS?

Section 9-50 of the 2011 CTS/CTS-V Owner Manual states the following:

"The [gas] cap is behind a locking fuel
    door on the passenger side of the
    vehicle. The fuel door is locked or
    unlocked every time the driver’s
    door is locked or unlocked with the
    power door locks or the transmitter."

I just discovered that my car does not have this feature. Even when the car is locked up tight, the fuel door can be opened, the gas cap removed, and fuel can be siphoned out of the tank. Indeed, there's no way to lock it other than by buying an after-market locking gas cap, which will cause the "Tighten Gas Cap" message to display constantly if it's not the right type.

I'm pretty sure my 2008 CTS had a locking fuel door, so this seems like a stupid penny-pinching move by GM, especially since it's inconsistent with the manual.

Do others have a locking fuel door? If not, have you found a locking gas cap that works properly on this car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    The owner's manual for my car (2012) says "locking", but does not reference it being tied to the central locking system. I think what they mean by "locking" is that you can't just open the fuel door. You have to push to unlock it and then push it again to secure it, as opposed to the fuel door in my Mustang where you just flip it open by inserting your finger in the opening

I locked my car with the remote and was still able to open the fuel door.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Re: Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS?

My '09 didn't have a locking fuel door. I don't think '08s did either. In fact, I don't think first gen CTSs did. GM has skimped on this feature on many of their cars for the past decade. I always thought it was pathetic the CTS didn't have this feature.

You'd think that at a minimum they could get the manual to be consistent with the car. Oh, well, it is what it is -- I've ordered a Start locking gas cap from J.C. Whitney that's supposed to be for the 2011 CTS.

p.s. -- I'm not a happy camper.

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

My 2008 didn't have a locking fuel door and my 2011 doesn't either. Also not happy about that!!

Seems really, really strange to me that they skipped the lock on the fuel filler door.

Guys, try to keep this all in perspective. A locking fuel door isn't going to keep out someone who wants to get at the fuel. My last three cars were Acuras with locking fuel doors. All it would take is a screwdriver to pry the door open.

I understand that it seems like they cheaper out, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal (to me at least).

I apparently have confused my 2008 CTS with my wife's 1999 C230, which does have a losing fuel door.

But I have to disagree with gohawk63 -- it is a big deal. First, it's supposed to be there according to the manual -- in other words, we arguably paid for a feature that was not on the car.

Second, it is, IMHO, a major deterrent to gas theft. Thieves tend to hit the easy targets, all things being equal (and the regular gas in my CTS is no better than the gas in the car parked next to it). While it's true that a screwdriver could be used to pry open the fuel cover, a small pry bar could be used to open the locked trunk, a hammer could be used to break the windows on the locked doors -- but that would set off the car's alarm. The nonexistent locking fuel door, as described in the manual, is supposed to do the same.

Not a perfect system, but enough to send the thief to the next car. That is a big deal, especially when you're miles from the next gas station.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    You'd think that at a minimum they could get the manual to be consistent with the car.
    I agree...the Manual should be a vehicle owner's Bible, so to speak.

I've owned many vehicles (mostly German, but also Japanese and American) over the years, but I've never before encountered an automaker that year after year has so little regard for the accuracy, or lack thereof, of its Owner's Manual as does GM/Cadillac "the new standard of the world."

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm pretty sure that theres a roll-over valve at the bottom of the filler neck that prevents gas from spilling out if the car is flipped over
    this roll-over valve has a secondary function - it does not allow for a hose inserted into the filler neck to be inserted into the gas tank ... the hose hits the roll-over valve and can't pass it without some extra ingenuity on the part of the would-be gas thief
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    I agree...the Manual should be a vehicle owner's Bible, so to speak.[/I]
    The_Judge et. al, I'm documenting this thread and its URL, but I would also be happy to specifically consult my internal resources about the apparent manual inconsistencies! I can only do so, however, if I have someone's specific VIN who believes their manual does not reflect the gas cap option actually on their vehicle. If you'd like me to investigate for you, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com or direct message me with the last eight of your VIN!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie, I think it's for all vehicles. From what we can tell no CTS has a true locking gas gap, but all of the manuals state that they do.

I do agree with the previous posters that the manual should be consistent with the car. I personally don't think it's a big deal (again for me) that it doesn't lock, and while it's true that a "crowbar can open a trunk and a hammer can break the glass", it's not quite the same thing with the fuel filler door. The locking mechanism is usually pretty flimsy and IMO would not be a deterrent to someone who is going to want to siphon gas out of your car in the middle of the night.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

I believe that the cars built for Export do include locking doors. In fact if you open the door and look at the plastic molding, you will see a spot about ¼ inch in dia on the left. That is where the plunger exits. Also look at the tab on the door, and you will see a hole where the plunger enters to lock the door. Any way for GM to save a buck. That is why it will never be a BMW. No sarcasm intended.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    I believe that the cars built for Export do include locking doors. In fact if you open the door and look at the plastic molding, you will see a spot about ¼ inch in dia on the left. That is where the plunger exits. Also look at the tab on the door, and you will see a hole where the plunger enters to lock the door. Any way for GM to save a buck. That is why it will never be a BMW. No sarcasm intended.
    Unfortunately, I agree. there is still too much culture carryover from the previous GM managers and accountants. However, BMW isn't what it used to be, either. All you have to do is read the Roundel, their BMW Car Club of America magazine (a great magazine, by the way). The owners that comment in the letters page and especially the maintenance/tech tips area, wow, they definitely have their problems. I used to be hot for a Bimmer, but after getting involved with car clubs and being a CCa member for a couple of years I would never buy a new BMW. Their problems are worse than the Caddy problems. That's why I want a Cayman R.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

It does seem odd though that a car of this caliber would not have an internal release for the fuel door. Even my old '88 Park Avenue has that. The trunk release button was placed in a very clever location, I'm sure they could have come up with a similarly clever location for a fuel door release button. The little levers I see in some cars near the seat base just look cheap to me.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Door mount down by the door lock buttons. My A6 Audi has them there and they are both convenient and nice. Nice car, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.