Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by dreiloft You missed the point I was stating. In the 70's there was a gas shortage, people ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    You missed the point I was stating. In the 70's there was a gas shortage, people were stealing gas. That is when they came out with the locking gas cap and then the locking fuel door.

Now all of your accessories are far more valuable than a tank of gas.

The thief's then figured out, that is easier to take the car than a tank of gas.
    1. People were siphoning gas from other peoples' cars long before the gas shortage of the early 1970s -- trust me, I was there.
    2. Stant's website says they have been manufacturing locking gas caps since 1932.
    3. While there may be other things in you car more valuable, a full tank of gas is now worth about $75; it's easy to steal, and the simple fact is that a lot of folks can't afford it yet need it so they can drive around to look for work, to go on a date, or whatever. Without gas, a car is nothing but a very large paperweight or planter.
    4. If you park on the street or in public lots, you're better off with a locking gas cap or locking fuel door than without one.
    5. Very difficult to steal a CTS without the key fob, unless you happen to have a flatbed truck to put it on.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

all of that aside, we see spikes in the sales of locking gas caps when the price of gas goes up towards $4/gal (it's currently around $3.30 here)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

Boy I can't wait to hear the discussion when GM if not already goes to the Ford design - no cap. I know some cars and the F150 don't have caps. To me to have a locking cap/door is a non issue.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

Quote Originally Posted by rspreng View Post
    Boy I can't wait to hear the discussion when GM if not already goes to the Ford design - no cap. I know some cars and the F150 don't have caps. To me to have a locking cap/door is a non issue.
    The 2013 XTS has "capless" fuel filler--I have not examined it yet, but it's being adopted by more and more manufacturers as I read the Auto magazines!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rspreng
    Agree

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    OMG, Stant's who have been manufacturing locking gas caps since 1932, could go out of business.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

My Charger has a capless fuel filler as well. For the record, it does have a locking fuel door

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by rspreng View Post
    Had the capless on my Explorer and it's a great system. You can't just open the metal flap by sticking a screwdriver or finger in there. It's designed to only open for gas nozzles or a special funnel included with the car. There are little triggers around the perimeter of the hole. You need something with the diameter of a gas nozzle to hit all these triggers in order for the metal flap to open.

If someone wants to dump something in your tank, they're going to have to know this ahead of time, go to Ford, and buy the funnel.

Cap-less fuel tanks with the built-in closures/anti-theft device are a great idea, and I'm glad Caddy is adopting it (it's on the new XTS, I understand). Still, I imagine there are ways to siphon gas out of a cap-less tank -- punch a hole in the flaps with a large screwdriver, or punch a hole in the tank itself and drain the gas into a tub, etc.

Nothing will stop a determined thief -- the purpose of the locking fuel door, a locking gas cap, or a cap-less system is not to make theft impossible but, as the cops often say, to dissuade the casual thief. Same with the burglar alarms on your car or house -- the hope is that the bad guy will pass you by for an easier target.

One other purpose of a gas cap is to prevent spillage in an accident, which could cause a fire. I have to assume that the cap-less systems are designed to do that, too.

Received my Stant No. 10511 locking fuel cap today. Works great, designed to fit the 2010, 2011, and 2012 CTS.

Yes, I know, I know -- a determined thief with a claw hammer or large screwdriver or a crowbar could pop it off and steal my gas. It ain't foolproof, but it should be enough to dissuade the casual thief (and trust me, the Mexican Mafia isn't teaching guys in prison how to siphon gasoline).

Well worth the small cost for the peace of mind ($18.65 plus tax and shipping from J.C. Whitney, probably cheaper elsewhere).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Received my Stant No. 10511 locking fuel cap today. Works great, designed to fit the 2010, 2011, and 2012 CTS.

Yes, I know, I know -- a determined thief with a claw hammer or large screwdriver or a crowbar could pop it off and steal my gas. It ain't foolproof, but it should be enough to dissuade the casual thief (and trust me, the Mexican Mafia isn't teaching guys in prison how to siphon gasoline).

Well worth the small cost for the peace of mind ($18.65 plus tax and shipping from J.C. Whitney, probably cheaper elsewhere).
    Let us know how it holds up. I was going to buy one but was deterred by the problems people reported online. Apparently the flap breaks easily and gets stuck open quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Let us know how it holds up. I was going to buy one but was deterred by the problems people reported online. Apparently the flap breaks easily and gets stuck open quite often.
    Not sure what those on-line reviewers may be talking about. It does NOT have a "flap." Rather, it looks pretty much like the OEM cap, but without the teether and with a keyhole. You tighten it like the regular cap by turning it counterclockwise; to loosen it, you need to insert the key, give the key a 1/4 turn, then twist the cap clockwise. Simple. Flapless.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Not sure what those on-line reviewers may be talking about. It does NOT have a "flap." Rather, it looks pretty much like the OEM cap, but without the teether and with a keyhole. You tighten it like the regular cap by turning it counterclockwise; to loosen it, you need to insert the key, give the key a 1/4 turn, then twist the cap clockwise. Simple. Flapless.
    Sorry I mis-read your post. I thought you bought the capless style.

chrisfox75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Black Raven/Polished/Ultra-View/Sapele

Ok i wanted to update this thread and let everyone know i will be going to my local dealer tomorrow about this modification.

They had already called GM parts and told me the parts are available to add to a non-exported model of our vehicles.

I have a 2011 V Sedan.

Objective for my visit to the dealer

1. Verify that my car does indeed have the wiring harness inside the vehicle to plug in the actuator for the locking part of the fuel door lock to function

2. Find out from the dealer if we need some special kind of programming for the actuator to work after it is plugged in.

3. Order the parts and have them install them and test functionality.

I am not sure if the plug is there for the actuator, i am also not sure if the actuator will function if the plug is there
    and just plugged in, maybe it requires some sort of BCM programming. All options are different and the dealer found
    the option code for this exported option, the problem he had so far was when calling the main gm parts distribution
    center is that nobody knew if it needed programmed in the car or not, so i am going to take my chances and if the
    plug is indeed there, i will order the actuator and have it plugged in and see if it works with the power door locks which
    is how the option was supposed to function from what they are telling me.

Wish me luck, i will post an update on this after i get home from the dealer tomorrow and let everyone know the parts
    i had to order if this can be tested.

Chris

chrisfox75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Black Raven/Polished/Ultra-View/Sapele

Update on this

My car does NOT have the proper wiring harness nor the plug for the actuator to lock the fuel door, so i guess with this it can be
    put to bed in my case, mine is a 2011, not sure if it was stopped a certain time or just the exports got the plug in the harness, the only
    way to find out sure would be to have an export model owner chime in and check it out..

Sorry guys, we are SOL for this, at least i am....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.