Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by gohawks63 ...The locking mechanism is usually pretty flimsy and IMO would not be a deterrent to someone ...
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Locking Fuel Door on 2011 CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    ...The locking mechanism is usually pretty flimsy and IMO would not be a deterrent to someone who is going to want to siphon gas out of your car in the middle of the night.
    Not true on my wife's 1999 C230. The fuel door is locked by a 1/8" thick stainless steel rod that goes through two layers of heavy sheet metal with a layer of sheet metal welded to the fuel door between those two layers, and the hinges on the door itself are quite substantial. It would take a great deal of strength to break off the fuel door when locked, and I believe doing so would set off the car's alarm.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

from the parts catalog I can see a lock actuator for the fuel filler door and RPO N08 is associated with it

that tells me that it is not standard on all CTS's
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Aren't all parts listed in the catalog? If I needed a new cam or piston, for example, wouldn't those parts be in the catalog? Just curious....

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge

Not true on my wife's 1999 C230. The fuel door is locked by a 1/8" thick stainless steel rod that goes through two layers of heavy sheet metal with a layer of sheet metal welded to the fuel door between those two layers, and the hinges on the door itself are quite substantial. It would take a great deal of strength to break off the fuel door when locked, and I believe doing so would set off the car's alarm.
    Well that is the exception to my experience. The fuel filler doors on my wife's Land Cruiser and my last three Acuras were not as substantial.

As for setting off the alarm, unless the car is equipped with a shock sensor, or there is a sensor in the fuel door that tells the body control computer that the door is open (similar to the hood and trunk), prying open the fuel filler door will not set off the alarm, no matter how sturdy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Aren't all parts listed in the catalog? If I needed a new cam or piston, for example, wouldn't those parts be in the catalog? Just curious....
    i think you're missing my point

yes all parts are listed in the catalog but the fact that this fuel door lock actuator (really the whole locking mechanism) has an RPO code associated with it which means it's not standard on all CTS models (only those with that RPO code)

the owner's manual should say something like 'on vehicles equipped with the locking fuel door' but apparently it doesn't which has caused the confusion
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

What package came with that RPO code? I looked at my build sticker and N08 is not listed so I don't have it. Mine is a performance package, maybe it was premium only? Maybe it was a separate option or some sort of security package?

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept

i think you're missing my point

yes all parts are listed in the catalog but the fact that this fuel door lock actuator (really the whole locking mechanism) has an RPO code associated with it which means it's not standard on all CTS models (only those with that RPO code)

the owner's manual should say something like 'on vehicles equipped with the locking fuel door' but apparently it doesn't which has caused the confusion
    The other question is which models come with the locking mechanism? I have the Premium trim level and it's not available. The only other step up is the V, and I don't think it's available on that model either.

Seanjohngap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Second Gen CTS DI
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Door mount down by the door lock buttons. My A6 Audi has them there and they are both convenient and nice. Nice car, too.
    And............

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I responded to this post immediately before mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    It does seem odd though that a car of this caliber would not have an internal release for the fuel door. Even my old '88 Park Avenue has that. The trunk release button was placed in a very clever location, I'm sure they could have come up with a similarly clever location for a fuel door release button. The little levers I see in some cars near the seat base just look cheap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    What package came with that RPO code? I looked at my build sticker and N08 is not listed so I don't have it. Mine is a performance package, maybe it was premium only? Maybe it was a separate option or some sort of security package?
    My 2011 CTS is a Premium Collection version -- no lock on the fuel door.

it possibly does not come with any package but is a stand-alone option

there is no way for me to look up this kind of thing (like what options come with what packages etc)

maybe it's an export option (as mentioned earlier) ... maybe it is/was a planned option that was never really available (sort of like the diff cooler for the Vs)

I really doubt that it's a special option -- too small, too obscure. And it's not listed among the "build it yourself" options on the Caddy website.

more evidence that it's either not a US option or an option that was never brought to market

hopefully katie can get a good answer for us here

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

If the parts are available, would that mean it could be added?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.