Need help searching for my next car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Need help searching for my next car in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, I'm 90% sure I'd like to buy a used '08 or '09 CTS. I'd love to get a ...
    Frankiago is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Need help searching for my next car

Hello all,

I'm 90% sure I'd like to buy a used '08 or '09 CTS. I'd love to get a CTS-V, but maybe not at this point in time. I'm growing tired of the tuner scene, here's my current car:

It's the blue one in the very front. Extremely fun track toy, but that's an EXPENSIVE hobby. I'm going to start parting it out and sell it in stock form, sell my other car as well, and buy a CTS. That leads me to my questions regarding what to shop for...

Is my perfect CTS even available?
    1. Black on black
    2. Navi
    3. Sunroof
    4. Fog lights
    5. Wood trim
    6. 3.6L DI
    7. Automatic transmission
    8. AWD

If I were to buy this car brand new, I could obviously pick and choose, but does this list seem to narrow my search down to near-impossible? These forums mention a lot of '08/'09 problems and bugs that were slowly worked out as production went on, is this enough to warrant eliminating the '08 from my search?

Lastly, what the heck is a CTS4? Google is giving me nothing here. I've seen the CTS badged as a CTS and I've seen it badged CTS4. The only thing I notice when I see CTS4 is that it is extremely visually appealing, what is the 4???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: Need help searching for my next car

CTS4 is AWD.

...duh

I can't brain today, I has the dumb.

Thanks for the quick reply lmao.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    People will tell you to stay away from an 08 because of all the problems. I have an 08 and haven't had many issues. Some yes, typical for any car.
    I say stay away from an 08 because most will be out of warranty.
    Get an 09 or better yet a 09 cpo. You'll have some piece of mind that any quirks that you find will be fixed free. The items you want with the car should not be too hard to find, but that also depends where you live. In nj or northeastern part of the country should be a breeze. Good luck!

Thanks, Pdabs, for a quick reply. I'm in Chicago. As for typical issues of any car, I have had absolutely no problems with my '08 Lancer Evolution, and it has seen a ton of abuse at roughly 150hp over stock

It has really been rock solid and, similarly, is the first model year. That makes me think problems are isolated and you only hear the bad news while thousands enjoy their '08 CTS' without a problem. Good input on getting an '09 CPO, I'll take that into consideration. Can't wait to be back in a luxury car (Infiniti FX35 AWD just before the Evo).

I've really gotta get out there and test drive a few. Thanks again!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Check out the Caddy website. You can search for used vehicles in your area.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

I also have an '08 and have had minimal issues. The few that I have had were small and corrected promptly by the dealer. So as has been said above, experiences with '08s vary. But I second the recommendation to try for an '09 just to have more warranty left if issues do crop up.

Your ideally configured CTS4 should indeed exist out there, most likely in loaded Premium trim. Personally I believe that if you're going used, buy a loaded car since you're saving on the depreciation. And the Premium trim is indeed loaded. The AWD requirement narrows the size of the pool, depending on where you're located (should be more AWDs in snowy states).

Have you driven a CTS yet? It will be a huge change from your Evo, but sounds like that's what you're looking for. Even with the Performance package (which is included in the Premium package), the CTS doesn't come close to the go-kart like ride and handling of the Evo. The V with the stiff performance FE3 suspension would probably come closest. A BMW or Infiniti G37 would most likely provide a sportier experience.

That said, I was in high school in San Diego during the peak of the Fast & Furious/tuner/rice rocket/Hot Import Nights days. All of my friends had Integras, Civic Si's, Evos, WRXs, etc. It was fun but I understand how that scene can get old. The CTS is a much more comfortable, mature car that is a huge step up in terms of status and luxury.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

I've seen way too many comments about the 08 to recommend that model year. Many complain about the 09s as well but not quite as much. Not sure what your budget is, but after I saw your post, I went to Autotrader to look for a black CTS-V and they are listed for between 44K and 50K, and that was for 09 and 10 models. I only searched up to 500 miles from my Florida location so there are surely others out there.

Yeah the CTS-V would absolutely come close. I saw the V in the Chicago Auto Show in 2009 I believe, maybe 2010, and I was in love. I was also slightly jealous because in 2008, the Evolution X's debut, it was the fastest sedan in the world. When the V was around in 2009, it claimed the title. As many of you may know, that title was short-lived when the Porsche Panamera Turbo came around a year later to claim the title with their first four-door car (hatch, not quite sedan, but close enough to take the title).

I will probably miss the go-kart feel and the pull of 400hp and the sound of the spooling turbo. I realize this and I'm ok with it lol. I get 18/24mpg with the Evo when avoiding boost, but it's too addicting and I end up averaging about 20mpg on premium fuel

The exhaust noise is really bothering me and I'm not willing to drive the car in stock form. I might as well have something else if I'm going to neuter my race car.

I found the exact car described only 45 minutes away, it's a 2010 and a little above the budget I set for myself, but I'm going to keep it in mind regardless. Time to put the Evo back to stock as this is becoming more and more what I'm wanting to move towards. The status you refer to might actually be detrimental. This is a status appeal that comes with a stereotype of age. I typically don't care what people think so it's a moot point, but you have to admit, the CTS is somewhat regarded as an old man's car :P

I'm 27 and look like I'm 21, but as I'm likely to brush such things off and not care, I don't think that'll be a big deal.

Time to go test drive!

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    I've seen way too many comments about the 08 to recommend that model year. Many complain about the 09s as well but not quite as much. Not sure what your budget is, but after I saw your post, I went to Autotrader to look for a black CTS-V and they are listed for between 44K and 50K, and that was for 09 and 10 models. I only searched up to 500 miles from my Florida location so there are surely others out there.
    Not looking into any CTS-V's. CTS4, black on black, wood, navi, fog lights, sunroof. There's a 2010 for $26.5k not far from me that I'll look at and see if my "ideal" is actually what I want, or if I can do without certain things. Thanks for the input.

arw1510 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiago View Post
    Hello all,

Is my perfect CTS even available?
    1. Black on black
    2. Navi
    3. Sunroof
    4. Fog lights
    5. Wood trim
    6. 3.6L DI
    7. Automatic transmission
    8. AWD

If I were to buy this car brand new, I could obviously pick and choose, but does this list seem to narrow my search down to near-impossible?
    Sounds like the CTS I just got, and I got the 19in wheel package with the FE3 suspension and the paddle shifters also. Sticker price was 52k, and the dealer had 4 of them, 2 with a spare, 2 without a spare. 3 black one white. This care is basically fully loaded without the "touring package" Mine was a 2012, idk if your looking for used or new. This is my 3rd cadillac, 2nd CTS, never any major problems. I got it in february and it already has 11k miles on it and only a trip to the dealer for an oil change.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiago View Post
    The status you refer to might actually be detrimental. This is a status appeal that comes with a stereotype of age. I typically don't care what people think so it's a moot point, but you have to admit, the CTS is somewhat regarded as an old man's car :P

I'm 27 and look like I'm 21, but as I'm likely to brush such things off and not care, I don't think that'll be a big deal.

Time to go test drive!
    I hear what you're saying. I'm 28 and roughly look my age. I bought the CTS because I like Caddies and fell in love with the styling of the current-gen CTS. I don't really care what the general public thinks -- if I did, I would have automatically bought a Bimmer or Audi like everyone does around here in Los Angeles. I have to say the perception of Cadillac as a brand does seem to be changing; I've seen numerous younger people driving Caddies over the past few years, especially the CTS coupe, Escalade, and SRX. Buick also seems to be changing their stereotype. It's all about the product. Many German-driving peers have been quite impressed with the CTS, so I think perceptions really are changing.

Funny comparison in that Evos have a stereotype of their own -- regarded as a "boy racer" car for guys aged 16-28ish. There's a guy at my gym who's in his late 40s with a MS3 and I do have to say it doesn't look like an age-appropriate vehicle for him. But whatever. So from a boy racer car to an old man car haha. Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you'll love your CTS.

Hah awesome. I always call my car a ricer, even though it's track-oriented and I don't race street light to street light.

I live my life one quarter tank at a time... For those 30 minutes or less, I'm free.

Regarding a new or used purchase... I'm done buying new. It has its perks for sure, my Evo has been dead reliable and I know exactly how it's been maintained. There are no dings anywhere, the paint is in great shape, the list goes on and on... but I don't want to foot the depreciation bill again. Luckily, buying a used CTS and buying a used Evo are nothing alike as the CTS has likely never seen a race track lol.

This move will surely surprise my friends and family, but there was only one car that came to mind when thinking of ditching the Evo, and that was the CTS-V. That's not practical at the moment and I'd rather stop spending $50-100 a week in gas, so the beautiful CTS4 ('09 or possibly '10) will be my next car.

Also thanks for dispelling the myth that an '08 is a worthless, unreliable heap.

jacobchav08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac cts 4
    Bro I just bought a 09 caddy cts4 and u won't regret it !!! The only thing I'm doing to
    It right now is fixing the timing chain because the precious owner didn't :/ but it's an amazing car and gets a load of looks as a bad ass aggressive car .. But don't think ur going to be smashing on the pedal like ur evo ... Different ball game sir lol

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Get the V !!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.