Letter from GM re: 2008 Timing Chain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Letter from GM re: 2008 Timing Chain in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just received a letter from GM saying that reprogramming the ECM may not have resolved the timing chain issues. ...
    ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Letter from GM re: 2008 Timing Chain

I just received a letter from GM saying that reprogramming the ECM may not have resolved the timing chain issues. The letter says they're extending the warranty on the timing chain of 2008's to 10 years or 193000 kms from the on-road date (I'm in Canada).

I don't have the 2008 anymore but this would definitely give me more peace-of-mind if I still had it!! Nicely done GM. Odds are 2009 owners will be receiving a similar letter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: Letter from GM re: 2008 Timing Chain

That works out to just under 120K miles. For my CPO car, that's an increase of less than 20k miles. But, it's better than nothing.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Wow! So it means we were right from the begining. GM just bandaid the problem by reprograming the ECU. Let's hope we in USA get the extended warranty as well....

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah, GM did this for the 2007's already ... 2008's were added to the 'special coverage' recently
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Well, better late (after many owners bought GMPP) than never.

Warranty extension may sidestep a massive class-action lawsuit, but it still stinks that OLS oil change intervals were (permanently?) reduced by 50% or more for many affected vehicles.

In my opinion the original programming on the OLS was way out of wack anyway. Even if the engine consumed no oil and the oil could actually survive for 10000 to 15000 miles, the oil filter need to be changed far more frequently. I still change the oil every 5000 miles with good synthetics and every 3000 on the dino remains in all my vehicles. It's just cheap insurance in my mind and the risk is far greater than the reward on long interval changes.

GM has built more than 20 million vehicles to date with its OLS, thoroughly tested and proven reliable many years ago according to GM.

So I conclude that 2007-2009 HFV6 timing chain/lube problem is just that - not an OLS problem per se. As MoFex said above, OLS reprogram was a band-aid [that apparently failed to fully compensate for defective engine design].

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

928S

I agree. I do not believe it is OLM problem. I never dropped below 40% and never ran low on oil. Still had to change timing chains after 40k miles or so. I also do not believe the stretch was so bad. Anyway, there was a problem and we know it. I am planning on changin oil every 5k miles or so anyway and get rid of the CTS before it hits 100k miles....next car? No idea, at least for now...

TX_09CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Is this just on the 3.6 DI?

I wasn't trying to imply that the chain didn't or doesn't have a design issue. Only that the OLS recalibration was probably a good thing because I would never want to stretch an oil change interval as far it would lead people to believe was OK. An engine may exceed the miles the typical original owner would keep a car (and beyond the warranty) before it blows up at the long change intervals, but no one will ever convince me that long interval changes will allow an engine to last as long as a shorter interval changes.

My car has the re-cal, but 5000 miles comes at about 50% remaining on the OLS. I would never let it go 10000 miles on one oil filter, never mind Mobile 1.

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TX_09CTS View Post
    Is this just on the 3.6 DI?
    Dunno TX! Mine was DI and I don't think the non-DI had the timing chain issues so the extra coverage might just apply to the DI motor.

Last year's timing chain TSB recall included all 2007-2009 HFV6 engines, both 3.6L PFI and 3.6L DI.
    So it's only reasonable to expect that all will eventually be included in extended warranty coverage.

AJC165 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI. everything but nav.current mileage 11800 km.

i recieved my letter yesterday for my 2009 3.6 DI

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

That reprogram was crap, they lower your top speed to 140.

2laidback is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe V6 DI Performance Collection

I'm confused on this issue. Did GM make any engine changes to remedy the above mentioned problems after the 2008. or is the "Premium Care Maintenance" being offered as the solution to the problem? Is the 2012 Direct Injection also part of the problem?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.