The steering saga continues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm going to try to keep from ranting as I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who has had ...
    ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

The steering saga continues

I'm going to try to keep from ranting as I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who has had these issues before, but I'm about at my wit's end. As most of you who have read my posts over the past 7 or so months know, I've had steering issues with mine that cannot seem to be resolved. To sum them up, the first is a "skipping/binding/shudder/wheel-hop, etc." feeling whenever making slow speed turns. It's almost as if the steering is disconnected for a moment. A prime example is driving through a parking lot such as the one at your local mall, or going around a cul-de-sac such as in your neighborhood, or ever backing out of my driveway, then cutting the wheel to move forward down the road. The feeling can be felt both through the wheel and the shift lever. Additionally, if I am backing up at a slow speeds on a slight incline and cutting the feel, I also get this. Sometimes it almost feels like the trans is slipping. So, that is issue one. I've been told by the dealer that it is (a.) normal for AWD,(b.) unable to duplicate, (c.) steering gear replaced, (d.) rear diff fluid replaced per TSB, and (e.) the traction control is kicking in because one wheel is turning at a different speed when I'm making sharp turns and this is what I'm feeling. The SECOND issue I have is when making sharp turns, again a cul-de-sac is the most common place it does this. When making a sharp turn, almost to a lock, there is a crunching or rubbing noise that comes directly from the front end, pretty much directly in front of me. To make a long story short, after my last failed attempt to get the issues resolved, I called the dealer back as they asked me to let them know if I could not mark completely satisfied on the survey. When I brought it back in, the service manager went for a drive with me and I was able to duplicate the noise with him. They replaced the right front lower control arm, said the old one was rusty and the bushing was worn. So....today the car is ready and I pick it up this afternoon. Tonight I'm out and I decide to try the sharp curve where I was able to duplicate the noise with the service manager and guess what, it still does it! Nothing has changed. Oh, and I turned the traction control off to see if this would cure the other issue as well. Which of course it did not. I really appreciate the service manager taking a ride with me and the staff at the dealer has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved, but I'm not sure where to go with this now. I really want these issues fixed. I feel like I have to provide a detailed explanation of the issues each time I take it in(the service advisor remarked I always bring a very detailed note) and I don't know what else to tell them to get these issues fixed. To those of you with AWD CTSs, do your cars exhibit the same feeling mine does in slow speed turns? Any other tips or "symptoms" I can tell them? Sorry for the long post, I'm just really frustrated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    I have a 2012 AWD Coupe and my car doesn't exhibit any of those symptoms.

To go further, my son was recently practicing parallel parking with my car which resulted in many situations with the wheel at full lock while going forward and reverse, and no noise or clunking.....yet.

I say YET, because my car only has 3,600 miles on it.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Re: The steering saga continues

I don't have anything like that on my DI AWD 2009 ... what size rims and are they OEM tires?

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    My 2011 coupe AWD steering has been trouble free for 13000 km

Wheels are the 18" style that came with the performance and premium collection and tires are 235/50 R18. I did switch from the Pilot HXs to Pilot Sport A/Ss but that did not change the above condition as it did it with the OEM tires as well.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

That shudder sensation sounds like the differential is not releasing the slower inner tire during the turn. I owned a couple of vehicles over the years that required a special gear lube and additive and without it the vehicle exhibited those same sensations. That's a tough one given the fact the dealer has changed many items that could cause that problem. Sometimes it's necessary to go back over what was done and make sure it was done correctly. I think a second opinion from a different dealer may be in order. My experience is, dealers are only as good as "the guy with the tools in his hand". Service managers simply take the problem to the tech. I feel they are great at selling you something you don't need like a "brake line flush" what a f...... joke that is. But they sell these jobs to people that don't know any better. You need a "super tech" that really knows his shit. I guarantee when you find this person your problem will be solved. I would go to a couple of auto parts stores and "talk it up" . They will send you to the really good techs, possibly someone who started there own business. Best of luck

Joe

Thanks for that info Joe! One question, do you think the front diff needs it's fluid changed. There was a TSB about changing the fluid in the rear axle, but with mine being AWD, I'm wondering if the front should be done too. The TSB just mentions the rear. I plan to call the dealer tomorrow and set up yet another appointment. I'd love to try a different dealer, but they are the only Cadillac dealer in town. I'm less than 2K from my bumper to bumper expiring and I have a trip coming up next weekend that will put another 1K on the car. I'm almost tempted to drive my old car and save the miles on my warranty until I get these issues fixed!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

ctsfan2009, I'm extremely sorry to read that your steering concerns have continued. I understand how you feel; multiple trips (and multiple concern explanations!) to the dealership can be very inconvenient. I'm glad that you're considering going back to your dealership after consulting with the community, and please don't hesitate to send me a private message anytime if you'd like me to investigate further.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I have the same low speed shudder on my new 2012 RWD Performance sedan. It happens when parking or turning at very low speeds. It almost feels like the serpentine belt slips. I'll see what the dealer says when I take it in for some warranty work.

>>>I have the same low speed shudder on my new 2012 RWD Performance sedan. It happens when parking or turning at very low speeds. It almost feels like the serpentine belt slips. I'll see what the dealer says when I take it in for some warranty work. <<<

Yes! That's another way you could describe my issue. Also does it when backing up at low speeds and cutting the wheel slightly. Hopefully your dealer won't tell you it's normal and that it's the Traction control kicking in(when the brakes aren't even being applied).

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

If it's doing weird things when you cut didos in a cul-de-sac then don't do it. If you drive it down the road like everybody else it'll be just fine.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

CTSfan, I have a 2011 and have all the same issues, skipping or hopping in the rear when applying a little extra gas when starting from a stop and accelerating and turning. Next clunking in the front end when backing up
    and turning the wheel. It's a joke. I get a tech bullitan handed to me saying it's normal. I have the 19" summer pkg with polished wheels, continenal tires. But I've decided that there is nothing to do that will fit it. Cadillac just doesn't care about their customers. PERIOD. And I'm a customer with TWO CADDYs a 2012 SRX and my 2011 CTS coupe. They just don't care. I traded a MB for this aggrevation. Big mistake. Lets see if Cadillac Customer Care reads this and contacts me. See if they care.

rtrocchia, is yours RWD or AWD? I did go back to the dealer and they have ordered me a lower control arm for the left side(right side was replaced on the last visit). The service manager rode with me again and he is condident that is what is causing the crunching or metallic "clank" that can be heard in the front end when making sharp turns(second issue I listed). We'll see. I will give them credit, the dealer staff really seems to be trying to get this fixed and have expressed that to me. I just wonder if their techs are going to be able to do it based on past experience. Hate to hear of your problems, hopefully you can get them resolved soon and enjoy your car.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Mine is a 2011 Premium bought in large Cadillac dealer in central NJ and its RWD. Even bought extended warranty to 100K miles. Summer tire pkg, Nav, the whole 9 yards. ALWAYS a Clank when backing up and cutting the wheel. So scared the heck out of me more than once. Dealer gave up after two visits and stapled a technical notice to my service order that this clank was a condition of the car
    with the summer pkg and 19" wheels. I took the tech out in it, they felt it, heard it, said it was not normal and service mgr said it was not something fixable. Still does it all the time, feels like something is breaking every time it happens. The back end tires jump when making a turn anything over 10 mph. I was told it's normal for car that's light in the rear like the CTS coupe by the tech. I want Cadillac Customer Service to get involved. They haven't so far. Are you listening Cadillac Customer Service? AGAIN ARE YOU LISTENING CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE????

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I remember your non helpfull replies from the STS forum and now you want to do the same on the CTS forum. We are complaining about simple turns at slow speed in parking lots and driveways. Sorry but I'm replying to Dozlousky.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.