The steering saga continues - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; It may or may not be a real "problem" or anything broken,,,,, but its really annoying for an expensive car ...
    dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Re: The steering saga continues

It may or may not be a real "problem" or anything broken,,,,, but its really annoying for an expensive car to do! Nearly everyone that has been in my car when this happens reacts to it. I can't believe that the Director of Engineering at GM or a senior executive would drive a car that does this and say it's okay.

I just had an ATS4 as a loaner and it did all these locked steering moves without a hiccup.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Audi Quattro is still the best on the road. Not a hint of a problem over 70,000 miles on my 2006 A6. Been a good car. I would definitely consider another if the only dealer in Jacksonville were on my side of town instead of BuFu. Certainly glad I didn't get awd on my CTS. These problems should not occur whatever this automobile costs.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Audis have the same problem

But agreed they should not do it and if some don't then there must be a way to duplicate smooth operation.

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Got mine back from dealership last night. They replaced the timing chains (P0008) issue. They also acknowledged that the issue with the steering exists. They started by changing the transfer case fluid. Said it may take a 100 miles or so for the new fluid to work its way in. At least the dealer didnt tell me my tires were bad or I had worn suspension parts. I havent driven it yet. Will report back when I drive it. I still have to disagree with folks here saying that there is nothing wrong. The vehicle did not have this issue when I bought it. Obviously something has changed to cause the steering problems. Whether it is wear, old fluids, or an electrical component that is out of tolerance...something has changed to cause this. GM needs to figure it out and make it right for those that have this problem. NO ONE would have bought this car with the steering like this and if you need to sell your car you will have a hard time as NO ONE will buy it with this problem.

Keep in mind the steering is fine and has NO problem, the center clutch is causing what you feel in the steering.

Report back on the outcome, maybe as the oil ages it does not slip as well and will cause the tight center clutch.

I believe they put an additive in the rear diff oil. Wonder if they do that to the center t-case too?

The friction modifier is to keep the clutches happy, it very may work to stop the "chatter" if you will in the center.

Slick 50, baby! (do they still have that stuff?)

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Ok so I've had the opportunity to drive the CTS4 a few times. As far as I can tell, the issue is fixed. The work order from the dealership said that the transfer case fluid was discolored and had a burnt smell to it. They replaced the fluid and it drives like new. No charge for the service.....nice job.

So it may have lost its "slip", I will try this on the weekend and find out if it works for me as well.

bobseil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by kjr6306 View Post
    Ok so I've had the opportunity to drive the CTS4 a few times. As far as I can tell, the issue is fixed. The work order from the dealership said that the transfer case fluid was discolored and had a burnt smell to it. They replaced the fluid and it drives like new. No charge for the service.....nice job.
    Thank you kjr6306 and conedoctor for sharing your experience with this problem. I had this problem and was about to give up until kjr6306 mentioned having the transfer case fluid replaced. I saw that the scheduled replacement was at 100,000 miles but a website suggested changing it at 30,000 miles. Well, I am pleased to report that I just had mine replaced on my 2009 CRT4 and, as with kjr6306, the problem went away. No more shutter. I did not go back to the dealer as I have lost confidence in them. I took it to a mechanic that used to be the dealer's head mechanic but started his own shop. Less then $100. So thanks again. I hope that the technicians who monitor this site can arrange for a bulletin that covers this problem.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bobseil View Post
    Thank you kjr6306 and conedoctor for sharing your experience with this problem. I had this problem and was about to give up until kjr6306 mentioned having the transfer case fluid replaced. I saw that the scheduled replacement was at 100,000 miles but a website suggested changing it at 30,000 miles. Well, I am pleased to report that I just had mine replaced on my 2009 CRT4 and, as with kjr6306, the problem went away. No more shutter. I did not go back to the dealer as I have lost confidence in them. I took it to a mechanic that used to be the dealer's head mechanic but started his own shop. Less then $100. So thanks again. I hope that the technicians who monitor this site can arrange for a bulletin that covers this problem.
    Oops, should have read CTS4 rather than CRT4. Also wanted to mention that I have 31,000 miles on this 2009 CTS4 and most of the driving is around down in and out of parking spaces.

caddynut1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven black 2012 CTS4 3.0 sedan

Hi Laura,

Had my center diff oil changed and problem is gone.

Thanks
    Michael

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by caddynut1 View Post
    Hi Laura,

Had my center diff oil changed and problem is gone.

Thanks
    Michael
    Hello Michael,

That’s great news! I am glad to hear that the problem has been resolved after changing the center differential oil! Please don’t hesitate to let Laura or myself know if you experience the concern again.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.