The steering saga continues - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have talked through PM with the GM engineer and as far as I'm concerned the shudder is normal and ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: The steering saga continues

I have talked through PM with the GM engineer and as far as I'm concerned the shudder is normal and I am not worrying about it, there is not a problem to fix. Cars vary and some have shudder and some don't, if each engine was dyno tested I bet people would want warranty because theirs made 5 HP less than the next guys.

Yes it is a Cadillac but it is a machine first and they differ.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor
    I have talked through PM with the GM engineer and as far as I'm concerned the shudder is normal and I am not worrying about it, there is not a problem to fix. Cars vary and some have shudder and some don't, if each engine was dyno tested I bet people would want warranty because theirs made 5 HP less than the next guys. Yes it is a Cadillac but it is a machine first and they differ.
    You must be kidding! Yes it is a machine but there should be no shudder! It is the easiest way out: there is not problem hence we do not have to work on a solution! It was designed that way. This is the normal BS we are fed by arrogant ignorants!

Both GM and dealers should fix the issue. It is another example of Cadillac neglecting their customers. Seems like "good old GM" is coming back......sad...

Hey now, I got it explained to me how it worked so I understand what is happening and why, I will check the center clutch when I get time but I am not going to devote tons of time to fix a problem that is not a problem, more of a "this could be better"

I am neither arrogant or ignorant, do you understand the system and how it works and why or just don't care?

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    I did not say you are arrogant or ignorant. I was referring to dealers and GM. Sorry if I offended you.

No worries.

Maybe it is because I bought my car cheap for the winter so I don't have the sting of paying top dollar for a car that has the shudder, it is annoying but not damaging, I can see if I bought it new how I would want it fixed.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    You must be kidding! Yes it is a machine but there should be no shudder! It is the easiest way out: there is not problem hence we do not have to work on a solution! It was designed that way. This is the normal BS we are fed by arrogant ignorants!

Both GM and dealers should fix the issue. It is another example of Cadillac neglecting their customers. Seems like "good old GM" is coming back......sad...
    I took it exactly as you meant it.

I had the very same thought, but I didn't write it . Glad you did!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by caddynut1 View Post
    Hi Laura, Marv, and all others, well, well, here we go.

Picked up my car at the dealership and here is what happened and what I was told by the Head Tech.

They initially thought the problem was with the clutch pack at the rear diff. They realized there is no clutch pack in the rear diff but ended up removing diff to reseal it as it was leaking. Problem was not solved and I was told that the shuddering was caused by the fact that it is AWD (with power being somewhere between 75% rear and 25% front and ultimately 60% rear and 40% front. Power transfer to back and front can be anywhere between these figures. All CTS4's are not necessarily calibrated the same way.

Rear inner wheel spin is not the same as front inner wheel spin when turning and that is causing the shudder when turning. They cannot eliminate this problem.
    The loaner they provided me with was a 2011, but identical with AWD and was not showing this problem at all.

I would guess the shudder is in the viscous coupling on the center diff, but that is only my opinion. The dealership cannot do anything about it.

So there's the story. No solution either for a transmission that has slipped about 5 times with engine revving at 6,000 RPM without the car acccelerating and another problem with car shutting down completely by itself at a red light. I was lucky it did not happen on the highway at 70 MPH. No solution for that problem either.

Laura, what are we all supposed to do? There has to be solutions for these problems. What answers can GM provide us with? Getting in touch with the dealership to try and help will not give the dealerships the knowledge they need to address these problems. Someone has to have the answers.......

Thanks
    Hello caddynut1,

I understand your frustration with your situation. Have you contacted GM of Canada yet? Unfortunately, I cannot further assist you with your case because we are only authorized to work with United States based customers. I am providing you with the phone number for GM of Canada Cadillac Customer Assistance. The phone number is 1-888-446-2000. I am also including a contact us link for GM of Canada below. I recommend contacting them regarding any current concerns.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsfan2009
    >>>I have the same low speed shudder on my new 2012 RWD Performance sedan. It happens when parking or turning at very low speeds. It almost feels like the serpentine belt slips. I'll see what the dealer says when I take it in for some warranty work. <<<

Yes! That's another way you could describe my issue. Also does it when backing up at low speeds and cutting the wheel slightly. Hopefully your dealer won't tell you it's normal and that it's the Traction control kicking in(when the brakes aren't even being applied).
    By any chance, does this symptom occur when streets are wet and streets also have a "rough asphalt surface" ? Also occurring at low speeds or backing out of driveways?

caddynut1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven black 2012 CTS4 3.0 sedan

Thanks Laura. I will certainly contact them.

Michael

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i know that some guy on here fixed his high speed steering wheel vibrations by fitting a very small strip of metal around each of the wheel bolt spokes (the things what keep the wheels on). so apparently the problem is that the bolts are just a fraction of a fraction of an inch too small, and its causes weird resonance at high speed.

might be worth a try for a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i know that some guy on here fixed his high speed steering wheel vibrations by fitting a very small strip of metal around each of the wheel bolt spokes (the things what keep the wheels on). so apparently the problem is that the bolts are just a fraction of a fraction of an inch too small, and its causes weird resonance at high speed.

might be worth a try for a fix?
    We are talking the low speed skipping the front end does, if the center clutch locks up or is close to the front end may skip a bit. I think it has lots to do with the grip level and tire, I will test it when I get time.

Mine does it off throttle low speed on almost bald tires, I will try with the winter tires and see if it makes a difference as I think it will, gravel should make a difference as well. Under throttle I can not feel it.

If these cars had big floppy tall tires I bet no one would notice but everything is so tight the steering wheel gets tons of feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    Mine goes to the dealer next Weds for this issue. If they tell me it's normal, I'll demand to drive a new CTS4 coupe and have it exhibit the same behaviour. I can't believe GM engineers would design and sell a product that does this as part of the design.

I'll let you all know what happens
    Hello dlpuette,

Thank you for keeping us updated. We will be looking for your updates on Wednesday. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

bobseil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

In my previous note re: the "shuttering" I mentioned that the dealer (Wyler Cadillac in Fairfield Ohio) attributed it to "cupped" tires. I have 30,000 miles on these Michelin - Pilot tires. I took the car to the Tire Discounters where I buy all of my tires for their opinion. The said the the Pilot tires are high quality tires and that the tread is still very good. They further said that there is no cupping and that the problem I am experiencing is definitely not attributable to the tires, in their opinion. I did try going in big circles faster. When turning with no pressure on the accelerator there is no shuttering. As I increase the speed, the shuttering begins. It seems to go away as I get into wider turns. There is none during normal driving and no vibration. Bottom line is that I guess I will learn to live with this condition. I was just concerned that it would become a bigger problem later on. I guess some CRT4's have it and some do not. One thing is clear - the dealers do not know what to do about it nor do they understand the technology involved. Thanks to everyone for the comments. At least I know that I am not halucinating. After 3 Cadillacs, 6 Buicks and 1 Cheverolet, I am done with GM.

kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

I also have had this problem on my 2009 CTS4 with 81,000 miles for a few years. Its going to the dealer on Tuesday for the P0008 code (timing chains) and I am having them look at the all wheel drive system as well. I can tell you that this problem has nothing to do with the traction control or the condition of the tires. If this was a rear wheel drive car with a posi traction rear end I would say that the differential fluid did not have the right friction modifier additive. This causes the clutch packs to stick when making a tight turn and the wheels skip. Has anyone figured out if there are clutch packs in this system?

I am not really concerned about the problem but when I go to sell it I will have a hard time explaining to a potential buyer that this condition is normal. And if I was test driving this vehicle for potential purchase this would be a deal killer for me. Cadilac needs to figure out a fix for this as none of the brand new cars drive like this. Will report back after the dealer visit.

Quote Originally Posted by kjr6306 View Post
    I also have had this problem on my 2009 CTS4 with 81,000 miles for a few years. Its going to the dealer on Tuesday for the P0008 code (timing chains) and I am having them look at the all wheel drive system as well. I can tell you that this problem has nothing to do with the traction control or the condition of the tires. If this was a rear wheel drive car with a posi traction rear end I would say that the differential fluid did not have the right friction modifier additive. This causes the clutch packs to stick when making a tight turn and the wheels skip. Has anyone figured out if there are clutch packs in this system?

I am not really concerned about the problem but when I go to sell it I will have a hard time explaining to a potential buyer that this condition is normal. And if I was test driving this vehicle for potential purchase this would be a deal killer for me. Cadilac needs to figure out a fix for this as none of the brand new cars drive like this. Will report back after the dealer visit.
    Hello kjr6306,

I will be on the lookout for your update after your dealer visit. I am sorry you are experiencing the steering concern in which the wheels skip like many other owners. We apologize your experience with your Cadillac is unsatisfactory due to this issue. If you would like to further discuss your concerns with us, don't hesitate to contact us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.