The steering saga continues - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My laser has a welded center diff and it does the same thing, one of the diffs is doing something ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

Re: The steering saga continues

My laser has a welded center diff and it does the same thing, one of the diffs is doing something funny IMO.

I tried adding gas and it got better but I think it just makes the slip into a slide so you don't feel it as much, I will be taking mine out for an autoX and can report back.

Does anyone have a spec or "how this" works sheet on the CTS AWD system?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

conehead,

Here is an article by BW. There are many available via searching, including one on this site that has comments by a GM engineer that helped with the design of the system.

http://drupal.caddyinfo.com/?q=node/17

Thank you but that does not tell me how it works and what the front and rear diff are, I will however do more searching now that I have a starting point.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Remember if you put the spare on on the SRX it deactivates AWD. (Had a traverse do this to me on an extensive back country excursion. Suck losing AWD when I blew a Sidewall). Very disappointing people whine about performance cars performing. The AWD on my avalanche similar to the Escalade has a delay before engaging. I would rather have the tire chirping on the CtS on tight turns and the actual performance when run ing hard but apparently many owners don't wont performance over low speed drivability and gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    Remember if you put the spare on on the SRX it deactivates AWD. (Had a traverse do this to me on an extensive back country excursion. Suck losing AWD when I blew a Sidewall). Very disappointing people whine about performance cars performing. The AWD on my avalanche similar to the Escalade has a delay before engaging. I would rather have the tire chirping on the CtS on tight turns and the actual performance when run ing hard but apparently many owners don't wont performance over low speed drivability and gas mileage.
    No it doesn't, how do you figure it does that?

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

are you saying AWD CTS's have different size tires front and rear? please
    advise. thanks, Douglas

Douglas,

CTS4's have the same size tires on all 4 wheels. Being you have one, I'm surprised you don't look at your own tires!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt
    Douglas,

CTS4's have the same size tires on all 4 wheels. Being you have one, I'm surprised you don't look at your own tires!
    The coupes have a staggered set up.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    The coupes have a staggered set up.
    Opps....forgot about the coupe staggered setup! I stand corrected! Marv

bobseil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Well, what do you know, I have not lost my mind after all. I have the exact same problem and couldn't have stated it more clearly. Everything you describe has occurred with my 2009 AWD CTS4 which has 30,000 miles. I too got the answer "could not duplicate." Also, that it was normal. Finally, I called Cadillac hoping I could talk to someone technical who could tell me if thid had been reported by others. This person got me back in touch with the dealer. I took it in and the service representative took it for a spin and very quickly said the problem was "cupped tires." I have looked up cupped tires on the internet and mine do not look anything like the examples shown. The tread is even and with only 30,000 miles on them, I am not about to buy a new set just to find out the problem does not go away. I took it to another shop owned by a former Cadillac mechanic. He gave me bulletin 51 which says it is normal. So, I am frustrated but at least I now know that I am not alone. My guess is that Cadillac is stonewalling this to avoid a very expensive recall. Eventually I will need to trade or sell this vehicle and the problem could make that difficult. I have given up but I can tell you that after owning 3 Cadillacs, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER purchas another. My second car is a Suburu Forester AWD which exibits none of these problems. Welcome to the ignored caddy owners club!!!

It very well may be normal so don't worry just yet, the Subaru uses a different AWD system so it may not do it.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

In this case, being "normal" is not necessarily the same as "correct".

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    In this case, being "normal" is not necessarily the same as "correct".
    Fair enough, I have read about the same on the Audi and BMW as well.

I think the center diff is locking up, by design or the VC is just a "tighter" in some cars. I don't know if the center diff is just an open diff with a VC on it or if any electronics are in play as well, but if the center diff is not open enough it will skip something.

When going faster you don't notice because the wheel speed and more slip but going mega slow the VC can overpower the grip of the tire, has anyone tried some big circles getting faster and faster?

Now I feel bad for all the guys with lazy center VC's lol

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

Mine goes to the dealer next Weds for this issue. If they tell me it's normal, I'll demand to drive a new CTS4 coupe and have it exhibit the same behaviour. I can't believe GM engineers would design and sell a product that does this as part of the design.

I'll let you all know what happens

caddynut1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven black 2012 CTS4 3.0 sedan

Hi Laura, Marv, and all others, well, well, here we go.

Picked up my car at the dealership and here is what happened and what I was told by the Head Tech.

They initially thought the problem was with the clutch pack at the rear diff. They realized there is no clutch pack in the rear diff but ended up removing diff to reseal it as it was leaking. Problem was not solved and I was told that the shuddering was caused by the fact that it is AWD (with power being somewhere between 75% rear and 25% front and ultimately 60% rear and 40% front. Power transfer to back and front can be anywhere between these figures. All CTS4's are not necessarily calibrated the same way.

Rear inner wheel spin is not the same as front inner wheel spin when turning and that is causing the shudder when turning. They cannot eliminate this problem.
    The loaner they provided me with was a 2011, but identical with AWD and was not showing this problem at all.

I would guess the shudder is in the viscous coupling on the center diff, but that is only my opinion. The dealership cannot do anything about it.

So there's the story. No solution either for a transmission that has slipped about 5 times with engine revving at 6,000 RPM without the car acccelerating and another problem with car shutting down completely by itself at a red light. I was lucky it did not happen on the highway at 70 MPH. No solution for that problem either.

Laura, what are we all supposed to do? There has to be solutions for these problems. What answers can GM provide us with? Getting in touch with the dealership to try and help will not give the dealerships the knowledge they need to address these problems. Someone has to have the answers.......

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.