Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The steering saga continues

40K views 106 replies 30 participants last post by  Momma up 
#1 ·
I'm going to try to keep from ranting as I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who has had these issues before, but I'm about at my wit's end. As most of you who have read my posts over the past 7 or so months know, I've had steering issues with mine that cannot seem to be resolved. To sum them up, the first is a "skipping/binding/shudder/wheel-hop, etc." feeling whenever making slow speed turns. It's almost as if the steering is disconnected for a moment. A prime example is driving through a parking lot such as the one at your local mall, or going around a cul-de-sac such as in your neighborhood, or ever backing out of my driveway, then cutting the wheel to move forward down the road. The feeling can be felt both through the wheel and the shift lever. Additionally, if I am backing up at a slow speeds on a slight incline and cutting the feel, I also get this. Sometimes it almost feels like the trans is slipping. So, that is issue one. I've been told by the dealer that it is (a.) normal for AWD,(b.) unable to duplicate, (c.) steering gear replaced, (d.) rear diff fluid replaced per TSB, and (e.) the traction control is kicking in because one wheel is turning at a different speed when I'm making sharp turns and this is what I'm feeling. The SECOND issue I have is when making sharp turns, again a cul-de-sac is the most common place it does this. When making a sharp turn, almost to a lock, there is a crunching or rubbing noise that comes directly from the front end, pretty much directly in front of me. To make a long story short, after my last failed attempt to get the issues resolved, I called the dealer back as they asked me to let them know if I could not mark completely satisfied on the survey. When I brought it back in, the service manager went for a drive with me and I was able to duplicate the noise with him. They replaced the right front lower control arm, said the old one was rusty and the bushing was worn. So....today the car is ready and I pick it up this afternoon. Tonight I'm out and I decide to try the sharp curve where I was able to duplicate the noise with the service manager and guess what, it still does it! Nothing has changed. Oh, and I turned the traction control off to see if this would cure the other issue as well. Which of course it did not. I really appreciate the service manager taking a ride with me and the staff at the dealer has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved, but I'm not sure where to go with this now. I really want these issues fixed. I feel like I have to provide a detailed explanation of the issues each time I take it in(the service advisor remarked I always bring a very detailed note) and I don't know what else to tell them to get these issues fixed. To those of you with AWD CTSs, do your cars exhibit the same feeling mine does in slow speed turns? Any other tips or "symptoms" I can tell them? Sorry for the long post, I'm just really frustrated.

See less See more
#99 ·
Ok so I've had the opportunity to drive the CTS4 a few times. As far as I can tell, the issue is fixed. The work order from the dealership said that the transfer case fluid was discolored and had a burnt smell to it. They replaced the fluid and it drives like new. No charge for the service.....nice job.

#101 ·
Thank you kjr6306 and conedoctor for sharing your experience with this problem. I had this problem and was about to give up until kjr6306 mentioned having the transfer case fluid replaced. I saw that the scheduled replacement was at 100,000 miles but a website suggested changing it at 30,000 miles. Well, I am pleased to report that I just had mine replaced on my 2009 CRT4 and, as with kjr6306, the problem went away. No more shutter. I did not go back to the dealer as I have lost confidence in them. I took it to a mechanic that used to be the dealer's head mechanic but started his own shop. Less then $100. So thanks again. I hope that the technicians who monitor this site can arrange for a bulletin that covers this problem.

----------

Thank you kjr6306 and conedoctor for sharing your experience with this problem. I had this problem and was about to give up until kjr6306 mentioned having the transfer case fluid replaced. I saw that the scheduled replacement was at 100,000 miles but a website suggested changing it at 30,000 miles. Well, I am pleased to report that I just had mine replaced on my 2009 CRT4 and, as with kjr6306, the problem went away. No more shutter. I did not go back to the dealer as I have lost confidence in them. I took it to a mechanic that used to be the dealer's head mechanic but started his own shop. Less then $100. So thanks again. I hope that the technicians who monitor this site can arrange for a bulletin that covers this problem.
Oops, should have read CTS4 rather than CRT4. Also wanted to mention that I have 31,000 miles on this 2009 CTS4 and most of the driving is around down in and out of parking spaces.

#104 ·
KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!
Bought a 2014 CTS Coupe couple months ago. On test drive topknot on the freeway
Wasn't until I drove it around the city that I felt the 'issue '.
Took it to my mechanic, who praised the car and wrote off the SHIMMER as the downside of owning an awd.
I hate it. But it doesn't appear it can do anything about.

#105 ·
KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!
Bought a 2014 CTS Coupe couple months ago. On test drive topknot on the freeway
Wasn't until I drove it around the city that I felt the 'issue '.
Took it to my mechanic, who praised the car and wrote off the SHIMMER as the downside of owning an awd.
I hate it. But it doesn't appear it can do anything about.
Thread resuscitation.

You can change the differential and TC fluids.
See if that makes a difference.

#107 ·
I read through this whole SAGA. And what did I find?! A solution! The descriptions of the steering problem were spot on. Exact problem in a used 2011 I just bought with 111,000 miles on it. I took my car into a transmission shop and asked them to replace the differential oil and the transfer case fluid. Just the services on those two things and $350 later...my car is perfect. Solved the issue. It is NOT NORMAL for an AWD to do that. Please go get your fluids replaced! Thank you all for helping me solve this problem. It’s annoying as hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.