The steering saga continues - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So CTSfan2009 was this ever fixed? I have the same issue and I want to know how to attack the ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: The steering saga continues

So CTSfan2009 was this ever fixed?

I have the same issue and I want to know how to attack the problem.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

I'd like to revive this thread as well. I bought a lightly used 13 AWD Perf Coupe (8K on the clock) recently and have the same issue. Low speed - forward or backward - tight turn at low speed. Feels like the differentials are trying to figure out where to send the torque. Feels like it's binding, tire chirp etc. I'm was going to wait till my first oil change to address the issue but think I need to sooner. I have this fear they're going to say its normal. If they do I'm going to demand to drive a new AWD Coupe and make them demonstrate that all of em do this. I can't for the life of me believe that the GM/Cadillac engineers released this design and thought it was okay!!

I need to find out how this AWD system works so I can figure out why this is happening, to me it feels like a diff is locking up. On mine I appear to have a sweet spot and as I turn tighter or straighten out it gets better, half way between it get worse.

I don't have brakes coming on so its not a TC issue and I don't think these cars had electronic locking diffs, as I said above I need to find out if the system is open or has a VC in the mix anywhere. My SRX does not do this and nor did my Denali but both have much different tires.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    I'd like to revive this thread as well. I bought a lightly used 13 AWD Perf Coupe (8K on the clock) recently and have the same issue. Low speed - forward or backward - tight turn at low speed. Feels like the differentials are trying to figure out where to send the torque. Feels like it's binding, tire chirp etc. I'm was going to wait till my first oil change to address the issue but think I need to sooner. I have this fear they're going to say its normal. If they do I'm going to demand to drive a new AWD Coupe and make them demonstrate that all of em do this. I can't for the life of me believe that the GM/Cadillac engineers released this design and thought it was okay!!
    Hello dlpuette,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicles steering. I do see that you are thinking about taking your vehicle into the dealership sooner than your first oil change because you are concerned about this issue. If would like any assistance in working with the dealership in regards to gathering a diagnosis, please feel free to private message me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I need to find out how this AWD system works so I can figure out why this is happening, to me it feels like a diff is locking up. On mine I appear to have a sweet spot and as I turn tighter or straighten out it gets better, half way between it get worse.

I don't have brakes coming on so its not a TC issue and I don't think these cars had electronic locking diffs, as I said above I need to find out if the system is open or has a VC in the mix anywhere. My SRX does not do this and nor did my Denali but both have much different tires.
    Hello conedoctor,

Have you brought this up to your dealership in regards to your CTS? I apologize that you that you are experiencing this issue as well. If you would like to further discuss your concern, please feel free to private message me so I can look into this for you. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette
    Most AWD vehicles due this, especially those that evenly distribute torque or are RWD biased. The only car that didn't do that was my Acura RL, but that in AWD system in that car was programmed to be FWD biased.

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

gohawk - I would accept this but so many have written in saying that thier AWD CTS's don't do this. How can it happen in some and not others?

Just trying to make sense of it all

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Only an opinion, but I believe that tires/tread design have something to do with this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette
    gohawk - I would accept this but so many have written in saying that thier AWD CTS's don't do this. How can it happen in some and not others?

Just trying to make sense of it all
    It shouldn't do this when doing a normal turn, but you said a tight "lock" turn. That is key.

My tires are at the wear bars so little to no tread squirm, when I get the winters on I can report back. My Denali and SRX were RWD systems and they don't do it.

caddynut1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven black 2012 CTS4 3.0 sedan

I'm having the exact same problems on a 2012 AWD sedan 3.0 with 40K miles. It's in the shop right now and they're changing parts. I'm in the machinery business and let metell you they're under pressure right now or whenever my car is in their shop, as I have to explain to them how certain systems work. So it's always an in depth exchange about mechanics and their technicians always end up having to go into details as to what they're doing. Will see what happens as I am picking up the car either today or Monday, and will let you know what repairs were done. Thinking about changing my name from 'Caddynut1' to something else.....

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Caddynut,

Welcome to the forum! Interested to hear of your repair progress!

Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by caddynut1 View Post
    I'm having the exact same problems on a 2012 AWD sedan 3.0 with 40K miles. It's in the shop right now and they're changing parts. I'm in the machinery business and let metell you they're under pressure right now or whenever my car is in their shop, as I have to explain to them how certain systems work. So it's always an in depth exchange about mechanics and their technicians always end up having to go into details as to what they're doing. Will see what happens as I am picking up the car either today or Monday, and will let you know what repairs were done. Thinking about changing my name from 'Caddynut1' to something else.....
    Hello caddynut1,

We are happy to have you as part of the Cadillac community on this forum. I am sorry for any vehicle issues you are experiencing, as I see your vehicle is currently in the shop. Please update us all on your repair progress just like Marv stated. I see you are located in Canada, so if additional concerns or questions arise, we are limited to how we can assist, but can get you in contact with our GM Canadian counterparts.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by caddynut1 View Post
    I was picking up my SRX one day and the service writer takes me aside and sort of tells me on the down low that my all the same size winter tires are going to wreck my Tcase because my car came with staggered sizes, the tech wanted me to know. I nodded and said OK, I should have got the tech and sat them down for a lesson but I did not have time. SRX has 3 open diffs, good thing I did not put the factory spare tire on that is 4" shorter I wish the dealer product knowledge was better.

caddynut1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven black 2012 CTS4 3.0 sedan

Thanks Marv and Laura, will keep you and everyone on this forum posted. But pretty deceiving to see that no one seems to have resolved this problem......

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I have a Ford Ranger pickup with an aftermarket "locker" differential that does the same thing. Ordinarily in a tight turn all the driving comes off the inside wheel. If you gas it the differential locks and both rear wheels turn together. The locker locks and releases as the turn continues. The solution is to roll the turn like a racecar on the track and don't gas it until the corner straightens some. This lets the inside wheel do all the driving and everything is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.