The steering saga continues - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The steering saga continues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Rtrocchia, I'm saddened to hear you're experiencing this also. I apologize for not replying sooner, but I was away for ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: The steering saga continues

Rtrocchia, I'm saddened to hear you're experiencing this also. I apologize for not replying sooner, but I was away for the long holiday weekend and unfortunately only became aware of your recent posts when I got back to the office today. If you don't mind, would you please email me (Katie_Lucille@gmepexpert.com) with your name, VIN, mileage, and dealership information? That would help me greatly while I research your concern.

Looking forward to working with you,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Katie, Your email doesn't work. Tried numerous times to to email you without any success. rtrocchia@comcast.net

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

rtocchia, I'm really sorry you had problems emailing me! I am sending an email to you directly after posting this, and hopefully we can connect soon.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Has anyone tried turning the traction control off. It may not be the culprit but will eliminate one more possible cause.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

After the dealer told me it was the traction control causing the "shudder/binding/skippping/wheel hop" feeling, I turned it off and did a sharp turn and it still did it. I know what traction control feels like when it engages and this feeling is not it. I'm planning to take the car to another dealer this week. The next closest one is 35 miles away from me, but if they can fix the issue, it will be worth it. I've got just under 300 miles until my bumper-to-bumper is up so time is not on my side with this issue. BTW, the left side control arm was replaced last week and the metallic clank when making a sharp turn is still there! Sadly, I'm not surprised. Honestly, if the shudder feeling can be fixed, I'll live with the clank as it only does it in very tight turns.

Update! Took the car to another dealer today to try once again to get the steering shudder resolved. I received a call from them in the afternoon telling me it was ready. I was in shock as I didn't expect the repair to be that quick. When I asked what work was done, they tell me they changed the rear differential fluid per a service bulletin. Puzzled I asked if that was really the problem as it was done(or at least the paperwork says it was) just several weeks ago at the other dealer and the guy says yeah, it's not got the shudder now. I had a glimmer of hope as I thought that maybe this problem had finally been banished. Sadly, after getting the car and driving back to my office and making a sharp, slow speed turn in the parking lot, I realize that nothing is fixed. Same shudder feeling along with a low rumble or growl in the front end. So...now I'm back to sqaure one. And since the round trip to the dealer I tried today is about 70 miles for me, I have less than 100 miles on my bumper to bumper left. Needless to say, I'm really really PO'ed right now. So now I've had the rear diff fluid changed twice, the steering gear replaced last December, and both front control arms replaced and my problems are still not fixed. Does nobody know how to work on these cars? Hell, if they'd give me access to a service bay and all of the necessary tools, parts, and shop manual, I'd give up a day and attempt to fix it myself! I think at this point I'm just going to sell this car as quickly as possible. What was my dream car has turned into a service nightmare I'm afraid.

Surfstix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium & 2008 SRX4

Get a reference number from GM to cover your butt, call today explain to them and let them look at the records and extend your warranty on that particular problem use that number at every visit to the dealer and try different dealers you need a paper trail.Just in case further measures are needed they will get in contact with the dealers and send a rep out to drive the vehicle.Try 1-800-458-8006.After all of the mechanical things have been replaced I'm starting to think it is computer related they are just waiting for that warranty to expire get that number.I had mine in for a/c issue they said since it was working they would not be able to fix it,I told them you are the pro's something makes that operate whatever it is replace it seemed pretty logical to me.

Okay, so after the second diff fluid change at the "other" Cadillac dealer failed to fix the problem, I contacted the one I had been working with previously and set up another appointment. Took it in last week and a technician rode around with me while I got the car to duplicate my concern. He said he would have to research it a bit. After not hearing from the dealer for a couple of days, I actually thought it was a good sign as they must have found something. Got a call Tuesday that it was done. The repair? The rear diff limited slip clutch plates were replaced. Now, considering the noise appears to come from the front of the vehcile, I was skeptical, but they assured me this should fix it. I was out of town for work so I just got back today and drove it. Problem is still there! This is unbelievable! I have now had the car in 5 times to 2 different dealers for the shudder feel and low growl when making slow turns and with all of the parts replaced, this is still not fixed. I guess I'm going to get Cadillac customer service on the horn and get a case opened. I've got about 15 miles on my bumper to bumper left.

elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

I have 08 CTS RWD, 3.6 engine, Premium Luxury Collection with 18" All Season Tire Performance Package. About a year ago I took it to my Dealer for a hissing sound when turning the steering wheel in a quiet parking lot and I was told that was normal on CTC; now Iím experiencing Steering Wheel shudder/vibration when I turn the wheel while the car is not moving or at very low speeds, forward or reverse, but no clicking sound. It feels like the serpentine belt slips.
    In a couple of weeks Iíll need oil change and Iíll address the steering wheel vibration problem to my dealer; hopefully they'll fix it because my 4 years bumper to bumper warranty ends August 20, 2012.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by elo_mcfeelo View Post
    I have 08 CTS RWD, 3.6 engine, Premium Luxury Collection with 18" All Season Tire Performance Package. About a year ago I took it to my Dealer for a hissing sound when turning the steering wheel in a quiet parking lot and I was told that was normal on CTC; now I’m experiencing Steering Wheel shudder/vibration when I turn the wheel while the car is not moving or at very low speeds, forward or reverse, but no clicking sound. It feels like the serpentine belt slips.
    In a couple of weeks I’ll need oil change and I’ll address the steering wheel vibration problem to my dealer; hopefully they'll fix it because my 4 years bumper to bumper warranty ends August 20, 2012.
    My 2012 FE2 has done that since I got it new about 2 months ago. The dealer says it's normal but as an ex GM engineer I can't imagine that would be acceptable. I too suspect a slipping of the serpentine belt. Has anyone had this condition corrected?

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

The only time I've experienced anything like what's described was on a differnt car when the power steering pump was going out. At low engine RPM, the pump no long was able to deliver the fluid pressure to operate the power steering continuously and the result was a pulsing felt in the wheel.

Do either of your cars exibit the issue with the trans in N or P? If not, it may be an issue with the pump. That would only change if the idle speed is slightly higher when not in D. Maybe GM has dialed the pump pressure back to a dead minimum to reduce parasitic losses and a slight reduction in idle speed is causing low speed issues? Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    The only time I've experienced anything like what's described was on a differnt car when the power steering pump was going out. At low engine RPM, the pump no long was able to deliver the fluid pressure to operate the power steering continuously and the result was a pulsing felt in the wheel.

Do either of your cars exibit the issue with the trans in N or P? If not, it may be an issue with the pump. That would only change if the idle speed is slightly higher when not in D. Maybe GM has dialed the pump pressure back to a dead minimum to reduce parasitic losses and a slight reduction in idle speed is causing low speed issues? Just guessing.
    I do think it is pump related. It does it in neutral as well but to a lesser degree. The dealer said it was due to the low idle speed, but I can't imagine many people putting up with this. I'm going to try a different dealer.

Well, if the idle speed is low, why don't they fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Well, if the idle speed is low, why don't they fix that?
    Easier said than done. Unless it's a factory approved re programming, a dealer can't do it. besides. the dealer is full of s..t on the diagnosis.

How low is the idle? Is it below the specified idle speed? If so, they should be able to address the issue. If it's not below the specified speed, then I would understand their reluctance to raise it.

One thought I had was that maybe there were two different pumps, one for manual trans and one for auto. But a part search shows that the pump is the same for both. If the problems dissapear in Neutral and the engine speed raised with the throttle pedal, it is definately a pump pressure issue or a steering rack issue at idle speed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.