Road Force Balancing Hunter GSP9700
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Road Force Balancing Hunter GSP9700 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; At highway speed (65-75mph), I can still feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I might be oversensitive, but ...
    like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Road Force Balancing Hunter GSP9700

At highway speed (65-75mph), I can still feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I might be oversensitive, but I want my CTS to drive as it should be, vibration-less period. My usual Cadillac dealer doesn't have the road force balancer GSP9700.
    Therefore, I checked the Hunter's web site to locate a road balancer in my region. I took an appointment this morning with another Cadillac dealer here in Connecticut that has a Hunter GSP9700. They quoted the job for $149. Is it about right? The tech said that it might take few hours to perform.
    We will see what this gives. I'll let you posted!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Re: Road Force Balancing Hunter GSP9700

I road forced balanced my tires for the same reason as you. It was like night and day ... smooth smooth smooth. The problem is after one winter of potholes and what not, I had to have it done again.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

You still have to consider the mileage on your tires as well as those doggone potholes and frost heaves that just may have damaged your wheel. If those things come into play then the tires/wheels may never get balanced.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Just wanted to chime in and say I look forward to your updates, like2drive! I'm glad you were able to find what you needed at an alternative Cadillac dealership, and I hope your CTS is home to you fairly quickly.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Good luck. Please post how the road force balancing works (good or bad). With large wheels and low profile tires, it seems reasonable that this is a good idea if you want to guarantee a smooth ride in a CTS.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

How true, Tinman ... I ended up with a bent rim from this winter ...

M.Dubb1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Sedan 3.6 DI RWD Premium in Raven Black

I had the same vibrations and after regular balancing did not correct the problem, I did a road force balance and it completely fixed the problem. It was only 1 wheel that was off but it was about 180 degrees away from where the ideal match of tire and rim should have been so the result was dramatic. I already had the free unlimited lifetime rotation and balance from Discount Tire Centers so they only charged me an additional $10 per tire to do the road force balance on each of the tires. Hope it helps you like it did me.

Remember to request the wheel weights go on the inside of the rim. Some of the tire monkeys may just try to put standard wheel weights on the outside lip. And hand torque the lug nuts to the proper spec, of which I am not sure what that is. 140 ft./lbs.??? Someone who knows please chime in on that.

Thanks for all your inputs! I'm going Friday morning for road force balancing. As of now, my 17" wheels have standard wheel weights on the outside lip - not sure if they have weights on the inside? I also know that last time, the lug nuts were torqued with a air gun.

Just got back from the dealer. They road force balanced all four tires on the Hunter GSP9700. The tech found that all four tires were slightly off - from 0.25 to 0.5 (I think grams). Now they are all spot on. The road force values for my four tires vary between 2 and 12. We test drove the car after balancing on two types of pavement - asphalt and concrete - from 50 to 75 mph. All I can say is WOW!!!! Now the car feels as smooth as glass - the shimmy in the steering wheel is gone.
    It's the first time I'm getting my wheels road force balanced - and it won't be the last.....especially on the CTS. It does make a difference compared to a "normal" wheel balancer....I'm now convinced

Excellent!

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Thanks for posting your feedback. I'm glad to hear it solved the problem.

Mr. Frontier is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS Black

Which dealer in CT did you go to for the balance?

Mr. Frontier,
    I went to Loehmann Blasius Chevrolet Cadillac in Waterbury. If you decide to give it a try, ask for Jeff. He did it on my car and it really makes a difference.

alenart1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I just wanted to share my story since this forum really saved me some time.
    I have a 2010 HHR, had the factory rims and tires switched out for different ones, and had the TPMS sensors moved over to the new rims by Sears. I then noticed a ton of vibration in the steering wheel at 65mph, you could feel the whole car shaking. I took it back to sears and they rebalanced the rims, and now it shook even worse. Then I read this forum, went to the road force website and found a local tire shop that had a road force balancer, and got them balanced again. This time, all the vibration is gone! Very smooth! Thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.