Trunk Leak Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Trunk Leak Problem in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I searched the forum and could only find information about leaking trunks during normal rain. My trunk seems to only ...
    HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Trunk Leak Problem

I searched the forum and could only find information about leaking trunks during normal rain. My trunk seems to only leak when high pressure water is applied to it. So whenever I run it through an automatic car wash or wash it myself, I open the trunk and have water pouring inside from under the upper mat in the trunk.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The arrows on the attachment indicate the location water comes out when I open the trunk (not a picture of my care, just an example trunk)
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: Trunk Leak Problem

Hi HansK,

Most likely water penetrating around 3rd brake light (CHMSL) and/or, less likely, license plate grommets...pooling inside trunk lid liner...then leaking down when you open trunk.

My dealer's repair order says, "See Bulletin PIC5004A Water Leak In Trunk...Sealed CHMSL Harness and Replaced License Plate Grommets."

TIP: When opening trunk lid, always pull up on decorative chromed molding above license plate, never the CHMSL; and, when closing trunk lid, pull down on righthand interior handle, never the CHMSL.

Hope this helps.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Thanks, I will have them check it out next time I stop by the dealership.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

x2, CHMSL and/or license plate grommets are at fault. My car experienced this, the dealer sealed both areas.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts
    x2, CHMSL and/or license plate grommets are at fault. My car experienced this, the dealer sealed both areas.
    x3...guess it's a common issue. (Bone dry now) Make sure they dry out your carpet properly. My dealer pulled it right out but offered new carpeting if it developed a bad odor.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by HansK View Post
    Thanks, I will have them check it out next time I stop by the dealership.
    Glad to see the community members were able to provide you with such helpful feedback, HansK! I look forward to your update, whenever you get the chance to have it checked out in the future.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

I've had the same issue, HansK. The dealership replaced the release button for the trunk shortly after I got the car because the "springiness" of the membrane button had quickly worn out. (They replaced it with a much cheaper feeling button that was a completely different design and has no spring to it whatsoever -- it's perfectly flat now.)

Ever since the repair, when it rains or when I wash the car, the inside cavity of the trunk lid fills with water, which pours out the areas you highlighted in your photo when I open the trunk. I've had so many poorly done repairs at my dealership that I'm waiting until I make a special trip to a different one to have this and a laundry list of other problems fixed.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I've had the same issue, HansK. The dealership replaced the release button for the trunk shortly after I got the car because the "springiness" of the membrane button had quickly worn out. (They replaced it with a much cheaper feeling button that was a completely different design and has no spring to it whatsoever -- it's perfectly flat now.)

Ever since the repair, when it rains or when I wash the car, the inside cavity of the trunk lid fills with water, which pours out the areas you highlighted in your photo when I open the trunk. I've had so many poorly done repairs at my dealership that I'm waiting until I make a special trip to a different one to have this and a laundry list of other problems fixed.
    reciprocity,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with some of the repairs that have been performed at your dealership in the past (including the trunk matter); if we can ever look into anything for you, please don't hesitate to send us a private message here of the forum with the last 8 digits of your VIN.
    Regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

roggy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS, 02 STS, 08 CTS

I also just got this fixed. Its a bulletin so don't worry about being charged.

My invoice reads Bulletin: PI0346C

My service adviser said it was both the third brake light but moreso the license plate mounts. I had the same problem as soon as I took it for a car wash & I open the trunk and water would leak from under the top trunk carpeting liner. Would also be wet near the handle to close trunk.

Since then not a drop. They resealed the third brake light and plate mounts.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I've had mine in twice for a trunk leak, both times the driver side of the trunk would be damp after being in rain or a car wash. First time, they resealed the trunk as per the TSB. Didn't fix it. Had it in last week and they said one of my sunroof drains had come detached and this was causing the water and they resealed the drain tube. They also replaced the carpet. The car has not been in any significant rain since them so only time will tell if that fixed it.

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

I noticed that on the inside of the trunklid that there are drainholes but they are plugged up with rubber plugs. I'm not quite sure why there are drainholes with plugs in them.

celmem is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T

Not too happy with my CTS right now. In the shop for this:

1. Bad wheel speed sensor. Which shuts all the drive safety features (stabilitytrak, anitlock etc.)

2. Trunk Leak

3. Rear "thumping" noise over bumps at low speed.

I assumed all of this was warranty. but noooo! I would have thought 1 and 3 were drivetrain and 2, corrosion. I told them just fix no. 1 because I'll have to in order to unload this vehicle for a Honda.

Not happy.

(they are, supposedly, giving me a credit for the sensor - still $200 however).

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by celmem View Post
    Not too happy with my CTS right now. In the shop for this:

1. Bad wheel speed sensor. Which shuts all the drive safety features (stabilitytrak, anitlock etc.)

2. Trunk Leak

3. Rear "thumping" noise over bumps at low speed.

I assumed all of this was warranty. but noooo! I would have thought 1 and 3 were drivetrain and 2, corrosion. I told them just fix no. 1 because I'll have to in order to unload this vehicle for a Honda.

Not happy.

(they are, supposedly, giving me a credit for the sensor - still $200 however).
    Regarding your trunk leak, there's a good chance your sunroof drains are clogged. (Mine were but the dealer replaced everything under btb warranty anyway) I haven't had the issue recur in over a year now and check the drains once a month.

thavil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry Cadillac CTS4
    Celmem - Another possibility for your trunk leak could be the third brake light. Mine leaked and they replaced the light and haven't had a leak since.

For your thumping/clunking noise over bumps, this is a known issue. Your rear suspension knuckles need to be replaced.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

It has been a very wet week end in the northeast (the wettest since I have this car) and when I opened my trunk lid this morning (car was kept outside all week end!!), I could ear water rolling in the trunk lid. Moreover, the water would leak from under the trunk liner as shown in the OP. After finding and reading this thread, it appears that there is a TSB for this. What happens when the car is out of b2b warranty?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.