Ac mold smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Ac mold smell in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2008 cts and the ac smell very bad when running for a while and then turn off. ...
    kenny5533 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Ac mold smell

I have a 2008 cts and the ac smell very bad when running for a while and then turn off. I always run on the fresh air setting to eliminate any moisture but cant figure out wht it still smell. Anyone have this problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Ac mold smell

There was a recent thread where someone had clogged drains from their evap (I think it was). Maybe you have a similar problem. In that thread was a diagram of the system and how to clean out those drains.

Maybe someone else will chime in with additional info and thoughts.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

kenny5533,

I am not seeing any general information on this mold smell you've described in the resources I have here; have you had it looked into in the past?

Regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ Hey kenny5533 - At the Auto Repair Reference Center site I located an instruction to eliminate air conditioning odor (AC mold smell) on the 2nd Gen CTS. The procedure calls for deodorizing the evaporator core using a Deodorizing Aerosol Kit. Below I've included a link to the instruction pdf that I've uploaded to my account at MediaFire:
    loosend and loosend like this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

RAB, good info, but is this GM's bandaid or is it a cure? What would be the underlying cause?

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I had a mold smell and changed the cabin air filter and it went away.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    RAB, good info, but is this GM's bandaid or is it a cure? What would be the underlying cause?
    tinman, thanks. I'd be hoping it would be more of a cure than a bandaid, given the "deodorizing aerosol" spray is applied directly to the evaporator core. The question that remains is.. what are the actual contents of the aerosol can? If it's only a deodorant then the job would likely be just a bandaid fix. If the spray contains anti-mold/anti-fungal agents, then that would tend to act as a cure. I've never tried this particular procedure yet - haven't had to - but it may be an option for those experiencing frequent or persistent AC mold smell.

As to the underlying cause.. air conditioning systems of all types are unfortunately prone to the problems of mold & fungi formation & propogation. I suppose the main issue in the CTS is that the evaporator core remains cold for a little while - but more importantly wet for a long time after the car and HVAC system have been turned off. One way automotive engineers could deal with this issue is to have the HVAC blower continue to operate for several minutes after the car has been turned off, to help remove all humidity from the evaporator. The problem (AC odor) is of course worse in certain parts of the country where ambient temperatures and levels of relative humidity are higher than average.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Personally, I would try a cabin air filter change as a first step since it only takes 10-15 mins to do unless there is no mold smell when the system is running in heat or fresh air.

RAB

Have to say that a cabin air filter change-out does nothing for AC mold smell.. and that includes the Fram "Fresh Breeze" so-called deodorizing filter which I have learned from experience as being all hype and providing no particular benefit. I was happier with the WIX OEM filter I had purchased for my previous '09 CTS. The OEM filter has a greater number of folds (compared to the Fram) and provides a greater area (more squares inches) of filter media.

TX_09CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

My 2009 had been previously owned by a smoker. Dealer had detailed interior, changed cabin filter, etc but couldn't get rid of odor entirely. They knocked about $1500-$2000 off the price & it had only 20K miles on it, so I figured I could get rid of it. I shampooed carpets, cleaned headliner, all glass, used Lysol & Ozium to directly into ventilation system (from cabin filter location), but I couldn't get the smoke odor 100% out of there. I had to about 97% gone after all that work, then I used the magic bullet (product) that got rid of all smoke odors & left car smelling great. It's called Autoshocker and works great. http://www.autoshocker.com/

It will leave a slight "bleachy" smell for a day or 2 after the treatment, but my car was completely odor-free afterwards.
    Citabria and Citabria like this.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB
    Have to say that a cabin air filter change-out does nothing for AC mold smell.. and that includes the Fram "Fresh Breeze" so-called deodorizing filter which I have learned from experience as being all hype and providing no particular benefit. I was happier with the WIX OEM filter I had purchased for my previous '09 CTS. The OEM filter has a greater number of folds (compared to the Fram) and provides a greater area (more squares inches) of filter media.
    Damn, looks like I'll be replacing my pos Fram filter then...even with just a few hours of use. I knew I shouldn't have purchased that. I'm not experiencing any odd odors but want nothing but the best for my CTS Thanks RAB.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Damn, looks like I'll be replacing my pos Fram filter then...even with just a few hours of use. I knew I shouldn't have purchased that. I'm not experiencing any odd odors but want nothing but the best for my CTS Thanks RAB.
    LOL! Jeffc83, the Fram filter isn't necessarily a p-o-s ... it just doesn't do, IMO, what its name (Fresh Breeze) and its description /marketing hype would have you believe. I've found the [Arm & Hammer] baking soda that is apparently impregnated into the surface cells of the Fram filter media does nothing to improve the quality (read "smell") of outside air drawn into the cabin. The fact that the Fram filter uses less total filter media (fewer folds) than the OEM micronAir filter [offered by a few companies under varying part numbers] means the Fram filter will likely become dirt-loaded and require change-out far sooner than the OEM filter. But that of course assumes that the Fram filter's "micron rating" is the same as the OEM filter. Fram may have messed around with their filter media's micron size/rating in order to get the baking soda to stick/impregnate, which means their filter may not be catching some of the smaller particles the micronAir OEM filter is capable of doing.
    I wouldn't pull out the Fram filter if it's relatively new (I'll leave mine in for now), but I'll be going back to the OEM filter at the next cabin filter change-out. I may experiment with a scented dryer sheet - place it at the intake side of the filter - as a way to deodorize (or rather odorize) incoming air. The nice odor may end up being way overpowering.. so my experiment could well be short-lived!

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium

LOL! Jeffc83, the Fram filter isn't necessarily a p-o-s ... it just doesn't do, IMO, what its name (Fresh Breeze) and its description /marketing hype would have you believe. I've found the [Arm & Hammer] baking soda that is apparently impregnated into the surface cells of the Fram filter media does nothing to improve the quality (read "smell") of outside air drawn into the cabin. The fact that the Fram filter uses less total filter media (fewer folds) than the OEM micronAir filter [offered by a few companies under varying part numbers] means the Fram filter will likely become dirt-loaded and require change-out far sooner than the OEM filter. But that of course assumes that the Fram filter's "micron rating" is the same as the OEM filter. Fram may have messed around with their filter media's micron size/rating in order to get the baking soda to stick/impregnate, which means their filter may not be catching some of the smaller particles the micronAir OEM filter is capable of doing.
    I wouldn't pull out the Fram filter if it's relatively new (I'll leave mine in for now), but I'll be going back to the OEM filter at the next cabin filter change-out. I may experiment with a scented dryer sheet - place it at the intake side of the filter - as a way to deodorize (or rather odorize) incoming air. The nice odor may end up being way overpowering.. so my experiment could well be short-lived!
    Lol, I guess I'll wait till the next air filter change. Nice idea with the dryer sheet but I still enjoy the new car/leather scent. (for now)

BobbyandRyan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium 3.6
    I changed my cabin air filter in both my CTS and my wife's car. Both had mold smell and black in spots. When filters were out I cycled a can of Lysol directly into the intake. Replaced with new filters and problem solved. I did make sure I had proper drainage in both.

RAB

^ Based on BobbyandRyan's incredible findings, please disregard GM's (and my) recommendations to deal with chronic/recurring AC mold smell. Damn.. how could we have been so wrong on this? All that's needed is a change-out of your foul-smelling moldy old filter and emptying a can of Lysol into the cabin air intake.. and Voilā! Apologies for providing info and a link to what is clearly nonsense.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.