2012 CTS Sport Wagon- rear head rest removal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon- rear head rest removal in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Dragonwycke, Have you tried these online instructions for CTS headrest removal (model/yr not specified): http://www.ehow.com/how_5905651_remo...drest-cts.html ?...
    928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: 2012 CTS Sport Wagon- rear head rest removal

Dragonwycke,

Have you tried these online instructions for CTS headrest removal (model/yr not specified): http://www.ehow.com/how_5905651_remo...drest-cts.html?

Dragonwycke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    Dragonwycke,

Have you tried these online instructions for CTS headrest removal (model/yr not specified): http://www.ehow.com/how_5905651_remo...drest-cts.html?
    First time I've seen it- thanks!!

Dragonwycke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

Apparently the instructions do not apply to 2012 rear seat back. Either that or I'm way weaker than I thought. Could not push any 'pins'- I think the headrests are a weld in internally. Thanks anyway- still trying.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Other than major surgery I don't think it is possible to have a quick and dirty solution.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwycke View Post
    Apparently the instructions do not apply to 2012 rear seat back. Either that or I'm way weaker than I thought. Could not push any 'pins'- I think the headrests are a weld in internally. Thanks anyway- still trying.
    Those instructions refer to the front headrests for a 1st gen CTS.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

I'm tall, so every time I want the LH rear seat back folded forward, I have to run the power seat forward. It's a boring exercise after having 2 Chevy Equinoxes that allowed me to just pull them off and set them on the floor. If I can get the LH off, I'll just disable the latch so it works like a Chevrolet.

Personally, if I were you and I owned my car I would cut it off. Whose car is it!!!

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Okay, I went at it one more time. Here's the procedure:

Facing the front of the rear headrest, reach under it and pry the plastic bezels on top of the seat that surround the headrest shafts upward until they pop off the plastic support tubes inside the seat.

Under them you will see a half inch wide by eighth inch high release silver "button" to be pressed in order to release the headrest.

To disable the spring loaded release mechanism before reinstalling the headrest, insert a small screwdriver between the silver edge that slips into the headrest shaft (to lock the headrest) and the plastic retainer above it and pry upward gently until the spring loaded "button" pops out.

The screwdriver is shown inserted in both pics below but the camera flash made the end of the screw driver glow, sorry.

Thanks for that, hauler. I have seen some folks complain about the rear headrest in their wagons and were too lazy to even attempt a removal. Up to now no one has dared to go where no man has gone before. Good for you. I'm going to copy that and put in in my CTS Knowledgebase, which, by the way, I am more than willing to share with anyone here on our Forum. If anyone requests a copy, PM me your real email address so I can send it to you. It can't be "PM'd".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.