Transmission and transfer case issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Transmission and transfer case issues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I bought my 08 CTS4 DI about two years ago with 17,000 miles on it. The car now has 85,000 ...
    Clort is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Transmission and transfer case issues

I bought my 08 CTS4 DI about two years ago with 17,000 miles on it. The car now has 85,000 miles on it which are 85% highway miles at 70 MPH. Recently a whining noise develop going from about 15 MPH to 30 MPH that sounded like it was coming from the front differential/transfer case. I first had it into the Cadillac garage and they found metal shavings in the front differential so they replace that first. I got the car back and the noise was still there. I took it back to them and told them the same whine noise was happening and they diagnosed it as the output shaft coming from the transmission and the input shaft to the transfer case had been stripped. I am wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what may have caused this? Glad to say that everything was covered under the powertrain warranty!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Transmission and transfer case issues

Hi Clort,

After you took it back to your dealer for the second time, did the noise stop? I just wanted to follow up and confirm that the issue has been resolved! Very happy to hear your repairs were covered under warranty.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Clort is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Katie -
    I have been fighting this issue for over 15,000 miles now. The noise was not fixed with the second repair. The same garage still has the car and has had it for 3 weeks now for the same issue. They have replaced the axles, transfer case, transmission, front differential, rear differential, output shaft from transmission and looked
    over the engine to see what the issue might be. During the second visit they brought to my attention that the two rear tires were two millimeters different in the
    wear and that could be causing the issue (At this time the front tires were brand new run flat Michelin's pilot hx MXM4 run flats with about 5,000 miles on them).
    I had them change the tires to see if it worked and needless to say that did not fix the issue.
    On the third visit which is still on going they finally called me today and told me that they believe they have found the issue. After they brought in a GM rep to
    inspect the car they decided that the two rear tires, which are the run flat tires, are causing the issue in the transfer case. They are telling me that since they
    are different tires from the front that they are causing the transfer case to engage and disengage which is causing the noise in the transfer case.
    Best part of this issue is that after they provided me with a free rental car for the last 3 weeks and changing parts out of my car with a similar 08 CTS to find out what the issue is they tell me that it is not covered under the powertrain warranty and that I owe about $7000 in costs. He then followed that with Cadillac is wiling to cover most of the $7000 and the garage is going to pick up the majority of the rest of it and this will only cost me about $1100. I told them that there is no way that the tires can be causing the issue and to go ahead and put the tires on the car and I will come test drive it with the head mechanic before paying anything on this car.
    My car now has 97,000 miles on it and the powertrain warranty is just about to be over with. I am certainly on my last leg with Cadillac along with this garage.
    Travel for my job and it won't take me 3 weeks to drive 3,000 miles. If this is a situation where they are just putting a bandage over the issue just to get me off the powertrain warranty I will certainly be taking my business elsewhere. I understand that hearing this from one individual may not raise that many eyebrows,
    however, if I am having these issues I am certain that there are other people that are having these issues as well.

Thank you for your follow up-
    Clort

I'm so sorry to hear this, Clort! General Motors takes comments like this very seriously, and I have documented your concern along with your comments in an area where many GM departments can access it. If you'd like me to investigate further, I'd be happy to; please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. To be able to research further, I would need your full name, VIN, involved dealership info, address, and phone.

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Somehow Cadillac should "make good" on this issue regardless of mileage, even once you have passed the 100k mark. And this should be in writing as well. Just like real estate, get it in writing, because (as my General Manager once told me when I briefly sold cars), "When their lips are moving they're lying."

D. Smith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

My transfer case just went out last week (July 2013). I have a 08 CTS with 98,000 miles on it. I have been told although I haven’t reached 100,000 miles on it; the powertrain warranty expired in Dec 2012. My problem with this is if it is a problem the company should at least extend the repair service for this problem. This was my first Cadillac and I really enjoyed this car, but I had no warning something was going bad until it did. This might be my last Cadillac.

323cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Sorry i dont really know how to post. so i jump to this one. im looking into the 05 cts-v and i was hoping to get some advise about the car. how is it? is it faster than the 02 camaro ss. im driving a 2002 z28 camaro and im tired of these cars keeps breaking down on me its my 2nd one so need a new car. so hoping the cts-v cadillac is the right way to go. also is the cts-v faster than the 5generation camaro ss. thanks for reading

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Thinking out of the box here!

When a transfer case pukes and dies, could a person pull the AWD fuse and continue to drive it? I don't have a problem with mine, just wondering for other folks.

Marv

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Smith
    My transfer case just went out last week (July 2013). I have a 08 CTS with 98,000 miles on it. I have been told although I haven’t reached 100,000 miles on it; the powertrain warranty expired in Dec 2012. My problem with this is if it is a problem the company should at least extend the repair service for this problem. This was my first Cadillac and I really enjoyed this car, but I had no warning something was going bad until it did. This might be my last Cadillac.
    Warranties are based on year or mileage. Whichever comes first. No secret about that.

You obviously hit the years before the miles. It's not like your warranty JUST expired. Your warranty expired almost 8 months ago! Why do you feel compelled that they should cover this?

It would be nice of them to provide goodwill. I have run into this before where the company will pay for parts and you pay for labor, but they don't have to do this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by 323cadillac View Post
    Sorry i dont really know how to post. so i jump to this one. im looking into the 05 cts-v and i was hoping to get some advise about the car. how is it? is it faster than the 02 camaro ss. im driving a 2002 z28 camaro and im tired of these cars keeps breaking down on me its my 2nd one so need a new car. so hoping the cts-v cadillac is the right way to go. also is the cts-v faster than the 5generation camaro ss. thanks for reading
    Take a look at where you are posting. Drill down into the model year and the model you are interested. This is the 2008-2014 Standard CTS. You have the wrong generation and the wrong model here.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Warranties are based on year or mileage. Whichever comes first. No secret about that.

You obviously hit the years before the miles. It's not like your warranty JUST expired. Your warranty expired almost 8 months ago! Why do you feel compelled that they should cover this?

It would be nice of them to provide goodwill. I have run into this before where the company will pay for parts and you pay for labor, but they don't have to do this.
    I have to agree. If your warranty expired in June, then maybe you might get some help. I don't see it happening in your case. Unfortunate. But you should at least give it a go with your dealer in a kindly fashion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Smith View Post
    Hello D. Smith,

I understand your frustration when it comes to warranty parameters. Warranty coverage are based on year and mileage parameters, whichever is reached first. I am sorry you are experiencing what it seems to be a transmission issue with your CTS. Can you private message me and include your VIN? I would like to further discuss this concern with you and explore our options from there.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

bandrae is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Premium
    I thought I read somewhere that the warranties were extended for the '08s due to timing chain issues.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Only the warranty on the timing chain was extended. Nothing else.

OnboardError is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Same exact thing happen to me... Tranny and transfer case issue... Check here....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-happened.html

R Kurtz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

I own a CTS4 DI 2008 with about 70,000 miles The transfer case/transmission splines just failed and I am told it will cost thousands to repair this catastrophic failure. (The transfer case with installation is nearly $2,000 and this was before it was discovered that the output shaft of the transmission is also stripped requiring a replacement or a rebuild of the transmission.) There is TSB on exactly this exact failure (TSB 10-07-03-005A dated in the year 2010). I am a engineer with an advanced degree. Splining only fails for design/execution failures or metallurgical failure. Has there been talk of a recall rather than have loyal owners pay thousands of dollars as a result of this defect? I have owned GM cars for >30 years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.