Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I haven't tried installing the USB, but I have the full wiring. I will give it a try after getting ...
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts

re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

I haven't tried installing the USB, but I have the full wiring. I will give it a try after getting the HDD back next week. Also i cannot figure how to remove the armrest. I guess i have to do research or maybe run it to glove box. I will send a pic of the wires of the USB.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 1968vert View Post
    I thought I would update my progress. I bought an amp that came out of a cts-v that had the extra plug. I went to my local dealer and got the extra connector I needed. I compared the connector pin-outs between the base and the premium systems. Turns out that almost all the wires going to the amp had to be re-pinned. On top of that, quite a few circuits had to be added. After a days work, I completed the install. I now have working navigation and sound in a base cts. Total cost was a little over $600.
    Great work - I have been trying to get GM to replace my Bose radio with the NAV radio - I suspect this wont get too far and I have been working with Customer Care on it. I guess one of the main reasons its such a big deal is that there is no formal procedural docs for the mechanics to follow to make all the connections for power and to interface with the various computer modules that tell the car it has a NAV. I thought my upgrade would be a little easier with me having the upgraded Bose radio already and just replacing the head unit. I have a 12 Performance Coupe and I decided against getting the NAV and got all the Lux options instead. As you know you cant get both with the Performance model. I had the NAV with my prior 08 CTS.

Rdecrane5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyspi View Post
    I haven't tried installing the USB, but I have the full wiring. I will give it a try after getting the HDD back next week. Also i cannot figure how to remove the armrest. I guess i have to do research or maybe run it to glove box. I will send a pic of the wires of the USB.
    Did you buy the whole console harness or the one out of the Chevy trucks and SUVs? Can you post a picture of what you got?

this is the 08 cadillac cts USB full harness. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images

Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

Ok my new AMP is on the way i paid $100 total including shipping, my radio hdd will be here today. I will install the USB and let you guys know if it works.

Ok I got my Hdd back and installed it and the USB. I ran into a few problems. The display does want to go up, the USB starts to read and then get device not supported, and last no sound. I know that I was warned about the no sound issue and my new AMP will be here tomorrow. I need help with the screen. I don't know why it isn't going up and down. Please help someone.

1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyspi View Post
    Ok I got my Hdd back and installed it and the USB. I ran into a few problems. The display does want to go up, the USB starts to read and then get device not supported, and last no sound. I know that I was warned about the no sound issue and my new AMP will be here tomorrow. I need help with the screen. I don't know why it isn't going up and down. Please help someone.
    Do you have power going to the display and the motorized part of it? Ground? Pin 1 on both X1 and X2 Of the radio/hvac display pinout neets power. I got power for one from splicing into pin 44 of X1 radio connector. The other power I spliced into a pink wire on the driver side instrument panel bolt access cover on the side of the dash. I grounded them to one of the studs that hold the shifter down. You'll also need to run a GM LAM from the center dash display connector pin 8 to the 14th pin in the 44 pin connector. You'll probably have to pick up some terminals. I'll post up schemetics. Did you make your own harness?

pinouts
    Attached Images

schematics
    Attached Images

Hear are some part numbers that you'll need for the amp and terminals:
    15136074 is the fourth amp connector
    SAITS-A03T-M064 I'd probably get 15 of these. They are the terminals for the above connector and you'll need them for the radio connector.
    8100-4444 in tray 22. I needed a couple of them for the 8 pin amp connector
    8240-0127 in tray22. These are for the second amp connector. I forgot how many you need but get a few extra to be safe.

Thanks 1968vert but the amp as the connectors and pigtails. The nav screen shows the info but the screen wouldn't go up and down. everything is grounded and connected. I tapped into the 44 pin connector for power and ground. Did i do something wrong? I did make the pigtail they were from another CTS. I took the screen out and it worked but put it in and it doesn't, not sure I will take some pics and show you what i got.

What do you see on the screen? When my screen is down, it shows a black background with six tabs. Sorry it's been a year since I did that part of the install. I like you constructed my own harness. Maybe it thinks it's in a certain position it's not supposed to be in. I check the schematics and see if I can figure anything out. You'll need a few of those SAITS terminals from above unless you have a pigtail for that too. I had to add 5 new circuits to the 44 pin connector for the amp.

you can try to retrace the wires. The two 8 pin connectors on the schematics are Radio/HVAC display X1 and X2. X1 is the black one. The 44 pin connector is Radio X1 and the 20 pin radio connector is Radio X4. Retrace them so that they go to their correct location:

Display X1= pin 1 (Og) is power, pin 2 (BLK) is ground, pin 3 (OG) is a COAX but I don't see where it goes, pin 4 (WH) goes to Pin 43 Radio X1, pin 5 looks empty, pin 6 (bare) goes to pin 5 Radio X4, Pin 7 (TN) goes to pin 9 X4, pin 8 (YE) goes to pin 19 X4. The last three are wrapped in shielding.

Display X2= Pin 1 (OG) is power, pin 2 (BLK) is ground, pin 3 (WH) gets spliced together with pin 4 from Display X1, pin 4 (YE) goes to pin 4 of X4, pin 5 (YE) goes to pin 13 of X4, the rest look empty.

hope that helps.

I think I know what the problem is. I connect the 2 power wires from display x1 & x2 to radio 44 pin 44. I think it might not have much power for both on the same wire. I will try to connect to different power source. You said that you got the other power from driver side and it was a pink wire?. Would that be the side panel by the drivers door?

The wire is actually red and white, sorry my bad. I think its the same one that comes out of pin 44

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.