Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS - Page 16
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 385
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by zach2011 Also what all screws/bolts/clips did you guys have to get in order to get the screen ...
  1. #226
    1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Also what all screws/bolts/clips did you guys have to get in order to get the screen installed? Are there sufficient bolts just using the previous ones or are new ones needed?
    I use to work in a ford truck factory, that's where I got mine. There are a couple of clips and bolts needed for the display. Like rudeboy said, parts store or try the dealer. Im sure ford and chrysler use the same ones since mine came from a ford. As far as testing, you could do that but I think it's just wasting time. You'll won't get audio and none of the functions will work unless it's unlocked.

  2. #227
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968vert View Post

    I use to work in a ford truck factory, that's where I got mine. There are a couple of clips and bolts needed for the display. Like rudeboy said, parts store or try the dealer. Im sure ford and chrysler use the same ones since mine came from a ford. As far as testing, you could do that but I think it's just wasting time. You'll won't get audio and none of the functions will work unless it's unlocked.
    All you would get is a screen says "locked", i got after starting my install and ha to drive around for a few days with no sound. It was a little funny.

  3. #228
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    I meant after it was unlocked but before I spliced any wires. And my dad owns a body shop and they just worked on some 2010 Tahoes and a 2003 CTS so I'm pretty sure we'll have some bolts that'll fit. Just didn't know if the non-nav radio screen had enough bolts to suffice.

    My stuff gets here Tuesday, but I'll still have to mail off the radio so it's looking like I may not get everything done or even started before my vacation next month. Hopefully the radio checks out fine with global-auto-tech.

  4. #229
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Got all my stuff in today. Came in two huge heavy boxes and I was baffled as to why. Looks like they sent me the entire interior main body harness for the car! Every radio connection is there, with all harnesses between the radio and screen, instrument panel, what even looks like the fog light wiring, USB/AUX harness, EVERYTHING out of the interior.

    Because of having access to my dad's body shop I can easily just have the main harness swapped...or should I just cut the connectors and follow the wiring directions? Still haven't gotten a soldering iron for that part.

  5. #230
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    154
    Hey 1968vert ,
    Did you get a chance to run a independent wires for the tweeters? If you did how does it sound?

  6. #231
    1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Got all my stuff in today. Came in two huge heavy boxes and I was baffled as to why. Looks like they sent me the entire interior main body harness for the car! Every radio connection is there, with all harnesses between the radio and screen, instrument panel, what even looks like the fog light wiring, USB/AUX harness, EVERYTHING out of the interior.

    Because of having access to my dad's body shop I can easily just have the main harness swapped...or should I just cut the connectors and follow the wiring directions? Still haven't gotten a soldering iron for that part.
    Swapping the main harness would probably require taking the interior apart and taking the dash board out and apart. This will most likely lead to squeaks and rattles once it's are back together later.

  7. #232
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Yeah it's a big job that I don't think I want done. Although there is a small rattle I'd like to get taken care of, this will not be worth that. I'm just a bit nervous about cutting the wires at the connectors I guess!

    This might be a dumb question, but how do I remove the wires from the connectors? Do they pull straight out without tearing or is there a trick?

    Just dropped my radio off for unlocking, can't wait to get it back in and start working! In the meantime, I installed all the CTS-V pieces I received. It looks nice! The process took almost 2 hours but that was because I had to swap the screen, all the buttons, and ashtray over on the surround. If someone were to order a surround with all the same buttons/features the whole process would be very short. I purchased the shifter and steering wheel to go with it, they should come in sometime this week.


  8. #233
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Yeah it's a big job that I don't think I want done. Although there is a small rattle I'd like to get taken care of, this will not be worth that. I'm just a bit nervous about cutting the wires at the connectors I guess!

    This might be a dumb question, but how do I remove the wires from the connectors? Do they pull straight out without tearing or is there a trick?

    Just dropped my radio off for unlocking, can't wait to get it back in and start working! In the meantime, I installed all the CTS-V pieces I received. It looks nice! The process took almost 2 hours but that was because I had to swap the screen, all the buttons, and ashtray over on the surround. If someone were to order a surround with all the same buttons/features the whole process would be very short. I purchased the shifter and steering wheel to go with it, they should come in sometime this week.
    You have to remove the safety clip from the connector to remove the pins. Yes it is a trick.

  9. #234
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    1968vert, in the info you sent me, you wrote that the display connectors X1 and X2 need their orange wires spliced. I understand that part, but what about the rest of the wires?? I looked at the harnesses and each connector has multiple wires and not just a single orange wire. Surely I don't leave those all cut and not connected.

  10. #235
    1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    1968vert, in the info you sent me, you wrote that the display connectors X1 and X2 need their orange wires spliced. I understand that part, but what about the rest of the wires?? I looked at the harnesses and each connector has multiple wires and not just a single orange wire. Surely I don't leave those all cut and not connected.
    The wire diagram shows where all the wires go. Pretty much all those wires for the display will have to be added, either by making a harness with your new pigtails or swapping the new harness over. You have to follow the diagram.

  11. #236
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Great. Lol. I didn't even think about that part. I guess I assumed all the wiring would be present and we would only be adding what you highlighted in the PDF.

    Just to see if I am reading the diagram correctly, let's do an example. Display X2 pin 4 goes to radio X4 pin 4? And display X2 pin 5 goes to radio X4 pin 5? I am just following the lines straight down so I am assuming that's correct but would just like to confirm.

    Or how hard would it be to swap that part of the harness over? I have the whole thing and can unwrap it if needed.

  12. #237
    1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Great. Lol. I didn't even think about that part. I guess I assumed all the wiring would be present and we would only be adding what you highlighted in the PDF.

    Just to see if I am reading the diagram correctly, let's do an example. Display X2 pin 4 goes to radio X4 pin 4? And display X2 pin 5 goes to radio X4 pin 5? I am just following the lines straight down so I am assuming that's correct but would just like to confirm.

    Or how hard would it be to swap that part of the harness over? I have the whole thing and can unwrap it if needed.
    The display has a total of 3 connectors: x1, x2, x3. X1 looks like it has a total of 7 wires in the diagram. Pin 1 (orange) gets splice with the power wire coming out of the radio (pin 44 i believe). Pin 2 (blk/wht) goes to ground. Pin 4 (wht) goes to pin 43 in the radio. Pin 7, ,6 ,and 8 get wrapped in shielding and go to the radios x4 pin 9, 19, 8. The X2 from the display has 5 wires: Pin 1 (orange) goes to power. Pin 2 ground. Pin 4 an 5 (ye and ye) goes to pin 4 and 13 in the radios x4. pin 3 (wht) gets spliced with the wht out of x1 (pin 3).

  13. #238
    zach2011's Avatar
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    264

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    Thanks! It appears I have read it wrong then. I will study it and write down the connections needed.

  14. #239
    bojangle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    125

    Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

    My unit came with out the pigtails. I've tried searching for any info on where to get them or part numbers. Any one know any of the harness' part numbers, where to get them or how I can find any? just sent the hard drive off to get unlocked and would like to get the install started when it comes back. thank you for this post as it has been something I've wanted to try for a long time.. Lots of good info here. ESP 1968VERT. thank you. I did a how to on installing a back up cam to keep the factory set up. i know the it's not easy keeping the post going.

  15. #240
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
    My unit came with out the pigtails. I've tried searching for any info on where to get them or part numbers. Any one know any of the harness' part numbers, where to get them or how I can find any? just sent the hard drive off to get unlocked and would like to get the install started when it comes back. thank you for this post as it has been something I've wanted to try for a long time.. Lots of good info here. ESP 1968VERT. thank you. I did a how to on installing a back up cam to keep the factory set up. i know the it's not easy keeping the post going.
    Hey bojangles your best bet would be junk yard or search ebay. It will be hard but should be able to find something, the dealer only carry that usb type wire that connect the hdd to screen and it cost over $400. So check with junk yards and good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting