Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Got all my stuff in today. Came in two huge heavy boxes and I was baffled as to why. Looks ...
    zach2011 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

Got all my stuff in today. Came in two huge heavy boxes and I was baffled as to why. Looks like they sent me the entire interior main body harness for the car! Every radio connection is there, with all harnesses between the radio and screen, instrument panel, what even looks like the fog light wiring, USB/AUX harness, EVERYTHING out of the interior.

Because of having access to my dad's body shop I can easily just have the main harness swapped...or should I just cut the connectors and follow the wiring directions? Still haven't gotten a soldering iron for that part.

rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Hey 1968vert ,
    Did you get a chance to run a independent wires for the tweeters? If you did how does it sound?

1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    Got all my stuff in today. Came in two huge heavy boxes and I was baffled as to why. Looks like they sent me the entire interior main body harness for the car! Every radio connection is there, with all harnesses between the radio and screen, instrument panel, what even looks like the fog light wiring, USB/AUX harness, EVERYTHING out of the interior.

Because of having access to my dad's body shop I can easily just have the main harness swapped...or should I just cut the connectors and follow the wiring directions? Still haven't gotten a soldering iron for that part.
    Swapping the main harness would probably require taking the interior apart and taking the dash board out and apart. This will most likely lead to squeaks and rattles once it's are back together later.

Yeah it's a big job that I don't think I want done. Although there is a small rattle I'd like to get taken care of, this will not be worth that. I'm just a bit nervous about cutting the wires at the connectors I guess!

This might be a dumb question, but how do I remove the wires from the connectors? Do they pull straight out without tearing or is there a trick?

Just dropped my radio off for unlocking, can't wait to get it back in and start working! In the meantime, I installed all the CTS-V pieces I received. It looks nice! The process took almost 2 hours but that was because I had to swap the screen, all the buttons, and ashtray over on the surround. If someone were to order a surround with all the same buttons/features the whole process would be very short. I purchased the shifter and steering wheel to go with it, they should come in sometime this week.

Yeah it's a big job that I don't think I want done. Although there is a small rattle I'd like to get taken care of, this will not be worth that. I'm just a bit nervous about cutting the wires at the connectors I guess!

This might be a dumb question, but how do I remove the wires from the connectors? Do they pull straight out without tearing or is there a trick?

Just dropped my radio off for unlocking, can't wait to get it back in and start working! In the meantime, I installed all the CTS-V pieces I received. It looks nice! The process took almost 2 hours but that was because I had to swap the screen, all the buttons, and ashtray over on the surround. If someone were to order a surround with all the same buttons/features the whole process would be very short. I purchased the shifter and steering wheel to go with it, they should come in sometime this week.
    You have to remove the safety clip from the connector to remove the pins. Yes it is a trick.

1968vert, in the info you sent me, you wrote that the display connectors X1 and X2 need their orange wires spliced. I understand that part, but what about the rest of the wires?? I looked at the harnesses and each connector has multiple wires and not just a single orange wire. Surely I don't leave those all cut and not connected.

1968vert, in the info you sent me, you wrote that the display connectors X1 and X2 need their orange wires spliced. I understand that part, but what about the rest of the wires?? I looked at the harnesses and each connector has multiple wires and not just a single orange wire. Surely I don't leave those all cut and not connected.
    The wire diagram shows where all the wires go. Pretty much all those wires for the display will have to be added, either by making a harness with your new pigtails or swapping the new harness over. You have to follow the diagram.

Great. Lol. I didn't even think about that part. I guess I assumed all the wiring would be present and we would only be adding what you highlighted in the PDF.

Just to see if I am reading the diagram correctly, let's do an example. Display X2 pin 4 goes to radio X4 pin 4? And display X2 pin 5 goes to radio X4 pin 5? I am just following the lines straight down so I am assuming that's correct but would just like to confirm.

Or how hard would it be to swap that part of the harness over? I have the whole thing and can unwrap it if needed.

Great. Lol. I didn't even think about that part. I guess I assumed all the wiring would be present and we would only be adding what you highlighted in the PDF.

Just to see if I am reading the diagram correctly, let's do an example. Display X2 pin 4 goes to radio X4 pin 4? And display X2 pin 5 goes to radio X4 pin 5? I am just following the lines straight down so I am assuming that's correct but would just like to confirm.

Or how hard would it be to swap that part of the harness over? I have the whole thing and can unwrap it if needed.
    The display has a total of 3 connectors: x1, x2, x3. X1 looks like it has a total of 7 wires in the diagram. Pin 1 (orange) gets splice with the power wire coming out of the radio (pin 44 i believe). Pin 2 (blk/wht) goes to ground. Pin 4 (wht) goes to pin 43 in the radio. Pin 7, ,6 ,and 8 get wrapped in shielding and go to the radios x4 pin 9, 19, 8. The X2 from the display has 5 wires: Pin 1 (orange) goes to power. Pin 2 ground. Pin 4 an 5 (ye and ye) goes to pin 4 and 13 in the radios x4. pin 3 (wht) gets spliced with the wht out of x1 (pin 3).

Thanks! It appears I have read it wrong then. I will study it and write down the connections needed.

bojangle is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

My unit came with out the pigtails. I've tried searching for any info on where to get them or part numbers. Any one know any of the harness' part numbers, where to get them or how I can find any? just sent the hard drive off to get unlocked and would like to get the install started when it comes back. thank you for this post as it has been something I've wanted to try for a long time.. Lots of good info here. ESP 1968VERT. thank you. I did a how to on installing a back up cam to keep the factory set up. i know the it's not easy keeping the post going.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
    My unit came with out the pigtails. I've tried searching for any info on where to get them or part numbers. Any one know any of the harness' part numbers, where to get them or how I can find any? just sent the hard drive off to get unlocked and would like to get the install started when it comes back. thank you for this post as it has been something I've wanted to try for a long time.. Lots of good info here. ESP 1968VERT. thank you. I did a how to on installing a back up cam to keep the factory set up. i know the it's not easy keeping the post going.
    Hey bojangles your best bet would be junk yard or search ebay. It will be hard but should be able to find something, the dealer only carry that usb type wire that connect the hdd to screen and it cost over $400. So check with junk yards and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyspi View Post
    Hey bojangles your best bet would be junk yard or search ebay. It will be hard but should be able to find something, the dealer only carry that usb type wire that connect the hdd to screen and it cost over $400. So check with junk yards and good luck.
    I called several junk yards but no one keeps or sells harness' let alone the pigtails. Fleabay has been a bust too. crazy to think people that work and install this shit at shops refuse to do it but it can be done by regular people. RUDEBOYSPI seems like you came quite a way to, I've been follow this forum taking notes on what and where to wire. as well as the manual I have. only thing stopping me is getting the harness'. sucks balls. thanks for the responses so far btw

Bojangle, when I bought my nav setup they sent me an enormous harness. From looking at it, there is no small harness for behind the radio. Everything is wired into the big harness they sent me, which when I ran the part number ran for $700. So you will definitely just have to find the pigtails or find that main interior harness but it will be expensive. I got lucky that they sent me that for no extra charge.

Bojangle, when I bought my nav setup they sent me an enormous harness. From looking at it, there is no small harness for behind the radio. Everything is wired into the big harness they sent me, which when I ran the part number ran for $700. So you will definitely just have to find the pigtails or find that main interior harness but it will be expensive. I got lucky that they sent me that for no extra charge.
    what was the part number?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.