Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by zach2011 I see. Thanks for the info. I plan on ordering the parts today or tomorrow, setting ...
    rudeboyspi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts
    Quote Originally Posted by zach2011 View Post
    I see. Thanks for the info. I plan on ordering the parts today or tomorrow, setting it up in the dash myself and then taking it to a professional shop to have them do the wiring for me. I've never wired anything before so I wouldn't trust myself with it lol.
    Good luck getting a shop to do it for you. When i start my project i bought everything and took it to a few shops and was told it wasn't possible. They all turned me down included the dealer. Then i saw that 1968vert did it and the i did it. I laugh at those dealers and stereo shops. I didn't pay anyone and it worked out great.

----------

Good luck getting a shop to do it for you. When i start my project i bought everything and took it to a few shops and was told it wasn't possible. They all turned me down included the dealer. Then i saw that 1968vert did it and the i did it. I laugh at those dealers and stereo shops. I didn't pay anyone and it worked out great.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Re: Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

Yeah and that's awesome for you but like I said I have never wired anything before. None of the instructions in this thread made any sense to me lol. I know a few people who can look at the instructions here and know exactly what to do, but it might be a while before I would be able to get them to help.

My brother used to co-own the shop I'd be taking it to, so there's a chance they'd try it for me even if it does cost a little.

bojangle is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts

any one know where I can get the PIN OUTS or know the part#'s for them? thanks for any help. already ordered the 4 harness amp and screen set up.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
    any one know where I can get the PIN OUTS or know the part#'s for them? thanks for any help. already ordered the 4 harness amp and screen set up.
    You need to get a gm Manuel for the car.

I have a manual for the car. I was wondering where you buy the parts at?

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyspi View Post
    You need to get a gm Manuel for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
    I have a manual for the car. I was wondering where you buy the parts at?

I got my parts from ebay, i also get the unlocker on ebay also for the hdd. My parts came from one source. The car was total and they sell me all wiring and parts. Sorry i dont have part numbers. Lucky they gave me the wiring for free.

----------

I got my parts from ebay, i also get the unlocker on ebay also for the hdd. My parts came from one source. The car was total and they sell me all wiring and parts. Sorry i dont have part numbers. Lucky they gave me the wiring for free.
    Hey bojangle did you have a mercedes benz, your name seems to ring a bell.

[/COLOR]

Hey bojangle did you have a mercedes benz, your name seems to ring a bell.
    No sir. no mercedes. I just got my set up the screen, drive, and amp. I just need to find the amp harness' and the pins for the harness'.

Is there not any way to power the screen through a factory wiring harness? I know the CTS cars that have factory nav don't have it spliced and grounded this way, it all connects to a harness behind the radio. Just wondering if getting the whole harness will allow us to power the display without having to do any splicing.

1968vert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is there not any way to power the screen through a factory wiring harness? I know the CTS cars that have factory nav don't have it spliced and grounded this way, it all connects to a harness behind the radio. Just wondering if getting the whole harness will allow us to power the display without having to do any splicing.
    the cars that came from the factory with Nav had a different harness. There is no need to replace your harness with a Nav harness. By getting the required pigtails, It is much easier, IMO, to make a harness and tap into a couple of 12v ignition supply circuits. To swap harnesses, you most likely have to pull the dash out. If you can read a wire diagram and connector pinout, you should be able to do this swap.

Here's the thing that I am stuck on. This thread is 13 pages long as of now, but most of it seems to have been spent diagnosing the no sound issue and rudeboi's issue with the voice guidance wiring. There is no constructed step-by-step write up on what exactly to do just to get the nav itself working.

I think it would be extremely beneficial to the forum to have a "stickied" thread on a how-to. Because right now there are so many instructions on many different things spread out over the 13 pages that at least to me it's very hard to tell what I need to do.

What would help me personally is if you answered me this. I have the required nav parts, the premium sub is already there, let's say I have my old radio out and I'm ready to start the wiring. What wires do I run, from where to where?

1.) What and where do I ground?
    2.) VSS wire goes from the engine compartment to .. ?
    3.) IGN wire goes from the 44-pin receiver cable to the display? You mentioned two power sources - do we need two?
    4.) Voice guidance wire goes from where to where?

To me it seems like the radio and display hook up fine but the display needs IGN power to raise/lower, the radio needs a VSS signal for nav, and voice guidance needs to be wired from radio to amp. Am I missing anything? This is what I have gathered from reading the 13 pages over and over.

You really need to get a gm service manual to fully grasp and understand the aspects of the swap. The manual has all the wire schematics and connector pinouts. I tried to post as much schematics and pinouts I could, but a manual is still a must. I agree, a step by step sticky would be great but with how long the swap took and trying to diagnose issues with the swap, it would've been very time consuming to document every step of the swap. I don't think anyone is willing to tear there swap out just to document everything. My swap isn't even completely done yet ( no voice guidance or chimes and turn
    signals). The thread was meant to help others attempt the swap. I have no problem helping out with questions regarding the swap. The swap really isn't that hard once you understand the stereos wiring.
    As far as your questions go, the ground goes to any clean metal (no paint) on the body. The vss goes to a connector that is atop the driver valve cover (once you get a manual you'll understand why). There is a wire in the connector that comes straight from the abs module. Rudeboi said that he didn't tap into a vss signal and his still worked. For the power, I followed the factory schematics, quick was seperate power sources. Maybe you can get away with just one, just make sure it IGN and not constant or your dispay will stay on when you power the car off. I can't help with the voice guidance yet. Hope that helps and good luck

That does help, thank you again. I bought a service manual per your recommendation, it's hard to sort through but I do have one now. I definitely understand not wanting to rip apart the install to document it as that could mess something up. I will do my best to do the install myself and when I do, I will document it to make a step by step to possibly merge with this thread. Haven't located the pinouts in my service manual (it is huge but not GM-made) so I am still searching.

From what I gather, the nav head unit plugs up and powers on just fine, so the display is the only thing I have to supply IGN/ground to?

Finally got the funds to purchase my set up so I will be doing that tomorrow but I'll be missing a couple things like the GPS antenna for right now. But that seems like an easy part to add in there later. I really just want the nav for the touchscreen interface. My Chrysler 300 had an 8.4" touchscreen whether or not you had nav and using this scroll knob to sort through my music is so annoying!

One generic question I have about the wiring is, I've never soldered before so is there a way I can splice wires and attach them to the connectors without having to use a soldering iron? Such as crimping.

The help is much much much appreciated. Hopefully you won't want to kill me after all my questions! lol

That does help, thank you again. I bought a service manual per your recommendation, it's hard to sort through but I do have one now. I definitely understand not wanting to rip apart the install to document it as that could mess something up. I will do my best to do the install myself and when I do, I will document it to make a step by step to possibly merge with this thread. Haven't located the pinouts in my service manual (it is huge but not GM-made) so I am still searching.

From what I gather, the nav head unit plugs up and powers on just fine, so the display is the only thing I have to supply IGN/ground to?

Finally got the funds to purchase my set up so I will be doing that tomorrow but I'll be missing a couple things like the GPS antenna for right now. But that seems like an easy part to add in there later. I really just want the nav for the touchscreen interface. My Chrysler 300 had an 8.4" touchscreen whether or not you had nav and using this scroll knob to sort through my music is so annoying!

One generic question I have about the wiring is, I've never soldered before so is there a way I can splice wires and attach them to the connectors without having to use a soldering iron? Such as crimping.

The help is much much much appreciated. Hopefully you won't want to kill me after all my questions! lol
    That's no problem at all. I'm always willing to help if needed. I'm currently doing a write up that I'll try to put in the DIY section. I've gotten alot of questions on the swap so hopefully that would be clearer to people. But, I do recommend that you try to buy a complete takeout out of a wreck or salvage yard. All the supporting pieces you'll have to buy (gps antennae) could break the bank. Also, before starting, you'll need to have the radio unlocked. You wouldn't want to install it and get the dreaded "locked" screen (like I did). To answer your question, I do recommend soldering (and heat shrink). This creates a permanent joint. Crimps can easily fail if not done right and can be a pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

Guess I'll have to learn how to solder then! I have found some great deals on the screen + head unit but some without harness and all without GPS antenna. For the time being I would be fine with no working nav until I found an affordable antenna, as this is mostly so I can navigate through my music library much easier. I think the antenna will be simple to install (unless it requires wire tapping?)

Was reading the thread again and looking at the pinouts/schematics...since I have the 10-speaker system I'm guessing I won't lose the door chimes/signals/etc and have to re-pin? Seems like all I have to do is:

Power and ground the display
    Tap into VSS for nav, which is optional
    Run a shielded wire for voice guidance

If I'm missing something please let me know. So 1968vert when you found the VSS wire where exactly did you run it to? I'm talking about which connector and pin you used. Looks to me like number 20 on "radio x4" 20-pin connector but just want to confirm.

Rudeboi can you tell me from where to where you ran the voice guidance wire? Is it just one single wire? Needing to know from both ends, which connector and which pin because I can't tell from the pinout screenshots.

Guess I'll have to learn how to solder then! I have found some great deals on the screen + head unit but some without harness and all without GPS antenna. For the time being I would be fine with no working nav until I found an affordable antenna, as this is mostly so I can navigate through my music library much easier. I think the antenna will be simple to install (unless it requires wire tapping?)

Was reading the thread again and looking at the pinouts/schematics...since I have the 10-speaker system I'm guessing I won't lose the door chimes/signals/etc and have to re-pin? Seems like all I have to do is:

Power and ground the display
    Tap into VSS for nav, which is optional
    Run a shielded wire for voice guidance

If I'm missing something please let me know. So 1968vert when you found the VSS wire where exactly did you run it to? I'm talking about which connector and pin you used. Looks to me like number 20 on "radio x4" 20-pin connector but just want to confirm.

Rudeboi can you tell me from where to where you ran the voice guidance wire? Is it just one single wire? Needing to know from both ends, which connector and which pin because I can't tell from the pinout screenshots.
    I dont remember, i would have to look it up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.