Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Successful navigation swap into a non Nav CTS

192K views 444 replies 72 participants last post by  Lancer1965 
#1 ·
Can we add OEM Nav system to 2010 CTS?

I have a 2010 CTS Sport Wagon and sorry I didn't get the nav system. Is it possible to have one installed so it looks factory installed? If so, where can I purchase one? Can the dealer do it?

#384 ·
NAV Upgrade Recommendation

I purchased a 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6L back in November 2014. Unfortunately the model I purchased does not have the built in navigation in the dashboard. I wanted to know if there is a way for me to get the navigation installed as it normally comes with the vehicle?

#385 ·
Re: Upgrade Recommendation

Welcome to the CTS forum!

As a new member, you should start by doing searches for your questions. Most topics have been discussed before, including this one. What you want to accomplish can be done, but at great expense and hair pulling.

Good Luck, Marv

#393 ·
This marathon thread keeps surfacing and staying on top. And I can't help but wonder why. I have the GM nav in my SRX, and it's simply terrible. Visually and technically. To spend thousands to get the cool pop-up screen to work just isn't worth the effort to get a sub-par nav with not very good media controls either.
Your phone in your pocket has better nav systems that have more features and are updated all the time for free. Even the DVD map updates are a joke. In this ever changing world by the time you burn and distribute the DVD, things have changed. Take hotels for example, they change ownership and names all the time. You never find the right hotel with GM maps if you search by destination or POI.

Although I'm not a big Mazda fan, they're new nav system is a partnership with one of the GPS manufacturers. Mazda isn't trying to do their own thing. And you update maps online and use a USB to auto update the car. Decent idea until the cars can auto update via wi-fi or cell signal.

Whether you like Google Maps, HERE Drive, Waze... many choices that are superior to the GM / CTS nav system. Even the simple process of typing in the destination is plainly tedious. Pick up your phone, ask google now, Siri, or Cortana to find your destination, and then select which nav app you prefer and boom you're done. I don't even have to take my hands off the wheel. Somebody please bury this thread so that others don't spend thousands for this dreadful CTS nav upgrade. ok... that's my rant for the day, let the flaming begin :)

#395 ·
Before the search button police give their .2 cents I have used it and read hundreds of post and none have been able to help me out.
I have a 2012 cts coupe with the bose system. I want to add a popup screen just for radio control and back uo camera "no NAVIGATION" can i just buy a popup scren off ebay and it will be plug and play?
Thanks in advance!

#397 ·
Hello All,

I have been researching this at length, for about a week or so while I go through this. I am wondering if anyone knows what part number I need to get for the wiring harness for the car? Or perhaps if anyone can tell me if I need a dash harness or a interior body harness?

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

#398 ·
Does anyone still have a full setup for sale?

Since gm-navigation has the full kit for $2200 I am hoping to find the parts for about half that and do the wiring myself.

As I am reading now we need the screen, nav unit, amp, gps, nav to screen cable, 4th amp plug, some wire and lots of patience.

I just bought a PDF service manual.

I have the 8 speaker bose system in my vehicle I am sure since it is a base vehicle. I have not looked up the RPO codes yet to be 100% sure.

Considering doing the Amp first since I assume it should work fine with the stock base radio. My car does have bluetooth already.

#400 ·
redheadedrod said:
Does anyone still have a full setup for sale? Since gm-navigation has the full kit for $2200 I am hoping to find the parts for about half that and do the wiring myself. As I am reading now we need the screen, nav unit, amp, gps, nav to screen cable, 4th amp plug, some wire and lots of patience. I just bought a PDF service manual. I have the 8 speaker bose system in my vehicle I am sure since it is a base vehicle. I have not looked up the RPO codes yet to be 100% sure. Considering doing the Amp first since I assume it should work fine with the stock base radio. My car does have bluetooth already.
Hey

Your standard radio will not work with the new amp because all the wiring is different and extra is also added.

#401 ·
Ok so your saying that the radio to amp interface is different? I was under the impression from reading all of these pages that they should be the same, just that the pinouts from the amplifier were different. Looked like I should be able to pull up the new amp, change the wires, rewire the speakers, add a couple speakers and add the additional wires needed to use the 10 speaker amp but you are saying it is not compatible with the base radio even after changing the wiring? I don't see any USB plugs in my car so I have to assume it is the base model radio.

I am still new here so trying to sort out what I need to do this swap before I decide to get started or if I want to head down this road.

Thanks a bunch!

Rodney

#402 ·
redheadedrod said:
Ok so your saying that the radio to amp interface is different? I was under the impression from reading all of these pages that they should be the same, just that the pinouts from the amplifier were different. Looked like I should be able to pull up the new amp, change the wires, rewire the speakers, add a couple speakers and add the additional wires needed to use the 10 speaker amp but you are saying it is not compatible with the base radio even after changing the wiring? I don't see any USB plugs in my car so I have to assume it is the base model radio. I am still new here so trying to sort out what I need to do this swap before I decide to get started or if I want to head down this road. Thanks a bunch! Rodney

I tired that and get no audio. It have something to do with the amp and the HDD.

#403 · (Edited)
Ahh Ok...

The gm-navigation upgrade kit is sounding better and better if it also includes the amp at their price...

Rodney

#404 ·
Wrote an ebay seller of Nav components and asked if they had wire harness to go with it because I plan to upgrade the system in my cts and the seller wrote back that I needed the ECU reprogrammed so I would be better off finding one locally.

I wrote back that information was in conflict with what I was told by numerous people that have already installed the units in their vehicles and I haven't gotten a response back yet.

Rodney

#405 · (Edited)
Just got done reading full thread and found the unit Dano has for sale.

However if I were to piece this out myself I am looking at the units I would need:
Radio looks like part number:
20904448 or 25979736 First being a '09 unit and second being an '08 unit. They looked the same otherwise?

Screen looks to be 25886534

USB for console is part 20877757 and need bracket 25814514 (I assume this replaces the AUX wire I have now)

Amplifier seems to be 20869451 or 25921142 (Shows first one fits '09 - '14 and second fits '08 - '09)

Other than the wire harness connectors I can't find the part number for the GPS.

Also can't find the number required for the face plate piece. I have Cashmere interior but I thought I read elsewhere that the pieces come apart and are interchangeable.

Rodney

#406 ·
Ok, cool, In process of getting a nav unit from a forum user... I will update what I have mentioned above once I receive the unit.

Going to try dumping the hard drive and documenting the hardware installed in the unit. Then install the unit into my car.

Should be interesting... Since I have some installation background it should be a reasonably easy job to do. Just time consuming.

Since I have bluetooth now I am assuming I will be able to tie into the mic. I bought a service manual for $10 but they just printed all of the stuff from the dvd. I found the DVD online that goes up through 2009 so I will use that thing... I had one already up through 2004 so this is a cool find. I can just update my data on the virtual computer I already have it on.

I really should try to figure out the data structure on that thing and build an application that can do it instead of that crappy web server.

I will start a new thread when I do this so it doesn't get lost. I could probably write a FAQ as well... Since I will also be tearing down the head unit too...

Rodney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.