2008+ and up CTS Transmission Fluid Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ATLANTA_CTS4
  • 2 Post By tinman
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008+ and up CTS Transmission Fluid Change in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; This is a quick write up for Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill procedure on 2nd GEN CTS. For you weekend ...
    ATLANTA_CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6L DI

2008+ and up CTS Transmission Fluid Change

This is a quick write up for Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill procedure on 2nd GEN CTS. For you weekend DYI folks that want to give your CTS a quick thank you, this is for you. Keep in mind this particular procedure is not a flush, there will still be about 1/3 of the old fluid left in the Tranny. There are some procedures to supplement this where you can add a hose to the Transmission cooler supply line, that will flush the old fluid into a bucket. I opted not to do this as my car is only at about 60,000 miles. I would recommend doing this, along with dropping the pan and a thorough cleaning with a new gasket at around 100,000 miles.

Materials Tools used:

~Oil/Fluid Hand Pump
    ~4.5 Quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF (Dexron VI)
    ~Oil Drain pan
    ~1/2 Socket Wrench
    ~7/8s wrench 3/8s ratchet
    ~2 Rhino Ramps
    ~Angled Panel Remover Tool/Flat Head screwdriver
    ~Telescopic Mirror

Here we Go:

Once you have the vehicle up on the ramps with your parking brake engaged, slide under the vehicle and locate the transmission, between the two exhaust lines. Fine the drain plug and ready your socket wrench to remove the drain plug, make sure you have your drain pain positioned directly under the tranny pan. I would advice wearing latex gloved and have a few shop towels nearby in case it gets messy. Loosen the drain plug with your wrench and then unscrew by hand. Allow all of the fluid to drain completely out, this make take a few minutes. Use this time to clean the drain plug with a paper towel.

The Next step is to use a flat head screw driver or in my case I used an angled panel tool to remove the top fill-plug from the side of the transmission. (It's a little challenging to get to to, as it is above one of the shafts leading into the transfer case)Pop the Plug up and remove. Clean the area around the fill hole with a shop towel to make sure no contaminates can fall into the hole when you go back to fill with your pump. Use your telescopic mirror to look around the opening of the hole.

Prepare your 5 quarts of ATF Transmission Fluid, and affix your pump nozzle and hose to the quart. Position your tube into the fill hole and begin pumping the fluid (remember, we have not put the drain plug back in at this point) Pump about half the quart into the fill hole, allowing it to drain through the pan. At this point put the drain plug back in and tighten all the way. Do not over-tighten.

No pump all off the quarts and 4 more. When you get to the half way point of your 4th quart, being pumping slowly. You do-not want to over fill the transmission, this can cause problems. You want to fill it to the point where the fluid begins to seep out of the opening. At this point remove the fill tube and insert the fill-plug back in to the top of the transmission fill hole.

Clean up your tools and work space. Start the vehicle and shift from park into all of the gears.

That's it! A quick transmission drain and fill keeping your CTS running smooth!

Merge likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Re: 2008+ and up CTS Transmission Fluid Change

Great write-up, Atlanta. Thanks for doing that. I noticed you also had a couple bottles of 75W90 gear lube on the work bench too. Did you change the diff gear lube also? What size and type of wrench socket did you use for the drain and fill plugs?

Hey Bandit, I'm doing a 2nd write up on my Diff fluid change...I should have that along with all the tools over the weekend posted. Def recommend doing this at the same time as your Transmission fluid change along with the transfer case fluid change.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Thanks Atlanta. Looking forward to it. Agree with you on the fluid(s) change out. I usually do the oil, transmission, diff, radiator, brake & power steering fluids every 30K miles. Cheap insurance and good PM.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Thanks for the write up.

On a side note:
    It's almost March.......why can we see ur Christmas lawn decorations???

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Appreciate this good writeup. I have put in in my Knowledgebase.
    ATLANTA_CTS4 and ATLANTA_CTS4 like this.

Ha Ha...good eye "sfv41901" I celebrate year round, Griswold style.

FYI your CTS-V bumper (s) swap has inspired me to do the same, I am going for the OEM stuff instead of the integreated easy kit. I am scoping for used (already painted black) bumpers on ebay and other places. Great write up on yours, I have it saved on my favorites...I might PM you if I run into any snags.

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Thanks for the write up.

On a side note:
    It's almost March.......why can we see ur Christmas lawn decorations???
    I had to go back and look again, LOL.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLANTA_CTS4
    Ha Ha...good eye "sfv41901" I celebrate year round, Griswold style.

FYI your CTS-V bumper (s) swap has inspired me to do the same, I am going for the OEM stuff instead of the integreated easy kit. I am scoping for used (already painted black) bumpers on ebay and other places. Great write up on yours, I have it saved on my favorites...I might PM you if I run into any snags.
    Thx. I'll help anyway I can :

gte959s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts premium

Guys please read the owners manual that requires our cars to use Dexron VI fluids in the transmission. If you research the Royal Purple that you are using you will find that it is not recommended for the CTS required application.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...smission-fluid
    hit the read more button to read the specs. I would suggest using the Mobil1 fluids instead for this application. The Differential fluid by Royal Purple is fine for the CTS.

PLEASE NOTE:

Max ATF is NOT recommended for the following applications: Allison TES-389, DEXRON® VI, Ford Type F and MERCON® SP & LV, Honda DW-1, Hyundai SP-IV and NWS-9638, Kia SP-IV, JWS 3324, MAN 339 Z3, Mercedes Benz 236.8, 236.12, 236.14 & 236.15, Mitsubishi SP-IV and ATF J2, Nissan Matic-S, Saab 93-165-147, Shell M-1375.4 (ZF 6-Speed AT), Toyota WS (JWS 3324) and ZF TE-ML 14C. Max ATF is not recommended for use in any CVT or DCT applications.

Dexron® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.
    Mercon® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.

Please consult Royal Purple’s Technical Department at rpautotech@royalpurple.com to determine which product is right for you.

t5mika is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

The engine should be running and transmission at park when adding the fluid. The fluid temperature must be at the correct range.
    The procedure in this thread will leave the transmission under filled.

The correct procedure is similar to that of Camaro and Corvette, for which there are accurate (and not so accurate) DYI threads around.

Quote Originally Posted by t5mika View Post
    The engine should be running and transmission at park when adding the fluid. The fluid temperature must be at the correct range.
    The procedure in this thread will leave the transmission under filled.

The correct procedure is similar to that of Camaro and Corvette, for which there are accurate (and not so accurate) DYI threads around.
    Please let me add the obvious... do this on level ground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.