Brake Dust 2011 CTS Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Brake Dust 2011 CTS Coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am having major brake dust issues with my 2012 CTS Coupe with Performance Option Brakes. The front wheels are ...
    cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Brake Dust 2011 CTS Coupe

I am having major brake dust issues with my 2012 CTS Coupe with Performance Option Brakes. The front wheels are constantly Black with dust. My 05 never had any issues.
    Does anyone have reccomendations on a set of pads that keep the dust down? I am going to change them out when I change back to my summer only tires and wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Same problem you have, I even bought "armorall wheel protectant" that claims to repel brake duct and it doesn't work either.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Brake Dust 2011 CTS Coupe

^^ cawengr and dreiloft.. both you guys must have "J55 Performance Brakes" on your vehicles. Much has been written in this forum (several threads) about J55 brakes and how much brake dust gets deposited on the front wheels. Here's a link to one of the threads: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dont-make.html

CTS's with J55 brakes are factory-equipped with semi-metallic pads at the front and ceramics at the rear. The front semi-metallics are excellent dust generators! I had the front brake dust problem on my first 2nd Gen CTS, an early-build '08 CTS4 equipped with RPO J55. Back in 2008 I organized a group buy (there were about 25 of us from this forum) of "FMSI D1331-8443" [brake industry's designation for the CTS's J55 front brake pads] ceramic pads from a brake pad manufacturer in Ontario, Canada. I couldn't find the pads anywhere else, and they actually manufactured the D1331-8443 ceramic pads specially for our group.
    Since that time front ceramic pad kits for J55-equipped CTS's have (finally) become available from several sources, including Tire Rack, Amazon, Pep Boys and probably a few others. I'd go with the Pep Boys "Prostop Ceramic Pad" front brake pad kit, part no. PR1331c. Their price of $56.99 is hard to beat, and I understand the pads perform very well. For most modes of driving (which would generally exclude 120 MPH + driving on German autobahns and Der Nürburgring) I think you'd be hard-pressed to detect a performance difference on your car regarding ceramic vs. the original semi-metallic.

As info, the rear ceramic pads on a J55-equipped CTS are the same rear pads as what are applied to a CTS equipped with standard brakes (RPO JE5). My '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan is equipped with RPO JE5 - ceramics front & rear - and I find the braking to be excellent, with no visible brake dust.

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

I replaced the front pads on my 2011 Cpe with the above mentioned pads from PEP Boys and they don't leave any dust and I can not tell the difference from the originals as to the stopping power.

FRM PEP BOYS:
    F P/S CERAMIC PADS
    •LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
    •EXC V - HD BRK - CERAMIC ENHANCED FRICTION FORMULATION TO REDUCE NOISE & DUST - w/PREMIUM ALLOY MULTI LAYERED SHIM
    mpn PR1331C PB/PROSTOP

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Thanks, RAB, I didn't mention my coupe is a 2012. Thanks again.

Mr. Frontier is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS Black

Yup. Semi-metallic is more ablative and thus better performing in stopping power. However, the only real difference would be felt on the track. Get those ceramics on for low dust and high aesthetics!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Armor All Brake Dust repellent. I use it on my Camaro SS (with Brembos) and it works where no others have. If they don't get wet, I get 3-4 weeks with no noticeable brake dust. Without the Armor All, I get 2-3 days. If I am lucky.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Thanks for the in depth info as to the issue and the fix. I do have the J55 option.
    I will go out tomorrow and get the pads so I can replace them prior to mounting my Summer wheels.

Tom Wheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

I have a 2012 premium Sport Wagon with the 19" wheel option, I do not have the touring package that I believe includes the J55 brakes, but I do have a front brake dust problem. I have to wipe down the front wheels everyday to remove the dust, how would I know if I in fact have semi-metallic pads up front or if these ceramics are just dust producers. I have contacted my dealer about this and after his research he says they only have one part number for replacement pads and its unclear if they are semi-metallic’s or ceramics.
    Did not have this issue with my 07 SRX, would like to eliminate this dust problem on my Sport Wagon.
    Thanks for any help,
    Tom

RAB

Tom, check the rpo summary sticker attached to one of the panels/covers in the cargo area of your CTS Sport Wagon. If the sticker mentions rpo "J55" then your car is equipped with the Performance Brake Package, which includes from the factory semi-metalic pads up front and ceramics in the rear. If the sticker mentions rpo "JE5" then your CTS is equipped with the standard brake package, which includes ceramic brake pads front and rear.
    If you're having to clean your front wheels every day then I'm quite certain your car is equipped with J55 performance brakes w/ semi-metallic pads up front. Ceramic pads wouldn't (shouldn't) be giving you a brake dust problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Tom, check the rpo summary sticker attached to one of the panels/covers in the cargo area of your CTS Sport Wagon. If the sticker mentions rpo "J55" then your car is equipped with the Performance Brake Package, which includes from the factory semi-metalic pads up front and ceramics in the rear. If the sticker mentions rpo "JE5" then your CTS is equipped with the standard brake package, which includes ceramic brake pads front and rear.
    If you're having to clean your front wheels every day then I'm quite certain your car is equipped with J55 performance brakes w/ semi-metallic pads up front. Ceramic pads wouldn't (shouldn't) be giving you a brake dust problem.
    Rab,
    Thanks for the info, I just looked in my vehicle and can not find the rpo sticker. In the back of the wagon there is the fuse/battery panel, and the floor storage panel and under that the spar tire panel, none of them had any kind of sticker attached. There is nothing on any of the doors or under the hood as well, any idea where else I should look?

Thanks again,
    Tom

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Tom, your CTS Sport Wagon is 3.6L with Y43 Performance Package...right?

"Y43 Performance Package, 19" (48.3 cm) Summer Tire, includes (T4F) HID headlamps, (KB7) steering wheel mounted paddle shift controls, (T3U) fog lamps, (RT9) 19" x 8.5" (48.3 cm x 21.6 cm) polished wheels, (Q0M) P245/45ZR19 Y-rated performance summer tires, (V03) performance cooling system, (FE3) sport performance suspension, (G80) limited slip differential and (J55) performance brakes.
    1 - Model 6DP35 only. Not available with (Y42) 18" All-Season Tire Performance Package or (FE5) 19" All-Season Tire Package (Models 6DP35 or 6DH35)."

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=4&butID=3

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wheeler View Post
    Rab,
    Thanks for the info, I just looked in my vehicle and can not find the rpo sticker. In the back of the wagon there is the fuse/battery panel, and the floor storage panel and under that the spar tire panel, none of them had any kind of sticker attached. There is nothing on any of the doors or under the hood as well, any idea where else I should look?

Thanks again,
    Tom
    Tom, my pleasure
    ..as I think of it.. I seem to recall someone mentioning in this forum some time ago that the rpo sticker on the CTS Sport Wagon is in a different place than on the Sedan or Coupe. Have you tried the glove box? The sticker may be attached there, on the inside of the glove box door.

Edit: For info.. below is a link to an eHow online article on GM vehicle Service Parts Identification (RPO) Label locations:
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_7999171_gm...ification.html
    Let us know how you make out in finding the sticker/label. Good luck!

Again thanks Rab and 928S,

I found the RPO sticker on my 2012 premium Sport Wagan, its under the spar tire cover. I didn't spot at lunch earlier because it's a dark silver label on the dark grey under side of the cover.
    In any case my premium Sport Wagon with the 19" "all season" tires does in fact have the J55 performance semi-metallic front brake pads. In terms of the other "sport" codes, even though my window sticker says its equiped with "sport suspension" and Limited Slip Diferential I did not see the FE3 code that 928S listed in the Y43 performance package.

Tom

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to jump into this thread to let you all know that I'm also able to assist if you ever want to know your Cadillac's build option codes. Simply send me a private message with your name and VIN (so I can confirm I am communicating with the vehicle's current owner), and I'm happy to respond with the codes.

Happy to help!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.