Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Bought my 2009 CTS last October with about 34,000 miles on it. Got about 38,000 miles on it. Oil percentage ...
    GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man!

Bought my 2009 CTS last October with about 34,000 miles on it. Got about 38,000 miles on it. Oil percentage is in the 60s, so I decided to check the oil level.

Not even on the stick! It took about 1.75 quarts to get it to full. I'm going to continue to keep an eye on it, but that's pretty crazy. My previous vehicle, a 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 pushing 15 psi of boost would only eat up .5 to 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man!

Hey GreaseMonkey,

Your oil consumption is about the same as my '08 3.6L DI (odometer 32Kmi), also the GM accepted rate of 1qt. in 2Kmi., TSB #01-06-01-011F "Info on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines," Jan 13, 2009.

Your 60% oil life remaining after 4Kmi. looks very very good to me. Mine is 75% after less than 1Kmi. since last oil & filter change (mild winter weather, average trip 4-6 miles) .

All of which reminds me...I need to check the oil level now before I forget again...damn!

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

I know 1 quart for every 3,000 miles seems to be pretty standard print per most OEMs. Still just shocked that a N/A 3.6L V6 consumes more oil than a 300 HP forced induction 4 cylinder.

It's probably worth noting that 2008-2012 CTS owner's manuals say

"It is a good idea to check the engine oil every time you get fuel. In order to get an accurate reading, the oil must be warm and the vehicle must be on level ground,"

while the TSB, referenced above, says

"To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading."

I've found the latter to be true, and, in my experience, fuel stop oil reading can be a misleading waste of time.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The fuel stop reading line is just a carry over. Car manuals have said you should check oil and fluids every fuel stop for decades.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I think every car I've ever owned "recommended" checking the oil at every fuel stop. I've always adhered to the idea that the engine needs to sit for at least a few minutes to let everything drain back into the oil pan. Having said that, I haven't checked the CTS's oil in a while. I still have 40% oil life left(oil has about 5K on it now) so I will do that tonight after I get home. So far, I haven't added any so we'll see how much she has used. Last check all was fine.

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    At what point of "oil life" on the info center do y'all change oil? My dealer recommened changing at 50% life but seems like that's a little early. I would rather be early than late though.

kdstrum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD

hey i don't know what's going on but i've checking my oil every week and am not burning oil. make sure you let the car sit for and hour or so. i have have let the dealer after and oil change thinking i was 1+ quarts low told me to wait and hour before i check it

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    At what point of "oil life" on the info center do y'all change oil?
    I used to change oil & filter annually at about 8Kmi. and 40% oil life remaining. Now, after last year’s premature-timing-chain-wear recall/OLM recalibration and shortened oil change intervals, I wait for "Change Engine Oil Soon" message to appear on DIC display at about 5% oil life remaining.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

I have been reading about this oil consumption issue for some time. Just to let you know that it is not every CTS, my 09 now has 36k miles and it has never needed oil added other than changes.

kdstrum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD

same here 08 rwd 3.6di 21000 miles

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm pretty sure that engine oil consumption is directly related to the break-in procedure (or lack thereof) when the engine was new

proper break-in should result in very low (or zero) oil consumption
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i'm pretty sure that engine oil consumption is directly related to the break-in procedure (or lack thereof) when the engine was new

proper break-in should result in very low (or zero) oil consumption
    Maybe, but GM isn't the only one that has D/I engine oil consumption problems;

the VW 2.0T and Audi 3.0T for example, burn pretty much a quart every 2K miles..

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...ption+break-in

looks like honda and acura top that google search (for auto brands)

but if you add cadillac to that search it brings up a few threads from this forum discussing break-in and how it relates to consumption
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...ption+break-in

looks like honda and acura top that google search (for auto brands)

but if you add cadillac to that search it brings up a few threads from this forum discussing break-in and how it relates to consumption
    that first link explains a lot of misconceptions. Engines are supposed to burn a little amount of oil, I won't disagree that a quart every 2K on a daily driven engine is probably a little more than typical, but engines are not supposed to contain every drop it had at 0 miles on these 10-13K mile OLM OCI's. The fact that some engines do is coincidence or probably because they spend most of their life at or around idle..

I had to add a half quart to the LSA a little while ago infact.. but that's because of the MIR day and a few autocross runs, so I'm not freaking out about it .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.