Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; as far as I know GM does employ cross-hatching in the cylinder walls (at least on the one's i've seen ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Holy Oil Consumption Bat Man!

as far as I know GM does employ cross-hatching in the cylinder walls (at least on the one's i've seen - old and newer northstar engines and the newer 3.6L LY7 engines)

this cross-hatching endures - it's still there and clearly visible after a hundred thousand miles
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    This debate is probably found somewhere on EVERY car forum on the net! (And it's funny how often that motoman guy's pages are cited, too. I've seen it at least 4 times now with 4 different vehicles I've owned and joined forums for.)

The best explanation I've been able to get on all of this came from a mechanic who said, essentially, it probably doesn't make much difference how you break a car in these days.

1. All the theory people like motoman discuss, about cross-hatch patterns in the cylinder walls that are worn down in the first 20-25 miles of driving (and therefore necessary to make use of right away with a hard break-in, to get those rings sealed) don't typically apply to cars or trucks these days, because such patterns aren't even employed anymore. That would still apply to smaller motorcycle engines -- but not an engine like what's in our Cadillac.
    Wrong.

Engines still require a cross hatch pattern, and it is still employed in engine manufacturing across the board. They never truly disappear. Even thousands of miles later they are still visible, but not to the degree they were when there were 0 miles on the clock.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    1. All the theory people like motoman discuss, about cross-hatch patterns in the cylinder walls that are worn down in the first 20-25 miles of driving (and therefore necessary to make use of right away with a hard break-in, to get those rings sealed) don't typically apply to cars or trucks these days, because such patterns aren't even employed anymore. That would still apply to smaller motorcycle engines -- but not an engine like what's in our Cadillac.
    A Picture is worth a thousand words. 2004 6.6L Duramax. Cross hatching clearly visible with 165k on it.
    Attached Images

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Ok... well, I obviously stand corrected on the cross-hatching then, except for the fact it's clearly not something you have to worry about it wearing smooth after only a short time, meaning a hard initial break-in is critical during the first few miles of ownership!

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

If anything, I wonder if CTS break-in (500mi / 805km) should be even longer?

For example, Porsche recommended break-in procedure is more thorough with a duration of 2000mi / 3000km. In my 20 years of hard driving Porsche V8s, those engines never consumed any discernable amount of oil. Donít know if break-in contributed to good result or not.

Automakers have surely conducted controlled tests of various break-in procedures vs. none, but Iíve never seen their findings revealed or discussed.

i figured i would do a quick google search to check if porsches consume oil sometimes (just like most other cars) ... apparently they do

also ... i couldn't help but notice the '911' coincidence ...

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i figured i would do a quick google search to check if porsches consume oil sometimes (just like most other cars) ... apparently they do

also ... i couldn't help but notice the '911' coincidence ...
    Yeah, 911s were legendary for oil consumption - never owned one. My good experience was limited to 928S 5.0L V8s.

we've got a 1980 928 in the shop right now ... waiting on a reman'd fuel distributor

Benzgas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium Coupe

900 miles on my 2013 Coupe and had to add 1/2 quart. This is not normal for any car. Only new vehicle I bought that use oil was a 1978 Datsun and only used a quart every 3K miles. And that was if I did a lot of highway driving. I just traded my 2011 Silverado in on a 2013 Silverado and neither use oil. The 2011 Silverado never used a drop between oil changes and I was changing oil and filter every 15K miles using 'Mobil1 EP' oil. The old oil came out so nice and clean I actually kept it for use in the lawn mower and use it for the chain saw bar oil. 3 brand new S10 blazers and they where the same. New vehicles using more than a Quart of oil in less than 2-3K miles is poor design. Cadillac better get there junk together because word of mouth will negate millions of dollars spent on advertising and drag down sales.
    After reading this thread, I think I will forgo the free oil changes from GM dealer and be putting in the 'Mobil1 EP' and see what that does. Have to wonder how good GM's DEXOS Synthetic Blend is. I know the 1978 Datsun used more when I used Pennzoil than when I used Valvoline. Never did find out why. They both had the same specifications.
    MoFex and Mn800r like this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Dexos is the recommended oil for the CTS. Since Cadillac is on the hook for damaged engines, I'm sure they did some testing to insure that it's specifications were suitable for this engine.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    There are many oils that meet the Dexos specification, including Mobil One.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Not all mobil1 formulas are dexos approved ....

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    You are right Chris. The Dexos spec will be on the bottle if it meets it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

You can't tell how rough a cylinder wall is by looking at it, the ridges of the cross hatch are long gone but the shadow will remain but it is not "rough" anymore.

Those with race cars that don't drive on the street don't always have the drive it nice option and it has worked for many in the race community.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.