Fuel System Cleaning At Dealership
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GreaseMonkey
  • 2 Post By Z71
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Fuel System Cleaning At Dealership in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, So I made an appointment to get my oil changes, tires rotated, brakes inspected and all other maintenance items ...
    blackonblackNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Fuel System Cleaning At Dealership

Hi,

So I made an appointment to get my oil changes, tires rotated, brakes inspected and all other maintenance items taken care of tomorrow. I've got 38,500 miles on my '09 CTS with no problems or issues to report...but I wanted to get the Fuel System Cleaning done which I believe is going to run me about $300. Is it worth it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

Re: Fuel System Cleaning At Dealership

No. Nothing but a money maker for a dealership. As long as you are filling up on good gasoline, there is plenty of cleaners and detergents in the fuel to keep things clean.

Take it from a Master ASE tech.

blackonblackNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Awesome, thanks!

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I second that. In my 30+ years of car ownership I have never done it and never had need for that....

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

3x. Even GM says its a rip-off

Additional debunked auto maintenance myths
    Changing a car’s oil every 3,000 miles isn’t the only auto maintenance myth Goodwrench experts are busting. Goodwrench also helps vehicle owners by dispelling additional automotive maintenance myths that encourage consumers to spend money on unnecessary vehicle repairs that don’t improve fuel efficiency, performance and aren’t environmentally friendly. Besides changing a vehicle’s oil, other vehicle services have changed over the years, particularly within the first 60,000 to 100,000 miles of ownership. Here are some of the most commonly held maintenance myths that have been busted or adjusted based on technologies available on today’s vehicles.
    • Tune-ups : Today’s engines have computer-monitored and controlled systems that still need to be checked, but they don’t need a traditional tune-up every few thousand miles. A standard tune-up used to call for new ignition parts such as a distributor cap, spark plugs and points and rotors. Besides spark plugs, which usually don’t have to be changed until 100,000 miles, today’s cars aren’t built with points and rotors, and many engines don’t have distributor caps that need replacement as often.
    • Lubrication : Most new cars no longer require chassis lubrication. Having a mechanic install a fitting so the vehicle’s chassis can be lubed can lead to additional problems by adding grease and components where none are necessary or originally intended.
    • Annual radiator flush : Manufacturers have made significant advancements in engine cooling systems during the past few years with closed systems that recirculate coolant. These new systems don’t lose coolant as often, and coolant manufacturers have also made advancements in their products’ chemical components with synthetic materials, making the seasonal radiator flush almost extinct. It is still important to check fluid levels periodically – especially before long trips – and use the manufacturer-recommended coolant.
    • Wheel alignment: Although it’s important to keep tires properly maintained and inflated, it’s not always necessary to have them aligned every time they are rotated. A majority of manufacturers recommend a wheel alignment and wheel balance only if there is a major issue with the car pulling to one side or another.
    • Unnecessary services : Maintenance services such as fuel injector cleaning and transmission fluid flushes aren’t necessary as often anymore. Some routine maintenance services are still needed, but in most cases they aren’t, so compare what’s being suggested with what the owner’s manual recommends – and possibly avoid spending money on unneeded maintenance.
    • When in doubt, check us out : Visit a Goodwrench service expert or check the vehicle’s owner’s manual to get accurate answers to maintenance questions. Visit Goodwrench.com’s owner’s manual section at http://www.goodwrench.com/Tips/OwnerManuals.jsp for more information.

ctsfan2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I let the Lincoln-Mercury dealer talk me into that service one time on my LS; said that due to the car using premium(it required it btw) that I was likely getting carbon buildup and the fuel system treatment would clear that up(I had complained the engine pinged at times). No difference whatsoever after the treatment was done, better quality fuels seemed to cure the pinging. At 129K the engine still runs strong and has never had another fuel system cleaning since that one! I've noticed that my Cadillac dealer offers "wynn's fuel injection service" as part of their 30K service menu. They also offer "wynn's" cooling system and power steering system services as part of the 50K menu. I'll be respectfully declining those.

Spokes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS, 2003 CTS - It's gone - Deer Collision

I had my dealer tell me the same thing. The salesman that sold me the car, who has been a friend of my for 20 years, told me to skip it. They tell everyone that.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

What about the throttle body cleaning - is that necessary?

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01
    What about the throttle body cleaning - is that necessary?
    That can't hurt. Something u can do ur self

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    Most fuel injection systems are far enough downstream of the throttle body that fuel deposits/varnish does not occur making cleaning obsolete.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.