Spare Donut Tire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Spare Donut Tire in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I want to get a spare donut tire for my 2011 CTS and the best price ($272) was from "GMPartscenter.net". ...
    bob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts

Spare Donut Tire

I want to get a spare donut tire for my 2011 CTS and the best price ($272) was from "GMPartscenter.net". Has anyone ever purchased from them? The tire comes not mounted on the rim. I expect that a tire store can do the mounting. My Cadillac dealer wanted over $430. Any other suggestions on where to get the spare. I tried salvage yards but they had nothing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Why don't u want a full spare. Trying to lose weight?

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Re: Spare Donut Tire

My dealer was nice enough to match the gmpartsdirect.com price when I bought my car. You might print the online price and see if your dealer can come close. (Even if their price is still more, it might equal out if you can avoid paying shipping.) Mine came unmounted, as you described, but the dealer didn't have a mounting machine, so they sent me home with it the way it shipped. I had to take all the individual parts out of the huge box as it wouldn't fit in my trunk.

I took everything to a Les Schwab tire shop that's near my house expecting to pay for the mounting, but they kindly took care of it for me at no charge. Their customer service was excellent; if you have one of their shops nearby, I'd recommend going there.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Why don't u want a full spare. Trying to lose weight?
    Maybe because a full-size will not fit under the trunk-spare-tire-well cover?

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    Maybe because a full-size will not fit under the trunk-spare-tire-well cover?
    Exactly!

This is what I have.....I consider this a full spare.

This is what I have.....I consider this a full spare.

I also have a spare that looks like yours. It is not a full spare, however you can drive with speeds of up to 60 mph for a limited milage. It saved me twice already.

BTW. If I am not mistaken this was an option on my car and it cost me $300. Money well spent.

But I don't think its a donut spare, which is why the op's question threw me off.

Brutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

In 1998, I bought a new Jaguar XK8 and to my surprise, it had a full size spare and not just any spare, but an exact copy of the tyres and wheels on the car. The salesperson explained that I was buying a car with a long racing heritage and it simply would not do to be in a race without being ready to change a flat tyre and get back in the race. In 2000, Jaguar changed to a mini-spare. This time the salesperson explained the change was three-fold. One, he said, Jaguar had lost confidence in owners to follow the owner’s manual and rotate out the spare during tyre normal rotations. This left tyres in the trunk for what might be decades. As these are Z rated tyres, neither Pirelli nor Jaguar wanted anyone to "get back in the race" with a tyre that appeared new but in fact was too old to be safe at 175mph. Two, a mini-spare allowed them to put different size tyres on the front and rear, which they did in 2000. And three, it saved weight and lots of it. Besides, how often are you going to need to put on the spare and then still finish the race?

FrankRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS

A donut spare tire is a compact spare tire. It takes up less room than the full wheel / tire combination and is intended for limited use and limited speed. I would say that is what you (and many of us) have.

Yes, I would agree that its not of the same size or rating, bit when I think of a donut spare, I think of a spare on a civic........doesn't even look like it can support the car.

But that's just me I guess.

Yes, I would agree that its not of the same size or rating, bit when I think of a donut spare, I think of a spare on a civic........doesn't even look like it can support the car.

But that's just me I guess.
    It is called donut tire....and as we said it does not have the same size or ratings. But it can save the day

bob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts

The donut spare is designed to fit in the spare tire well. A full size tire will not fit and takes up too much room in the trunk.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.