Tail lights LEDs - Problem!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Tail lights LEDs - Problem! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi guys, I just noticed that four of the leds (two on each side) on the tail lights are not ...
    cts_3.6DI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L DI FE3 Thunder Gray

Tail lights LEDs - Problem!

Hi guys, I just noticed that four of the leds (two on each side) on the tail lights are not as bright as the other ones and I was wondering whether this is a defect or its normal and I just never paid attention to it. I've attached two pictures and you can see the second and third led from bottom to top is a bit dimmer than the rest of them. So if anyone can check their tail lights and let me know whether this is normal or I have to contact my dealer will be much appreciated!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Tail lights LEDs - Problem!

I haven't checked mine, but I want to say it's normal if you have someone or something holding the brakes down and the 'brigher' output is when the car's LED's are in brake mode.

The problem is that these LEDs come on only when the brake is pressed. The light tubes on the inside of the tail lights are used for normal illumination in conjunction with the headlights/foglights, so in theory there shouldn't be any difference in the output

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I still want to say it's normal, EU regulations I'm sure have something to do with it, and it's on both sides. LED's do not dim over time and their MTBF is practicly infinite as far as automotive operation is concerned (if you drove your car with the lights on, 4 hours a day, every day, they'd last ~ 34 years). The only logical conclusions are either it's normal or there's a voltage drop on both sides from poor soldering. If someone doesn't popup before I get home, I'll check.

A Wilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium ('08 CTS DI Traded)

My LEDs are extremely bright. In fact, my retinas are burned now. On a serious note, I do not notice any difference in the brightness of any individual LED though mine is a US-spec car with red tailight lenses not the clear euro-spec lenses. Not sure if that would make a difference. Looks like a rainy day in the UK.

Question for you: It's hard to see clearly in your photos, but are those LEDs in the lower bumper between your exhaust pipes? Perhaps a rear fog light per Euro regs?

Yesterday was a bit cold, but itís nice and sunny today. Yes, these are the rear LED fog lights as per EU regs. I think it might be a defect although it's strange to have occurred simultaneously on both sides. When you look at it upclose it seems as if there are two leds on each level. Iíll ask the dealer when I take the car for service in a month or so, but thanks for you help.
    Attached Images

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

I feel like I have seen this "defect" on many U.S. spec CTS's. I always thought it was because of the reverse light, but having seen your pictures the reverse light is lower than I thought. I do recall some of the lower lights on both taillights appearing slightly dimmer than the rest.....it is probably the curvature of the light assembly causing this. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Wow with the fog lights that is a LOT of LEDs on the back of the CTS!

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Ok. Here's what's going on. I noticed this with my tail lights after reading the thread & on a few other Gen 2 CTS's. Thought it might be normal.

Well I bought a busted tail light for a project that I'm going to start. I cut off the lens & saw that the diffuser for the 4 LEDs in question a different than the rest. So this is not a defect but a normal function.

See my pics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.