Need Help with Air bag Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Need Help with Air bag Light in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 09 CTS DI AWD Premium - has 4,000 miles, I got it about 2 weeks ago and ...
    Wildman7798 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS DI AWD Premium

Need Help with Air bag Light

I have a 09 CTS DI AWD Premium - has 4,000 miles, I got it about 2 weeks ago and the Passenger side air bag on/off amber light located on the fascia below the stereo/nav controls is BRIGHT regardless if anyone is sitting there or if it's night or day and the rheostat for the dash lights does not change it.. My service writer at the dealer says it's normal. Seems odd to me. Looked at a new one in the showroom and it seems to dim down after it goes through the checks - service guy says battery is probably low or they changed the light design on the showroom car. Anyone?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Need Help with Air bag Light

Wildman7798,
    I would check with another GM dealer in your area to get a second opinion. If you send me your VIN I can check into this for you, too. Let me know what you find out.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

cadilac jack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v coupe

Anyone have any more insight on this air bag light? I have a 2011 CTS V Coupe and the light really bothers me when I am driving the car, mostly at night but day time also. It seems very silly to me to have such a bright warning light on all the time. I have a few other cars and trucks and they all come on when you first start the car to tell you if its on or off depending on passengers then they go out. Why do these stay on?
    I cant go to a dealer unless I pay as I don’t have warranty on the car until I get about 7500 miles on the car (long story) and I’m only at 2500 miles. I don’t want to pay for them to check it and tell me nothing is wrong.
    Can you disable them, will a dealer do it? Or is there a bulb that I can just take out? I don’t really want to start taking the dash apart unless I know what I’m doing and what to look for. Failing that I’ll get some black tape and cover it up I guess. LOL
    Appreciate your help, Thx

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    My light is always on. Can't help you there. Def interested as to why your warranty doesn't kick in until 7.5k!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I, too, hate that light. Hell, my Ford truck airbag light only comes on when it is off. It doesn't stay on ALL the time. What moron came up with this "bright" idea? And how do we disconnect the
    sucker?

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    My light is bright during the day but dims when the headlights turn on.

CaddyShack CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Cts4 ; 3.6L DI

I just tried responding but something happened, dangit. I too had this light come on for 2 weeks and right before I was going to take it in for the annoying airbag light.. I was vaccuming (winter and muddy) and i accidentally hit the cords underneath the driver seat. The airbag light finally went off, I guess there are a bunch of sensors underneath the driver and passenger seat. Now this may be a stretch, but just try applying pressure to all the cords underneath to reconnect them if theyve accidentally been pumped. Do it for both driver n passenger and see if your lucky to have that as the problem on the cts

PeteK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by cadilac jack View Post
    Anyone have any more insight on this air bag light? I have a 2011 CTS V Coupe and the light really bothers me when I am driving the car, mostly at night but day time also. It seems very silly to me to have such a bright warning light on all the time. I have a few other cars and trucks and they all come on when you first start the car to tell you if its on or off depending on passengers then they go out. Why do these stay on?
    I cant go to a dealer unless I pay as I don’t have warranty on the car until I get about 7500 miles on the car (long story) and I’m only at 2500 miles. I don’t want to pay for them to check it and tell me nothing is wrong.
    Can you disable them, will a dealer do it? Or is there a bulb that I can just take out? I don’t really want to start taking the dash apart unless I know what I’m doing and what to look for. Failing that I’ll get some black tape and cover it up I guess. LOL
    Appreciate your help, Thx
    I posted this on the V forum, but here's what the manual says:

When the vehicle is started, the
    passenger airbag status indicator
    will light the words ON and OFF,
    or the symbols for on and off, for
    several seconds as a system check.
    If the vehicle has remote start, and it
    is being used to start the vehicle
    from a distance, you may not see
    the system check. Then, after
    several more seconds, the status
    indicator will light either ON or OFF,
    or either the on or off symbol, to let
    you know the status of the right front
    passenger frontal airbag.
    OFF or ON will always be lit. That jives with what I see in my car. I believe it's a federal requirement, but that's just based on the fact that every new car I've seen in the past couple of years has an ON/OFF indication lit at all times. Now it should dim with the headlights on (including auto mode), but it's still pretty noticeable.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I agree with you, PeteK. Now, how do we figure out the workaround? Can we get into the panel and remove the bulb, or is it a led? Other than jamming a screwdriver through that G.D. light, I gotta figure something out.

CaddyShack CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Cts4 ; 3.6L DI

I mistook this for the "check airbag light".. disregard my last post.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Did u ever get this resolved?

cadilac jack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v coupe

I'm in Canada and I bought and imported the car from New Jersey, GM Canada wont cover an imported car until it has 12,000 KM or 7,500 miles on it. I think it is done to discourage people from buying cars outside of Canada.
    I'm not driving it much right now because it is winter but I would still like to get rid of that Airbag light.
    I think it is a law that you get a warning that it is on or off but I dont think it has to stay on. A friend of mine says his Corvette does the same thing but his is on the mirror and he hates it too. I think it just a GM thing, couple of guys here with new Fords and theirs comes on lets them know the status then turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdabs View Post
    My light is always on. Can't help you there. Def interested as to why your warranty doesn't kick in until 7.5k!

MrTwobit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD Sedan

If, after several seconds, both status
    indicator lights remain on, or if there
    are no lights at all, there may be a
    problem with the lights or the
    passenger sensing system. See
    your dealer/retailer for service.
    {WARNING
    If the airbag readiness light ever
    comes on and stays on, it means
    that something may be wrong
    with the airbag system. To help
    avoid injury to yourself or others,
    have the vehicle serviced right
    away. See Airbag Readiness
    Light on page 4‑21 for more
    information, including important
    safety information.

Sounds like the older recall didn't fix the problem if newer vehicles have the same problem continuing. People should contact the NHTSA.gov.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

OK, first off, stop using my name!!!!! Secondly, don't double post!

Go to a window tint shop and beg for a small piece of very dark tint material and cut it to fit. It works!

Marv

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I, too, hate that light. Hell, my Ford truck airbag light only comes on when it is off. It doesn't stay on ALL the time. What moron came up with this "bright" idea? And how do we disconnect the
    sucker?
    Obviously the same one who designed the headlights.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    OK, first off, stop using my name!!!!! Secondly, don't double post!

Go to a window tint shop and beg for a small piece of very dark tint material and cut it to fit. It works!

Marv
    Good post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.