Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2011 Gracenote Media Database Update disc (for UAV Nav Radio)

12K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  lupesilva37 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone here have a 2011 Gracenote Media Database Update disc p/n 25962370 (for UAV Nav Radio) they no longer require and would like to provide/sell to me? If so please send me a PM. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
Oh well, not a problem JG, thanks. We'll see if someone else here might have a disc on hand.

I don't mind paying the $19.99 to purchase a new disc, but the additional $40.00 for shipping & handling (shipping via UPS is mandatory) and then another $5.00 in taxes puts the total price for a Gracenote update disc (for me here in Canada) at $65.00. That's way too steep for something that should be available free of charge for 2008+ CTS owners, via a download from the cadillac.com website. This sort of stuff really irritates me.
My early-build 2011 CTS came with 2010-version Nav Radio Apps, Maps and Gracenote DB software, which represents another irritation. I already had all that version software on the 2009 CTS I owned before obtaining my '11 car.

The Gracenote update(s) for our CTS audio systems should be free share-ware, just as it is for latest-technology WiFi-equipped Blu-ray disc players found in 10's of thousands of homes.
I wish the "new GM" would dispose of some of the "old GM" idiotic customer-unfriendly practices such as this one.

#5 ·
This is *so* true! I think most auto-makers are still just learning how to deal with the 'digital age" though. They've finally caught on that people want their vehicles to support features like bluetooth, storing music digitally in the stereo itself, voice commands, etc. But NOW they've got to start adapting to the business model of users downloading and applying updates themselves!

Even if they still charged me a (relatively small, fair) price per download, I'd be fine with that. I simply want to be able to visit the proper web page and download such things as the latest Gracenote database, GPS map updates, or new firmware for the stereo to support more bluetooth devices! The idea you have to schedule dealer appointments for this stuff is ridiculous. Most service techs I've encountered are less savvy working with these types of upgrades than I am myself, as an I.T. professional!

#12 ·
rudeboyspi said:
Thanks BriggZ for the DVD. I installed it and willing to pass it on to the next person if anyone wants it. Hey is the 2011 navigation DVD worth the $199 it cost? I am not sure if I want to pay that much for a navigation DVD upgrade.
That's hard to say. I wasn't sure what version was installed since it was pre owned so I wanted to update so I new what I had. I'm thinking every other year is good enough for me for what they are charging. Also it was a pain in the butt to update...problem with the disk they are supplying. They took them off the market and I don't think they are selling them again yet. I'd wait until you read a post that the new discs are working without any problems because if the update stops loading before it is complete then your Nav system is inop until it loads 100%.... Takes 2+ hours to load. I was lucky, I got mine to load after the third disk. And there is no sharing. You need a code that is tied to your Vin # that is supplied when buy the disc from GM.
BriggZ

#16 ·
BriggZ said:
That's hard to say. I wasn't sure what version was installed since it was pre owned so I wanted to update so I new what I had. I'm thinking every other year is good enough for me for what they are charging. Also it was a pain in the butt to update...problem with the disk they are supplying. They took them off the market and I don't think they are selling them again yet. I'd wait until you read a post that the new discs are working without any problems because if the update stops loading before it is complete then your Nav system is inop until it loads 100%.... Takes 2+ hours to load. I was lucky, I got mine to load after the third disk. And there is no sharing. You need a code that is tied to your Vin # that is supplied when buy the disc from GM.
BriggZ
Thanks for the info BriggZ. I will ship that DVD to pdabs, hopefully tomorrow. The problem is that my 08 Cadillac cts didn't come with nav. I retrofit nav to my CTS. It took some work but all done. So I'm not sure how that vin issue would come in play. I know that the hdd is coded with my car vin#. I will wait until 2012 DVD comes out and after it is tested by others.

#19 ·
Can somebody tell me what the "gracenotes" are? I just got a 2009 CTS with GPS and am thinking about upgrading the disk, but I don't know what the gracenotes are?????
I even hate upgrading the disk because my garmin has free lifetime upgrades and didn't even cost 200 to begin, but of course I like the built in GPS. So can somebody explain to me what gracenotes are???? Also, are the 2012 disks working now?

#20 ·
When upgrading the "Gracenote" option with the new disc, does this also update the "Navigation", or is that a separate disc ?
I'm getting ready to partake in a St Louis to Yellowstone park roadtrip in Aug and would like to have my Nav updated for the trip.

I as the rest would be interrested in obtaining whatever disc is needed to perform that upgrade, and would be willing to purchase it if nessecary.
I bought my 08' CPO last Feb, and thought they may have updated it at the time of purchase, but just not sure ?

Also what is involved in upgrading the Nav portion, and how long does it take ?

thanks

#21 ·
08 CTS4 said:
When upgrading the "Gracenote" option with the new disc, does this also update the "Navigation", or is that a separate disc ?
I'm getting ready to partake in a St Louis to Yellowstone park roadtrip in Aug and would like to have my Nav updated for the trip.

I as the rest would be interrested in obtaining whatever disc is needed to perform that upgrade, and would be willing to purchase it if nessecary.
I bought my 08' CPO last Feb, and thought they may have updated it at the time of purchase, but just not sure ?

Also what is involved in upgrading the Nav portion, and how long does it take ?

thanks
Well the grace notes only upgrade the software that runs everything but the nav data. The nav data is for like $250+ and that update the map info. I haven't done a map upgrade because I don't want to pay $250 unless I have to.

#22 ·
The only reason I am interested in the nav update is that I have heard rumors this may be the last update for our cars. CUE is on the way, and we will probably be kicked to the side of the road.

#24 ·
As I mentioned, merely a rumor. I do not know this for a fact. However, based on the fiasco that is called the 2012 Nav Update, if I were in charge there would be no way I would attempt this again.