19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Does anyone have the same problem as me: I have a premium CTS Coupe 2011. 19# wheels with summer tires. ...
    rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

Does anyone have the same problem as me: I have a premium CTS Coupe 2011. 19# wheels with summer tires. I back up and turn the wheel hard and....clunk clunk clunk. I think it's the tires rubbing and binding on the fender well. So every time I back up and cut the wheel I'm waiting for that aweful sound. I think I should not have bought the car with the bigger wheels and tire package. What say you who has the same setup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: 19" Wheels/Summer Tires on CTS Coupe....no good!

I have the 19" wheels and summer tires (Continentals) on my 2011 CTS Sedan with no such problem.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

I have the coupe and also experience the same issue. I think the angle of the tire on a tight back up is such that instead of the tire rolling, it slides instead, when it slides you hear the clunk. this is even worse with the manual transmission as when the tires tend to lock , the effort to back up increases so you have to adjust with the clutch so the engine doesn't die. It was very annoying at first but I am getting used to it.
    I put a set of 18" OEM takeoffs on the car for the winter and the 18" do not exhibit the same issue.

GR8RYD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Red Coupe 3.6L M6

Same car, same setup, same thing happens. But I think it is actually the tire being dragged sideways because the angle is so severe. The upside is that my car has an even tighter turning circle than my wife's Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

This is going to sound stupid but make sure the rears haven't been rotated to the front as they are wider.
    Jaime Mcknight likes this.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    Also, to the ones who have this problem: Do you have the AWD model?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    Also, to the ones who have this problem: Do you have the AWD model?
    19s were not available on AWD coupes.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    Ahh, any AWD I've ever had does that...

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

I have an 11 Coupe stick RWD with 19s & Contis; never had the problem.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    I have an 11 Coupe stick RWD with 19s & Contis; never had the problem.
    GR*RYD is correct, the tire gets dragged sideways because of the turning angle and the excessive camber when turned to lock position. I notice it most when backing out of a spot with the rear end going to the right.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

My AWD 2011 CTS Coupe has 19's on it with factory wheels.

I bought the car used, so it's possible the original owner did this himself, after the initial purchase. (I don't have paddle shifters, though it's a Premium edition with pretty much every single other option Cadillac had available). But I was told it *was* possible to order the 19" wheels like this with summer tires, even for an AWD version of the car, as a separate upgrade. It just cost a lot ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    19s were not available on AWD coupes.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    My AWD 2011 CTS Coupe has 19's on it with factory wheels.

I bought the car used, so it's possible the original owner did this himself, after the initial purchase. (I don't have paddle shifters, though it's a Premium edition with pretty much every single other option Cadillac had available). But I was told it *was* possible to order the 19" wheels like this with summer tires, even for an AWD version of the car, as a separate upgrade. It just cost a lot ....
    It would have to be done by the dealer, hence why it would cost a lot. You couldn't order the 19s with AWD from factory.

GR8RYD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Red Coupe 3.6L M6

Quote Originally Posted by cawengr View Post
    GR*RYD is correct, the tire gets dragged sideways because of the turning angle and the excessive camber when turned to lock position. I notice it most when backing out of a spot with the rear end going to the right.
    Exactly. When I exit our parking space, there is a brick wall behind me. As soon as I clear the last post, I have to cut the front end to the left all the way to the steering lock (rear end going to the right). The concrete is not in great shape so that may make the situation worse. Also, the slower I back up, the less the shudder seems to be.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

OK Check this out. Brought it back this morning to Caddy service dept. I get handed a bulletin: "PIC 4986C Binding Felt Driving Forward or In Reverse with Steering At Full lock - Nov 4, 2011."
    Condition/Concern:
    A customer may Comment that they feel a bind condition when the car is in reverse. etc, etc.
    It is more noticeable on wet surfaces and in vehicles with the FE3 and FE4 Suspensions. The tire used with the FE1 suspension has a taller sidewall and does not exhibit the stick-slip condition.
    Cares affected: 2010 -2012 FE3 QOM CTS, CTS Wagon with Continental ContiSport 3 (19") tires may exhibit this condition
    Recommendation/Instructions: Do not attempt any repairs for this condition, this is a normal characteristic
    Additional SI Keywords: bumping, chunking, chatter, crow hopping hop jerking, lot noise turn

What a crock of crap. No fix. Live with it they say. So there is nothing to do except spend more of my money to change from the 19" wheels/tires to the standard 18" that come standard on the CTS Coupe which do not have the problem
    backing up and the front end sounds like it is binding up serverly and making a loud clunking noise as you back up over and over. I backed out of a spot and it clanked 3 or 4 times either left or right didn't matter.
    In addition to the front end problem the rear end tires skips when accelerating in a turn more than 25 mph. So I have to go slowly when at a stop and making a turn so that the back end doesn't skip. This car is not
    engineered properly and the public should know about this concealed condition before you buy this car with these issues in these wheels/tires.
    I have NEVER had a car that did these things. I'm 60, and have always had nice cars but none had these issues.

blakbty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts coupe

you are a moron, obviously you have never driven, much less owned a vehicle with performance tires. sorry, but i get upset at such ignorance. this is a completely normal situation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.